SportsWrath

Gmenroc's Mock

gmenroc

Since I commented on most others, I thought it be only fair to take the criticism on mine...

1. Colts - QB, Luck -- well hell, if I got this one wrong at this point, with the news that came out this week that he WILL be the pick...well, you'd just have to stop reading here.

2. Redskins - QB, Griffen III -- they traded a lot to get to this spot for a reason and RGIII did not visit the Colts for a reason.

3. Vikings - OT, Kalil -- some of their biggest pieces on the team rely on blocking...Ponder, Peterson, and even Harvin. Have to believe later rounds will be filled with defense and a WR.

4. Browns - RB, Richardson -- I think they'd love an OT and would shit a golden brick if the Vikings didn't take Kalil. Keeping McCoy upright will go a long way for his development. But so too, will the ability to run the ball.

5. Buccaneers - CB, Claiborne -- Ronde Barber is old, Aqib Talib is working his way towards suspension or jail time or both. They need some help in the secondary.

6. Rams - WR, Blackmon -- They'll be in need of a backup RB in this draft, but there's value later for that. Some secondary help would be nice as well, but giving Bradford a weapon will not only help Bradford, but will take some pressure off Stephen Jackson and the running game as well.

7. Jaguars - DT, Cox -- they lost a starting DT this offseason, Cox is the highest ranked DT in the draft. A DE could easily be the pick here as well, but bottom line, the DLine needs help and the Jags don't have the ability to draft for BPA at this point...they need a DT.

8. Dolphins - WR, Floyd -- this team has created holes this offseason rather than filled the holes they already had. Replacing Marshall with Floyd will help. I have pushed, and argued as recently as earlier today, that they should go QB. However, regardless of their draft, I fully expect them to pick higher than 8th next year, which should give them a shot at some of the top QBs in next year's draft, which seemingly, are higher ranked than Tannehill.

9. Panthers - DT, Poe -- they need help on the DLine pretty much across the board. I give them Poe here simply because he's a bit shorter and stouter than Brockers. I think the 6'6 Brockers is too tall and could lose leverage against the OG and C of the league. I like the fact that Poe more than doubled Brockers' reps at 225 lbs.

10. Bills - OT, Reiff -- they're ecstatic the 2nd highest OT falls to them without really any question. I think the Dolphins could have considered Reiff, but Miami has bigger fish to fry. Defense was upgraded in a big way via free agency. Secondary upgrades will be needed in later rounds of the draft.

11. Chiefs - DT, Brockers -- they need help in the front 7 on defense. Brockers and Keuchly are both close here for the Chiefs with the edge going to Brockers.

12. Seahawks - LB, Keuchly -- they would have been happy with whomever the Chiefs didn't pick between Brockers and Keuchly, but are happier that it's Keuchly given the glaring need for them.

13. Cardinals - DE, Coples -- has played inside and outside on the DLine and gives the Cardinals some serious depth with Docket and Calais

14. Cowboys - S, Barron -- they need secondary help, big time, in an ever-passing-friendly league. It's really no secret.

15. Eagles - DE, Ingram -- the Eagles have depth across the DLine already. But, with Barron and Keuchly both off the board, the Eagles take the best player available. Ideally, if this is who they're left with, I believe they'd try to trade down

16. Jets - OG, DeCastro -- they're looking to start running the ball more frequently, a plan that got them to two consecutive AFC championships before last year. Running the ball takes pressure off Sanchez/Tebow. A WR here wouldn't be a bad idea either, but they're to be had in later rounds.

17. Bengals - CB, Gilmore -- they add to Jones, Hall, and Clements. They'd address DLine here if there weren't still some serious talent there and they didn't have a pick coming up at 21.

18. Chargers - CB, Kirkpatrick -- Chargers improve on the waning talents of Jammer and Cason, and adds to an improving Weddle

19. Bears - OT, Glenn -- The Bears OLine is inconsistent and needs to have a steady, solid player. Glenn gives that to them at a variety of positions given Glenn's ability to play OG or OT. A revamped OLine will keep Cutler clean to throw to Marshall while clearing holes for Bush and Forte.

20. Titans - LB, Hightower -- while he may open the season as a backup, he'll push the starters for the starting position. This could give the Titans one of the more formidable LB cores. I could envision Kendall Wright, the Baylor WR going here as well, but I lean towards Hightower.

