SportsWrath

Is it possible the Giants trade Osi Umenyiora tomorrow???

Guest StrahansGap

Guest StrahansGap

Lots of chatter on NY sports radio today, and I found this online:

http://www.sportsove...ade-rumors.html

I love Osi, but at 30 years old I would trade him in a second to get some extra picks....or even a higher pick tomorrow.

The sad truth is....we can't afford him. Too many more important young players that are going to need to be paid soon. Time to let Osi go guys......

What do you guys think??

Depends on what the Giants get for Osi.

If it's something like move up in the first round and get some top ten player who slid down, then I think it would be worth it.

Maybe even for an extra second round pick.

But I think if it's only for a third or later, I would rather just let Osi play for another year then let him walk somewhere else.

Guest StrahansGap

From the link it says Miami is looking hard for a DE. Miami has the #8 pick this year. Lots of goodies at number 8. It's very possible the LT Kalil could slip there. You're talking about the possibility of drafting the best OL in the draft for getting rid of Osi. And this Kalil is the REAL DEAL. I'd do it in a second.....

If it's something like move up in the first round and get some top ten player who slid down, then I think it would be worth it.

But I think if it's only for a third or later, I would rather just let Osi play for another year then let him walk somewhere else.

I completely agree. Unless we get a 2nd, or move up in the first utilizing Osi somehow, then keep him to help you win another championship. If the deal's not right, it's a no brainer, IMO.

From the link it says Miami is looking hard for a DE. Miami has the #8 pick this year. Lots of goodies at number 8. It's very possible the LT Kalil could slip there. You're talking about the possibility of drafting the best OL in the draft for getting rid of Osi. And this Kalil is the REAL DEAL. I'd do it in a second.....

I'd highly doubt Miami would trade the #8 for Osi and the last pick in the first round, maybe if it was Osi, the first and a third. Besides if Miami wanted a DE why not pick that Melvin kid who is arguably the JPP of this draft and have him for his entire career, I was thinking more or less move into the mid to late teens with the Osi trade.

I completely agree. Unless we get a 2nd, or move up in the first utilizing Osi somehow, then keep him to help you win another championship. If the deal's not right, it's a no brainer, IMO.

I also agree.

Guest StrahansGap

I'd highly doubt Miami would trade the #8 for Osi and the last pick in the first round, maybe if it was Osi, the first and a third. Besides if Miami wanted a DE why not pick that Melvin kid who is arguably the JPP of this draft and have him for his entire career, I was thinking more or less move into the mid to late teens with the Osi trade.

You're right.....wishful thinking on my part. Miami would obviously ask for a lot more. We'll see what happens in the next few days. I also agree with keeping Osi one more year if the Giants can't trade up for a solid pick that slips to the middle.....

I have to believe that if they let him walk next year, they'll get a 3rd comp pick anyway, so I can't see trading him for a 3rd. I would be against moving up in the draft unless Reese and TC know something we don't and really love a certain player. Like Reese said, "there aren't 32 players worth a first round pick. And even the top 10 may not be difference makers (except Luck of course, but we don't need a QB). Perhaps trading our 2nd and 3rd for Miami's 2nd and 3rd which would move us up 24 picks in both rounds. We'd have no. 32, no. 40, and no. 72 instead of 32, 64, 96....and Miami would still have their no. 8 overall. Won't happen, but it's something to toss out.

I would trade Osi for a 5th round pick this year and next year.

That wouldn't be smart.

If we let him walk here are the pros

We get a 4th round comp pick when he signs or $20+ million with another team

In the process we get to keep him for 2012 and he will help us repeat as well as play hungry as a fatboy after a rainbow blunt. He will produce bigtime sack/fumble numbers this season if healthy book it. Plus he's only costing us $4 million. Thats Penny's for an elite pass rusher. We pay penny's to all or DEs currently lol.

Anyways yea if the deals not right, then keep Osi and let him walk. We would get the 4th rounder for him by letting him walk. So IMO it's either a 1st or high 2nd round pick for Osi, or we let him walk next year.

We will likely know within 48 hours.

A 3rd this year is worth more than a 3rd next year. And that's not considering the compensatory 3rd we would likely receive for Osi would really be an early 4th rounder (after the last pick of the 3rd round).

So a 3rd rounder might not be out of the question, although I wouldn't do it unless it was an early 3rd.

The Star Ledger had an article on this today too. Seems Osi does not like the idea of playing out his last season with out a new contract. He has also been going full bore at working out since a week after the superbowl to be in the best shape for the best year of his career. he is also determined to show he is not just a pass rusher and that he is the most dangerous DE in the league.

Makes me think, he is going to hold out and miss all of camp. Show up and hurt himself early in the season just like he did last year. Hopefully he comes back strong late in the year again.

