SportsWrath

Free Agent Offensive Tackles

Guest StrahansGap

Guest StrahansGap

Something has to be done. Obviously, it won be though the draft. Heres the best of the bunch.

Gathier would be awesome. I'm confident the high class of the ny giants would fix his offseason question marks. What's our cap looking like right now??

1) Jared Gaither, San Diego Chargers

Age as of 1st September, 2012: 26

2011 Grade: +3.8

Key Stat: Only allowed three pressures, no hits and no sacks in five starts with the Chargers.

Behind the Numbers: Throughout his collegiate and pro career Gaither has never been short on talent and quality performances, but off field red flags have prevented teams from giving him a go and two teams have cut their losses with him in the last twelve months. However, when a team puts their faith in him and allows him to play his favored left tackle spot, the results are undeniably outstanding. On sheer talent alone, Gaither has the potential to be one of the five best tackles in the league and he proved that in his five-week stretch with San Diego along with a 2009 season where he was our third-ranked left tackle, behind only Jake Long and Joe Thomas, in pass protection. Gaither shouldn’t be earning top dollar this offseason because of the off-field and commitment concerns, but if someone signs him and trusts him, they will be getting the bargain of the offseason.

2) Demetrius Bell, Buffalo Bills

Age as of 1st September, 2012: 28

2011 Grade: +6.8

Key Stat: Allowed pressure only once every 28 pass plays in 2011, up from 13.6 in 2010.

Behind the Number: Playing under a restricted free agent tag in 2011, Bell looked to be putting together the classic “contract season” performance until it was curtailed by injury. To his credit, Bell didn’t slip into poor performances of the past in a three-game stint at the end of the season, but is 401 snaps of true quality enough for a team to invest in him long term? Bell was Jason Peters’ replacement after he bolted for Philadelphia, but he was slow to repay the Bills’ faith in him. He has taken large strides since his first season as a starter in 2009 drastically reducing his pressures allowed and penalties conceded through 2010 and 2011. Another big stride in 2012 would see Bell join the league’s Top 10 left tackles. If multiple teams see that as a real possibility Bell’s market value could rise when free agency opens.

3) Jeff Backus, Detroit Lions

Age as of 1st September, 2012: 34

2011 Grade: -2.1

Key Stat: Conceded five of his seven sacks in the first six weeks of the 2011 season.

Behind the Numbers: Backus’ regular season start streak now stands at 176 and he finally got to play in a playoff game this season. His value lies largely with the Lions who he has played each of those 176 regular season games with. Backus has played in pass-heavy offenses for much of the second half of his career now under Mike Martz and Scott Linehan’s play calling and his average pass protection isn’t necessarily a great fit with Detroit, but on a short term deal the two parties will at least know what to expect from each other. At his age, Backus may hold minimal value to other teams and it seems unlikely he will remain unsigned long enough to be picked up as a stop gap for other teams who fail to fill a hole at left tackle early in free agency or during the draft.

4) Anthony Collins, Cincinnati Bengals

Age as of 1st September, 2012: 26

2011 Grade: +4.3

Key Stat: In four complete games in the last two seasons has allowed only three pressures.

Behind the Numbers: That Collins ranks fourth among free agency tackles shows the depth, or lack thereof, in this tackle class. That is not to say that Collins isn’t a capable player, but with only five starts in the last two seasons, one of which saw him play only 14 snaps, his body of work is somewhat lacking. However Collins’ quality of play in those starts has been extremely impressive and, but for a No. 5 overall pick sitting above him on the depth chart demanding time to bed in, might have seen him earn more playing time. In his only extended stretch as a starter, 13 straight starts from Week 12 2008 to Week 9 2009, Collins proved to be an adequate starter and a team looking to fill a gap for the short term could get a pleasant surprise in Collins who with four years of experience at age 26 this season has plenty of tread left on his tires.

5) Vernon Carey, Miami Dolphins

Age as of 1st September, 2012: 31

2011 Grade: -4.1 (at right guard)

Key Stat: Miami running backs averaged 5.0 yards per carry off Carey’s outside shoulder this season.

