SportsWrath

OH BJ, Say It Ain't So

BronxRik

Brandon Jacobs: Giants' O-line shared my struggles

When Brandon Jacobs left the New York Giants for a backup role with the San Francisco 49ers, the timing made perfect sense.

Jacobs had done all he could do in New York, and frankly, he'd already given Tom Coughlin the best football in his body. Jacobs' running style changed in recent years, as he went from bull-in-a-china-closet menace to sideways-lumbering churner. The Giants struggled in short-yardage situations, with Jacobs driving his coach (and fan base) batty.

But Jacobs is now telling us the evolution of his game wasn't entirely of his doing. Another way put it? It was the offensive line's fault.

"No one's perfect -- somebody's gonna get a step on you at some point somewhere and you're not gonna be perfect," Jacobs told KNBR-AM in San Francisco (via SportsRadioInterviews.com). "Because we had issues. When I was with the Giants, we had issues down the line. Of course, I took the blame for those (because I was) holding the ball. But ultimately, at the end of the day it is my fault because I do have the ball and that's what people see. But there's a lot more than that going on."

We can't imagine this pass-the-buckfest will go over too well with members of the Giants' O-line. As for the 49ers, they better hope Jacobs' theory is right or they just got swindled.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8283bd38/article/brandon-jacobs-giants-oline-shared-my-struggles?module=HP11_headline_stack

only the media could turn a pretty innocuous statement that doesn't even include the words "offensive" and "line" together....into Jacobs lamenting the fact his offensive line sucked in his final years as a Giant.

only the media could turn a pretty innocuous statement that doesn't even include the words "offensive" and "line" together....into Jacobs lamenting the fact his offensive line sucked in his final years as a Giant.

To be fair, or unfair depending on how you look at it, the NFL.com link in the "Latest Headlines" section touted: "Ex-Giant Jacobs: O-line had hand in my struggles last season", but the actual article is titled "Brandon Jacobs: Giants' O-line shared my struggles". The link implies he was blaming the O-line, the title implies both he and the O-line struggled together.

To be fair, or unfair depending on how you look at it, the NFL.com link in the "Latest Headlines" section touted: "Ex-Giant Jacobs: O-line had hand in my struggles last season", but the actual article is titled "Brandon Jacobs: Giants' O-line shared my struggles". The link implies he was blaming the O-line, the title implies both he and the O-line struggled together.

the thing is, they are jumping to conclusions. He could have been talking about anything. He could have been talking about the lack of a fullback of the blocking caliber of even Madison Hedgecock. He could have been talking about the Giants gradual offensive philosophy shift from run first to pass first. He could have been talking about the fact that maybe it was Gilbride changing him into a shifty big-man running back and not of Jacobs own doing---that Gilbride was the one drawing up the plays for him.

Creating a story where there is none by making up the details.

He doesn't even once mention the offensive line.

For all anyone knows, the running game struggles that he's talking about were due to Groundskeeper Willy not laying the turf down right.

we had issues down the line.

I guess if you take that as a figure of speech and not line as in O-line. I guess you would have had to hear the actual interview to know the context and be certain though. It's a non-story, he is right, but he definitely wasn't running with as much authority, either. But as was noted, you just don't say that stuff.

in full:

On if it’s still possible to run straight ahead for a first down on third- or fourth-and-short:

“Oh, no question. You can definitely do it. You gotta have the attitude to do it, and also you gotta have the offensive linemen in front of the back to be able to get it done. I think the 49ers have what it takes to be able to get that yard. No one’s perfect — somebody’s gonna get a step on you at some point somewhere and you’re not gonna be perfect. Because we had issues. When I was with the Giants, we had issues down the line. Of course I took the blame for those (because I was) holding the ball. But ultimately, at the end of the day it is my fault because I do have the ball and that’s what people see. But there’s a lot more than that going on. But like I said, I think the 49ers definitely got what it takes to be able to get that one yard. I think they had the highest percentage in the league all of last year with those conversions.”

I guess if you take that as a figure of speech and not line as in O-line. I guess you would have had to hear the actual interview to know the context and be certain though. It's a non-story, he is right, but he definitely wasn't running with as much authority, either. But as was noted, you just don't say that stuff.

I took it as a figure of speech, figuring if he meant to call out his lineman, he would have said "we had issues with our offensive line." But you're right, that's where my confusion is, at least.