SportsWrath

Welcome Jayron the Hoser.

BlueInCanada

Read this on one of my favorite websites (http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ )

"Okay, remember when I said they might take a slightly controversial player with the last pick in the third round? Well here he is, Jayron Hosley. Flunked the pot test at the combine. Has had some concussion issues. BUT, and this is a big but, he is an absolute ball hawk, having grabbed 10 picks as a sophomore, and he's a very good punt returner. Many of the things Aaron Ross appeared to be, this guy is, and he's physical. But, the injuries have to be checked out. The Giants can't afford to have another third rounder who can't get on the field. If he's cleared medically and the pot test was just a bad decision, we are adding a playmaker to our nickel D, and possibly an impact punt returner".

So....he's our "bad boy pick" who needs to put away the pipe and get down to business in the unforgiving NFL. I trust TC and Reese to drive home the point that it's time to get serious.

Sounds like this guy is a very aggressive player with a mean streak. He will do well on special teams to start because he's been both a successful "gunner" and "punt returner". We haven't had a true "gunner" since Tyree, so that will be nice. I've read that he's like Ross, only with a mean streak.

Here's some quips from Reese and TC about Jayron:

Reese:

Q: In Hosely’s case, what did you say about the drug test?

A: It’s a personal conversation. We’re aware of that, obviously. He’s not the first one to have a situation like that. He’s a young kid—he’s very young. He’s 20 years old. He’s an early-out junior. He knows that’s a bad decision that he made and we expect better from him. We feel like we have a good player in him as well. He’s not a big man, but this guy has athletic arrogance. He plays like a big guy. His skill set, years ago, kind of reminds me of Adam ‘Pacman’ Jones – he plays kind of like that. He runs in there kind of like a little linebacker. He throws himself in there. He has outstanding cover skills. He’s productive. He’s an interceptor, he can intercept the ball, so we expect him to be in our nickel packages. And a bonus is that he’s a punt returner. He can return punts and kicks, but he’s probably a better punt returner than kick returner. He has a lot of good qualities that we like. We think if he was a couple of inches taller, he would be in the first [round] with the first two guys—the two top corners.

TC:

"Opening Remarks: Here, in the bottom of the third round we picked corner Jayron Hosley from Virginia Tech. This is a guy, very competitive, feisty guy with 12 career interceptions. He’s also a punt returner. He’s a physical tackler. He is a competitive guy who many times is matched up on the opponent’s best receiver. Whether it’s the physical aspect of the game, the coming up in run support, the competitiveness in the press position, whether he’s playing from off and just playing the ball in the air. This guy does have outstanding hands and has been able to convert that concept into many interceptions. Quite frankly, he had nine picks in 2010 and they pretty much stayed away from him this year as he added only three. But he also has the potential to be a punt returner. We like him for our special teams aspect also. He’s played the gunner. He can play various kickoff coverages, etc., etc. We feel like we can accomplish a lot with this kind of an athlete. He’s not the biggest guy in the world. That was discussed. However, we do think he is a competitive, feisty guy and he’s one of those people that has not backed down from anybody. Played against some outstanding receivers in his career and did an outstanding job.

Q: It seems like there are a few red flags.

A: There is. He did fail the test in Indianapolis. We’re very much aware of that and we’ve addressed that with him and we’re prepared to address that professionally as well when we do get him here.

Q: You’ve taken some chances on some other players like that in the past.

A: Provided we have enough information about the player to believe that we can work with him and he’s willing to overcome whatever issues he’s had."

He sounds interesting.

From what I read he has an unorthodox stance and playing style, not typical of most DBs.

With how Fewell likes to run multiple DBs on the field hopefully he adds good quality depth and of course insurance for if Thomas doesn't recover or Prince turns out to be a bust.

Nine fucking picks his sophomore year.

I know....how the hell was this kid still around in the 3rd?

Oh that's right....drug test.

Great pickup......Aaron Ross was a bigger loss than alot of fans think. CB was a definite need....no telling if T2 will regain form.

Plus he had hamstring/concussion issues this year. Without any of those flags he's a top 20 pick.

Yeah....without a doubt. His picks fell off last year because he was so adept at pickoffs that other teams learned to avoid passing the ball his direction his final year as a junior.

He's only 20 years old (same with Wilson and Randle) so he's just a kid compared to the players on the team. He won't be asked to cover the best WR in the game - as was the case in the SEC - and will be more of a slot cover where he should excel. He's an aggressive little guy....makes me think of Megget (the little pervert sitting behind bars) who was tough as nails and fought like a cornered wolverine.

Yeah....without a doubt. His picks fell off last year because he was so adept at pickoffs that other teams learned to avoid passing the ball his direction his final year as a junior.

He's only 20 years old (same with Wilson and Randle) so he's just a kid compared to the players on the team. He won't be asked to cover the best WR in the game - as was the case in the SEC - and will be more of a slot cover where he should excel. He's an aggressive little guy....makes me think of Megget (the little pervert sitting behind bars) who was tough as nails and fought like a cornered wolverine.

Plus VaTech ran it alot, even their QB Logan Thomas had 153 carries. Wilson had 290 carries but at a 5.9 ypc clip, thats crazy, their backup Oglesby had close to 100 carries.