Behind the Numbers: At the back end of our Top 5 comes a Vernon Carey who slid back inside to guard this season and unfortunately returned to his prior, disappointing, level of play there. At 31 Carey is at the age where teams may not want to move him back outside to tackle, but he has undoubtedly played the best football of his career there for Miami. The Dolphins thought they could upgrade their right side by pairing Carey with Marc Colombo, but that failed spectacularly with Colombo playing as poorly for Miami as he did in Dallas and Carey failing to bring his right tackle level of play in to guard. With a shallow tackle class, someone may just take a flier on Carey to re-discover his 2008 and 2009 form at tackle that saw him rank as our fourth-best right tackle in 2008 and our third-best in 2009.

Stop. Please, just stop. We had 4 players that could play tackle before free agency: Beatty, Brewer, Diehl and Boothe. We added another. We still have 4 picks to go.

There's at least two players who have proven they could play tackle at a starting level on the team already. One of them starting on one of the best offensive lines the Giants have had in my experience. And while Diehl's no youngster, he wouldn't be matching up against the Trent Coles of the world consistently on the right side, either.

If you want to pick up interior linemen, that's fine--we could use a backup, especially at center. But we're ok at tackle and probably just need some developmental players.

Guest StrahansGap

Stop. Please, just stop. We had 4 players that could play tackle before free agency: Beatty, Brewer, Diehl and Boothe. We added another. We still have 4 picks to go.

There's at least two players who have proven they could play tackle at a starting level on the team already. One of them starting on one of the best offensive lines the Giants have had in my experience. And while Diehl's no youngster, he wouldn't be matching up against the Trent Coles of the world consistently on the right side, either.

If you want to pick up interior linemen, that's fine--we could use a backup, especially at center. But we're ok at tackle and probably just need some developmental players.

Beatty hasn't proven anything to me yet. Boothe is not a starting LT, and Diehl is on his last legs....period. If Eli has to fight through another San Francisco game like he did in last years playoffs, he may not EVER get up again.

Beatty hasn't proven anything to me yet. Boothe is not a starting LT, and Diehl is on his last legs....period. If Eli has to fight through another San Francisco game like he did in last years playoffs, he may not EVER get up again.

Really so what in Eli's career has shown that he cant take a hit?

I don't think we should discount the fact that the Niners were the best defense in the league last season. The line is a bit of a concern for me but I'm just a fan. I think I have a decent idea of who's pulling their weight but I really don't know shit at the end of the day. I trust Reese, Coughlin and company to evaluate what they have and make the right decisions. I won't argue against two Superbowls in five years.

Guest StrahansGap

Really so what in Eli's career has shown that he cant take a hit?

That's a pretty silly question blue. Everyone knows he can take a hit. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying Reese and company are banking on the fact that Eli WILL get hit and WILL get up again and again. Eventually, it's going to bottom out and it'll be Reese's fault he didn't get better protection for him. It's a big worry for me...that's all.

I'm glad Beatty hasn't proven anything to you yet as if that matters. The Giants see him every day and they were confident enough in his ability to make him the starting LT. And he had to beat Diehl to do it. I'm curious as to which game you saw where you thought Beatty was chopped liver? Fact is, he was the best LT we've had on our team in a long time, before the eye injury.

Likewise, all Boothe has done is shown up and put a hurting on guys, dominating as a run blocker, and shining as a pass protector, too. Anytime you can take Wilfork out of the game with one guy you have a real player. Your evaluation of the line is based on pure opinion, which is based on nothing concrete at all. And while Diehl was a failure at Guard, he performed well moving back to LT... so the thinking is sound that he can play the other side well. I don't have anything against drafting a developmental guy, but our starters are solid.

The Giants have never drafted offensive linemen with the intention of sticking them right on the line. Every player is a 3-year project that's been developed to meet their system. If they want an immediate plug-and-play guy, they use free agency and grab a veteran.

I expect they have confidence in the current players and will pick up a 3-year project in the draft as well as bring in several UDFA's to work out and decide if they have potential down the road.