21. Bengals - DE, Jones -- they address their DLine at this point with one of the more athletic DEs in the draft.

22. Browns - OT, Martin -- they don't get Kalil early, but they do follow it up with a solid 1st round prospect in Martin. Blocking for Richardson and keeping McCoy clean will go a long way for that offense.

23. Lions - CB, Jenkins -- they've lost Eric Wright in the offseason in an area where they were already struggling. While they'd love a solid RB, getting one here would be a huge reach. A complement to Calvin Johnson would be the sexy pick given Hill and Wright are on the board, but the holes are all through the secondary and Johnson does pretty well with those that are already there.

24. Steelers - DT, Worthy -- there are depth issues across the DLine in Pittsburgh that could be covered by shifting some current guys around, but that leaves them awfully thin in the case of injury.

25. Broncos - WR, Hill -- Peyton gets a new toy. I really thought about Tannehill here, despite Peyton's signing. I believe the Broncos should learn from the Colts in that life after Peyton isn't always easy, but a backup QB to develop over 3 years could be had later.

26. Texans - LB, McClellin -- With Williams and Ryans both gone, depth should be addressed. McClellin is no slouch and could push for playing time.

27. Patriots - DE, Upshaw -- Patriots have lost two super bowls to the Giants, primarily due to their pass rush. Patriots get a little pass rush of their own.

28. Packers - DE, Branch -- Packers upgrade a position that was not as good as it should have been. Overall defense was decent, but the DE position was lacking at times.

29. Ravens - S, Smith -- Ed Reed isn't getting any younger. Their defense is getting rather old in general and it's high time to inflect a little youth.

30. 49ers - TE, Fleener -- the more I've heard this suggested, the more I like it. Their defense played really well last year. The one issue agreed upon is their passing offense. Fleener only adds to the creativity there.

31. Patriots - WR, Wright -- I like DB and RB here more than WR, so much so that I think they'd trade back out of this pick, possibly to a team looking for Tannehill. But, given it's a mock and I have to go with who's available, I think they attempt to complement Welker. Wright is a good target and provides Brady with another weapon.

32. Giants - DE, Perry -- can't have too many pass rushers...lol. He's best player available, gives us flexibility on the Osi front (and possibly the Kiwi front next year). It could even allow us to trade Osi.

There's a lot that I agree with in your mock but history says that the top pass rushers in this draft will go before the 13th pick. And no Mercilus in the first I think is improbable. For me Mercilus, after Melvin Ingram and maybe Coples (who could probably play in either system), is the best 3-4 pass rusher in this draft.

Nice job. I'm also surprised you still have Kendall Wright going in the first round, though.

And if Perry is still there for us we should be very happy. I think that's a pipe dream, though.

Like I said Perry would be the best DE available next year, if he went back to USC, so I wouldn't mind. Overall, this is a good job.

Thanks...instead of learning for a year at USC...he learns for a year behind Tuck, Osi, JPP...I'm okay with that.

There's a lot that I agree with in your mock but history says that the top pass rushers in this draft will go before the 13th pick. And no Mercilus in the first I think is improbable. For me Mercilus, after Melvin Ingram and maybe Coples (who could probably play in either system), is the best 3-4 pass rusher in this draft.

Nice job. I'm also surprised you still have Kendall Wright going in the first round, though.

And if Perry is still there for us we should be very happy. I think that's a pipe dream, though.

I'll be honest, I was blowing off the later part of my Friday at work and rushed the last 5 or 6 picks so I could leave the office. Having gone through and actually mocking the first round, I did come to realize that the draft is rather deep at DLine players. Whether it be the pass rushing DEs or the stout, run stuffing with some penetration DTs...there are a bunch of them. Add to that, the fact that the top 8 teams have players falling to them in spots where they're desparately needed...and I think some of the DEs or DTs will end up falling, despite they're first round grades. For my mock, it happened to be Mercilus. Could be Perry...could be Jones...etc.

As for Kendall Wright to the Patriots...again, I think trading out of that pick into the second so someone could grab Tannehill is the way the Patriots should go. I really do. But having to mock someone there, and giving them a DE a few spots earlier...and the 1st round DBs gone...I suppose I could see LB depth too with Lavonte David for them...but I think that Welker needs help beyond what they have on the roster currently.

We'll see though...I'm just excited to see what players we end up getting. Always nice to welcome new Giants.