SportsWrath

Welcome Reuben Randle

Guest StrahansGap

Guest StrahansGap

From rotoworld

Widely viewed as a late first-round in the mock-draft circuit, Randle was the last player left in the Green Room. Although Randle showed consistent separation in the SEC, his relative slow forty times at the Combine may have sabotaged his draft stock. On the positive side, NFL Films guru Greg Cosell compares Randle to Hakeem Nicks in terms of "athletic movement and deceptive vertical deep speed." A superior talent to Ramses Barden and Jerrel Jernigan, Randle should have the upper hand on the No. 3 role, with Victor Cruz moving inside to the slot in three-wide sets.

He is perfect for the slot. And he'll have to battle Jernigan for that spot.....and with the competition, I suspect he'll win that slot role.

One of the knocks on him was that he didn't do well against the Alabama defense in the last two games. But he was also the no.1 receiver and Alabama shut him down with double teams. On the Giants, there is no way a defense can focus that much attention on him when you got to deal with Nicks on one side and Cruz on the other.

From ProFootballTalk.com:

"Randle has prototype size at 6-foot-3, 212, and ran in the 4.3s at his Pro Day. While his production was limited in LSU’s run-first, passing-unfriendly offense, Randle was still voted first-team All-SEC by the conference’s coaches last season. Randle is a game breaker, averaging nearly 17 yards per career reception. Randle may be the favorite to be the 33rd pick after St. Louis was leapfrogged by Jacksonville for Justin Blackmon on Thursday night".

He is perfect for the slot. And he'll have to battle Jernigan for that spot.....and with the competition, I suspect he'll win that slot role.

One of the knocks on him was that he didn't do well against the Alabama defense in the last two games. But he was also the no.1 receiver and Alabama shut him down with double teams. On the Giants, there is no way a defense can focus that much attention on him when you got to deal with Nicks on one side and Cruz on the other.

From ProFootballTalk.com:

"Randle has prototype size at 6-foot-3, 212, and ran in the 4.3s at his Pro Day. While his production was limited in LSU’s run-first, passing-unfriendly offense, Randle was still voted first-team All-SEC by the conference’s coaches last season. Randle is a game breaker, averaging nearly 17 yards per career reception. Randle may be the favorite to be the 33rd pick after St. Louis was leapfrogged by Jacksonville for Justin Blackmon on Thursday night".

Randle also had a marginal QB throwing to him, and not a pass happy offense, so he could be a dark horse. I like the pick.

Throw him in with the competition and have him fight it out with the others for the slot position.

Luckily we dont need him to boom right at the start of the season, Nicks and Cruz will be more then enough.

However hopefully with time and experience (not to mention Eli throwing to him) he will develop into a solid WR.

Any player in this draft that was "First Team SEC", is a very solid player. It doesn't get tougher than the SEC and he made First Team WR on a team that rarely threw the ball. I think he has sleeper written all over him. And like BlueinCanada says, he won't have to carry the load out of the gate and will be allowed to be tutored by Eli without the pressure of having to do it all. I am psyched. So psyched I put down my beer and uncorked a bottle of Merlot to celebrate a special night. Plus....I don't have to work in the morning so I don't care if I end up shitface....which is what wine does to me.

Any player in this draft that was "First Team SEC", is a very solid player. It doesn't get tougher than the SEC and he made First Team WR on a team that rarely threw the ball. I think he has sleeper written all over him. And like BlueinCanada says, he won't have to carry the load out of the gate and will be allowed to be tutored by Eli without the pressure of having to do it all. I am psyched. So psyched I put down my beer and uncorked a bottle of Merlot to celebrate a special night. Plus....I don't have to work in the morning so I don't care if I end up shitface....which is what wine does to me.

I always wanted to try drinking wine,

then I take another shot of whiskey.

Any blends you would recommend?

“Rueben is an NFL-ready receiver. I think with receivers, it gets overblown with 40 times and speed and this and that. You need guys that are NFL-ready. What I mean by that is this guy is strong, he can catch the ball, he’s a good route runner, he is position savvy and he knows how to get open. To me, those are the successful receivers in the NFL. I think the guys we have now – Hakeem (Nicks) and Victor (Cruz), if you put them at the combine, you won’t notice them. But if you put them on the football field and they just take their game to another level. And this is how Rueben is in our eyes.”

Marc Ross makes a good point here

Cruz is the slot guy.

Randle will line up outside if he wins the #3 job.

You might be right as he's 3 inches taller than Cruz. However, I believe they'll start him at the slot and as he progresses, move more to the outside. Cruz has earned the opportunity to stretch the field and be the homerun threat. Randle will have to prove himself to take that away from Cruz. That's my unprofessional fan's opinion anyway.

Actually, I think Osi had it right. Slot is actually the harder position to learn to play, especially in our offense. Cruz excels there. So it will be Nicks and Cruz on the outside in 2 receiver sets, but when they go to a 3 receiver look, it's likely that Cruz will be the slot and Randle will be outside. Randle's skills really project better to the outside as well.