The Giants have never drafted offensive linemen with the intention of sticking them right on the line. Every player is a 3-year project that's been developed to meet their system. If they want an immediate plug-and-play guy, they use free agency and grab a veteran.

I expect they have confidence in the current players and will pick up a 3-year project in the draft as well as bring in several UDFA's to work out and decide if they have potential down the road.

Chris Snee started from day one. So did Diehl, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt that he was intended to since he was a 5th round pick.

If we want to bring in an FA OT at vet minimum after the draft, I'd be game for that.

While Beatty certainly wasn't a liability, his coming off an eye injury and the lack of a body of work...are concerning. Sure, the Giants have more information on it that any of us and I'll root for the team regardless, but my conservatism and desire to have a backup for every backup...makes me a little uneasy at the OT position. Again, I'm not asking them to go out and sign the biggest name and I'm certainly not leading any sort of charge, but I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't feel reassured if they did pick up an additional guy at a low risk contract, especially now that they didn't draft an OT in the earlier rounds.

I'm not that big on Beatty either.

He's solid, nice pass blocker, but overall he's very soft and got bitched by elite pass rushers. Diehl would atleast slow them down. Maybe I'm wrong.

We drafted two LT prospects with some skill, somebody will get cut, between Diehl, Beatty, Rooks, and Brewer (I like brewer) oh and the vet dude Locklear!! (he's making the team)!

Maddd depth at every fucking position! Wow man dude.

This post possibly maybe completely retarded since I'm mad high and tired. Like damn been up since 8 am and been smokin, workin, and watching intense sports like NBA and draft, plus Yankees, wow I'm insane.

Jimmy Kimmel just told Obama face-to-face to "go easy on the marijuana man" "seriously" "people that smoke weed are good people" yes!

Beatty had a decent season and expect him back and ready to continue right where he left off. Diehl spent too long at LT to move back to guard, should give him a shot at RT. I'd rather have Kevin Boothe or Mike Petrus in at LG this season and would like to see better play from David Baas.

I don't think Brewer is ready, Locklear anything more than depth and for the love of GOD don't bring back Stacy Andrews. I think we can do better than Stacy Andrews.

Offensive line has to be better this year than last...it just has to.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT&tabSeq=2&season=2011&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=true

They gave up 72 QB hits during the regular season. That's about 13th lowest in the league. 28 sacks, for 7th lowest in the league. Our line left a little to be desired last year to be sure, and those numbers are skewed because of Eli's pocket-presence; but considering the defenses we played last year and their emphasis on rushing the QB, that's really not so bad a performance.

Honestly, I think the biggest problem was MacKenzie getting old, Baas being new and injured too much, and Snee having his first season not playing at a probowl level. It appeared to me the right side of the line was falling apart much more often than the left. If you could actually get away with saying this, that worked to Eli''s benefit; because he could at least see the pressure coming.

Nobody's going to confuse Beatty with Ogden, but he wasn't the problem on last year's line, either.

Chris Snee started from day one. So did Diehl, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt that he was intended to since he was a 5th round pick.

You have to remember that Diehl came on during the Fassel years, and those lines were terrible. Snee came in in 2004, when we we were rebuilding that shit-storm, so it wasn't like he had to beat a quality player. Remember, we were freaking out over the loss of Chris Bober at center.

So you can't really point to those two picks when trying to show patterns for the current regime. They both came in before a system was really in place. You can when talking about guys like Beatty, Boothe, and even Koets, who would probably have been our center if he didn't have the knee injury.

Demetrius Bell is an Eagle.

Yep, this is what I was gonna say and they resigned King Dunlap, due to the Peters injury. I think Backus resigned somewhere, we got Locklear and drafted two developmental guys, who could turn out well. We spent all last year developing Brewer. I am liking our depth.

Beatty has a detached retina. I know two people that have had 'em and neither one has ever recovered all of his vision.

It doesn't seem like the Giants are that worried about it but it's a serious, SERIOUS condition. There's no guarantee he ever plays a snap again.