SportsWrath

Giants sign OT Sean Locklear

osi724dasack

and according to beat writer pat traina:

"oh and guess what? Locklear can play right tackle, which likely means the team won't be drafting a tackle."

Hard to say. Very few offensive linemen are ready for battling in the trenches of the NFL....even first rounders. Robert Gallery was the highest rated OT I can remember in my lifetime and was drafted no. 2 overall behind Eli Manning. Gallery looked like crap for 3 years before finally coming up to speed.

All OL players take time to develop. Locklear is an insurance policy.

From Garaflo:

"

Shortly after news broke of the Keith Rivers trade being finalized, veteran offensive lineman Sean Locklear tweeted he's signed with the Giants.

"It feels great to be signed to a team again! Just signed with the G-Men!," Locklear wrote on his Twitter account. "Can't wait to get back and get started. God is Good!"

The team has confirmed the signing via a press release.

The 6-4, 310-pound Locklear was a third-round pick of the Seattle Seahawks in 2004 and started 78 games for them from 2005-10 at guard and right tackle. He made four starts for the Washington Redskins last season - three at left tackle and one at right tackle.

Locklear says he prefers the right side, which is where the Giants currently have a hole after free agent Kareem McKenzie filled that spot for seven years. The 6-4, 310-pound Locklear, who turns 31 next month, said in the team's release he's simply here to fight for a job.

“I talked to all of the coaches – the offensive line coach (Pat Flaherty), coach (Tom) Coughlin. They said ‘Come and compete, just like everybody else. Nothing is handed to you.’ Which, we all know that," Locklear said. "Nothing’s handed to me. So I’m excited to get here and obviously learn and be ready to get back to playing football.”

The Giants have a bunch of options on the offensive line, as they prefer to have. David Diehl and Will Beatty can both play left tackle, Diehl and Locklear could be guards and those two can also play right tackle, as can last year's fourth-round pick James Brewer. So in short, there could be plenty of shuffling between now and the start of the regular season".

Hard to say. Very few offensive linemen are ready for battling in the trenches of the NFL....even first rounders. Robert Gallery was the highest rated OT I can remember in my lifetime and was drafted no. 2 overall behind Eli Manning. Gallery looked like crap for 3 years before finally coming up to speed.

All OL players take time to develop. Locklear is an insurance policy.

Didn't Diehl play very well as a rookie, or was that his second year?

Didn't Diehl play very well as a rookie, or was that his second year?

If I recall correctly, he did play well in his rookie year(he didnt start though, but played often and well when called upon.if I recall correctly)..and really came into his own in year two.

Bottom line, Diehl has been a very underrated player. Guy has been good from day one..and at times has been great. What a great pick he was. He will be greatly missed and hard to replace when he is done(which might be soon unfortunately).