SportsWrath

Is it possible the Giants trade Osi Umenyiora tomorrow???

Guest StrahansGap

Not to mention a 2nd this year is defined...you know where in the 2nd round that pick will be. A 2nd next year could be anywhere from pick 33 overall to pick 64 overall...a big difference, banking on the unknown vs. the known.

Speaking of knowns and unknowns, we know this year the Giants pick at #32 and #64. We know that if they traded their 2012 1st or 2nd round picks for a 2013 1st or 2nd that the 2013 picks couldn't be any later and there's a 97% chance they would be earlier. Possibly MUCH earlier.

I'll just say that if the Giants feel like they're not getting someone at 32 that can help them win this year then trading out for future picks and a couple extra later round picks begins to make a lot of sense.

Speaking of knowns and unknowns, we know this year the Giants pick at #32 and #64. We know that if they traded their 2012 1st or 2nd round picks for a 2013 1st or 2nd that the 2013 picks couldn't be any later and there's a 97% chance they would be earlier. Possibly MUCH earlier.

I'll just say that if the Giants feel like they're not getting someone at 32 that can help them win this year then trading out for future picks and a couple extra later round picks begins to make a lot of sense.

Dude? :rules:

LOL... thats the OTHER team's pick, not the Giants pick. I.E., Giants trade #32 to, for example, The Bungles, in exchange for the Bungles 2013 first round pick.

Giants are clearly picking at #32 in 2013.

Ok now that you explained yourself, I'm gonna have to call the soup Nazi to make sure you're not blacklisted :P

Lots of chatter on NY sports radio today, and I found this online:

http://www.sportsove...ade-rumors.html

I love Osi, but at 30 years old I would trade him in a second to get some extra picks....or even a higher pick tomorrow.

The sad truth is....we can't afford him. Too many more important young players that are going to need to be paid soon. Time to let Osi go guys......

What do you guys think??

Depends what they could get for him.....I'd want at least a 2nd rounder.

The Giants are waiting to see how the draft pans out before making a move on Osi.. if they get a good offer for him during the draft so be it.. otherwise they'll deal with the issue after and most likely would be a trade than a new deal as Osi thinks he deserves a lot ore than the FO believes he's worth.

What you guys need to understand is that Reese has all the leverage.

If he doesn't get a deal he likes guess what??

Osi has to play 100% for us. He wants money, and that's the only way he will get it. So when he puts up 12 sacks or 6FF this year and gets $20 million on the market we then receive our 4th round comp and call it a day.

I would be greatly disappointed if he's traded for a 3rd. A 2nd I'd sign off on. 2nd and a 5th would be good.

Osi makes just $4 mill so it's cheap for a pass rusher. He will help us repeat.

What you guys need to understand is that Reese has all the leverage.

If he doesn't get a deal he likes guess what??

Osi has to play 100% for us. He wants money, and that's the only way he will get it. So when he puts up 12 sacks or 6FF this year and gets $20 million on the market we then receive our 4th round comp and call it a day.

I would be greatly disappointed if he's traded for a 3rd. A 2nd I'd sign off on. 2nd and a 5th would be good.

Osi makes just $4 mill so it's cheap for a pass rusher. He will help us repeat.

Yes, for THIS year, the Giants have all the leverage. I really don't believe anyone's debating that. The discussion revolves around what you do with him as a player. There's really not that many options.

1. Let him play out this year, do not give him an extension, he walks out in FA next offseason and you pick up a compensatory pick in 2014.

2. Trade him for a 3rd this year or 2nd next year, unload his salary, carrying it over to next year so that we can pay Nicks and/or Cruz.

For the Giants organization, in option one, you get Osi's services for 1 more year and you get a compensatory pick down the road. In option 2, you get draft pick(s) this and/or next year AND you get some salary cap space.

I'm voting for #2 at this point. The 2014 compensatory pick isn't worth much today and I think that his production can be absorbed. The benefits to option 2 really just seem to outweigh those of #1.

I vote option 1. I wanna repeat this year and Osi is a big help at doing that. Especially contract year money hungry Osi.

But you bring a goodpoint that we can rollover that cap room for next year. However you gotta think Reese will burn through most of that $4 mill before the season on rookies and vets.

I vote option 1. I wanna repeat this year and Osi is a big help at doing that. Especially contract year money hungry Osi.

But you bring a goodpoint that we can rollover that cap room for next year. However you gotta think Reese will burn through most of that $4 mill before the season on rookies and vets.

Reese will have to pay the rookies regardless of what happens to Osi. And I really don't think Osi's staying or going will ultimately be a salary cap issue. If the Giants wanted to pay him, I think they'd clear the space to do so. It's a disagreement of worth issue.

I really think, that if the Giants get one of the best pass rushers in the draft (as they have them ranked), that Osi could be traded overnight/tomorrow if they found someone willing to give up a 3rd this year or a 2nd next. Two 4ths would work as well for me. Giants would be protecting themselves AND getting a better return on a player that they're going to lose eventually anyhow.

Yes, for THIS year, the Giants have all the leverage. I really don't believe anyone's debating that. The discussion revolves around what you do with him as a player. There's really not that many options.

1. Let him play out this year, do not give him an extension, he walks out in FA next offseason and you pick up a compensatory pick in 2014.

2. Trade him for a 3rd this year or 2nd next year, unload his salary, carrying it over to next year so that we can pay Nicks and/or Cruz.

For the Giants organization, in option one, you get Osi's services for 1 more year and you get a compensatory pick down the road. In option 2, you get draft pick(s) this and/or next year AND you get some salary cap space.

I'm voting for #2 at this point. The 2014 compensatory pick isn't worth much today and I think that his production can be absorbed. The benefits to option 2 really just seem to outweigh those of #1.

Can you carry cap space from one year to the next?

I wouldn't let Umenyiora go for anything less than a high to mid second round pick and it has to be in this draft.

Umenyiora played half a season last year and still produced. He can play in 2012 and have a double digit sack season for any team in the NFL.

There is only one problem with trading Umenyiora and that is the contract he will demand from his next home.

Can you carry cap space from one year to the next?

Yeah, you can this year, but I can't say for sure about next year into the year after. I think it may have had to do with the lockout last offseason or something to that effect. There was news about it when the salary cap limitations were placed on the Cowboys and Redskins...saying basically that due to the carry-over, they had two years to cover the limitations placed upon them.