I would be shocked to see him traded, Reese is not going to let him go cheap and any GM elsewhere will not want to pay too much for a guy who is going to be coming into Free Agency next year at 31 and has shown no loyalty. Maybe a sign and trade sort of deal but I think that will be costly.

A 3rd this year is worth more than a 3rd next year. And that's not considering the compensatory 3rd we would likely receive for Osi would really be an early 4th rounder (after the last pick of the 3rd round).

So a 3rd rounder might not be out of the question, although I wouldn't do it unless it was an early 3rd.

That's why I suggested a 2nd this year or a 3rd next year for the trade.

If you're relying on compensatory picks, we have to consider a few things. One, I believe they're awarded based on overall gains/losses for a given team in a given offseason. So, if we do let Osi walk, but pick up a veteran FA at a different position...the compensatory pick we'd receive would be lowered and not necessarily be a late 3rd or early 4th. The second consideration, is that the compensatory pick would not be received until the 2014 draft given we wouldn't lose Osi until the 2013 offseason.

So, the value of a 2014 compensatory pick, at the late 3rd/early 4th needs to be weighed against the value of a 3rd this year and against a 2nd next year. Looking at it this way, I'm in favor of working out the trade now, but given the publicity of Osi's deal, teams might simply be expecting the Giants to let him walk next year, thereby making a willing trade partner difficult to find.

We were looking for a 1st rounder last year, no takers. He did not produce last year .....very minimal . sure he was injured for 7 games and He had 16 tackles 9 of them where sacks leaving 7 tackles ( that I can not say could of been on a QB's that was across the LOS. Did he everstop Shifty McCoy?) in contrast Weatherford had 4 tackles last year...... yeah our Punter ,open field tackle of a return man.

I have read teams are offering a 3rd round this year. if so depending on the slot (early 3rd) I wouldn't doubt Reece would pull that trigger.

I have read teams are offering a 3rd round this year. if so depending on the slot (early 3rd) I wouldn't doubt Reece would pull that trigger.

Where have you seen this? I've not heard or seen an actual round being offered. I don't doubt you, just want to read it for myself.

You know, this is the logic most NFL teams follow, that a draft pick now is worth more than a draft pick later...but thats only because the people making the decisions might not be around next year.

As a fan, I'm not going anywhere.... a draft pick in 2013 is worth just as much to me as a draft pick in 2012. The handful of NFL teams that have stability enough to take the long view are able to leverage the win-now mentality of most other teams and stock up on future draft picks. Which soon enough became just as valuable as prior picks given up.

It would be nice if the Giants would do the same. But with two championships in five years, you won't catch me complaining.

nah nobody has offered a third yet.

1 person, jason laconfora said this:

If a team came a callin' the Giants this week, offering say a 3rd round pick for Osi, can't help but think things could get interesting

he just speculated.

That's why I suggested a 2nd this year or a 3rd next year for the trade.

If you're relying on compensatory picks, we have to consider a few things. One, I believe they're awarded based on overall gains/losses for a given team in a given offseason. So, if we do let Osi walk, but pick up a veteran FA at a different position...the compensatory pick we'd receive would be lowered and not necessarily be a late 3rd or early 4th. The second consideration, is that the compensatory pick would not be received until the 2014 draft given we wouldn't lose Osi until the 2013 offseason.

So, the value of a 2014 compensatory pick, at the late 3rd/early 4th needs to be weighed against the value of a 3rd this year and against a 2nd next year. Looking at it this way, I'm in favor of working out the trade now, but given the publicity of Osi's deal, teams might simply be expecting the Giants to let him walk next year, thereby making a willing trade partner difficult to find.

Good points.

CD, another reason a draft pick now is worth more than a draft pick later is that right now you know a lot more about who might be available for you and what you can get in the third round than you do about next year's draft. I understand your point, though. But of course, as a GM, you're going to want your player now, not a year later. It's a win now league.

nah nobody has offered a third yet.

1 person, jason laconfora said this:

he just speculated.

Yeah thats where I heard it Pdub, but it was on NFL network and I was half listening. I must of missed the all importing " IF" at the begining of the statement.

Good points.

CD, another reason a draft pick now is worth more than a draft pick later is that right now you know a lot more about who might be available for you and what you can get in the third round than you do about next year's draft. I understand your point, though. But of course, as a GM, you're going to want your player now, not a year later. It's a win now league.

Sure... no point in stocking up on picks for next year if you won't even be the GM anymore.

Thats why if I owned a team, I want a GM as secure in his position as possible. I don't want him going for win now at all costs, I want him building a team that has a chance to win year in, year out. And that only happens if a guy feels like he'll be there to be a part of it.

Then there's the Al Davis and Dan Snyder method....::full body shiver::