SportsWrath

Parcells to coach saints?

fringe

Sean Payton wants Bill Parcells to coach the New Orleans Saints

By Chris Chase | Shutdown Corner – 2 hours 0 minutes ago

How do you replace a suspended Super Bowl-winning coach? By getting a man who has won two.

Sean Payton has reportedly asked Bill Parcells to become interim head coach the New Orleans Saints in 2012 while Payton sits out the year as punishment for his role in the team's bounty program. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that the two had numerous discussions last week, some of which focused on the idea of Parcells returning to the sideline while Payton serves his suspension.

Sources told Mortensen that Parcells would consider the idea if there was a formal offer but cautioned that numerous factors could derail the plans. It was unknown whether Saints owner Tom Benson had been made aware of the discussions. And Parcells, 71, would have to wait five more years to enter the Pro Football Hall of Fame if he returned to coaching.

The Saints coach was an assistant under Parcells in Dallas from 2003 to 2005.

Is this a good football idea? The biggest argument against is that Parcells would create more upheaval and disruption. Pro football teams thrive on familiarity and order. Then again, you could make the argument that New Orleans will already be in disarray this season and that the authoritarian presence of Parcells could bring order amidst coaching chaos. Who will get more respect in the locker room, a 40-year-old assistant who came into the job by process of elimination or a coaching legend? If anyone could thrive in a temporary role, it'd be Parcells.

Putting aside all that, getting Parcells would be a phenomenal way to stick it to Roger Goodell. "You want to ban me for a year? Here, how about I bring Bill Parcells in to take over." Suffice it to say, that wasn't what Goodell had in mind when he levied those suspensions on New Orleans.

Payton begins his season-long ban on April 1. If Parcells doesn't take over, the team is expected to announce an in-house hire.

This news of the Payton-Parcells talks broke during Tim Tebow's introductory press conference in New York. Last Wednesday, Payton's suspension and Tebow's trade were announced within minutes of each other, suggesting that there's some symbiotic relationship at play. What does it mean? Clearly that Tebow is the best choice to coach the Saints.

This is a lose-lose for both the Saints and Parcells.

The Saints get to waste a season with a washed-up has-been who doesn't really wanna coach.

Parcells gets to further sully his reputation and prove he can't accomplish shit without Belichick.

The Saints get to waste a season with a washed-up has-been who doesn't really wanna coach.

Parcells gets to further sully his reputation and prove he can't accomplish shit without Belichick.

Sully his already Hall of Fame reputation?

Sully his already Hall of Fame reputation?

Belichick sans Parcells: 3 Super Bowl rings, 2 Super Bowl appearances, one Championship loss.

Parcells Sans Belichick: two playoff appearances.

Yes he's going to the Hall of Fame, and I know I'm in the minority here, but I think the Tuna is one of the more overrated coaches in the history of the league.

Belichick sans Parcells: 3 Super Bowl rings, 2 Super Bowl appearances, one Championship loss.

Yes he's going to the Hall of Fame, and I know I'm in the minority here, but I think the Tuna is one of the more overrated coaches in the history of the league.

I happen to think he's one of the best to touch the field and even after he gave up coaching still continued to impact football.

I guess it's all depends on how you look at it.

This is a perfect Machiavellian move by Payton....bring in a super old coach where even if the Saints would win a SB this year it would be entirely normal for Parcells to just go right back into retirement, and thereby avoid the potential nastiness of a situation where the Saints win a Lombardi with someone young like Spags.

(Not that I don't think the Saints wouldn't just dump the young coach to go back to Payton anyway. It'd just be more......uncomfortable.)

-Z

This is a perfect Machiavellian move by Payton....bring in a super old coach where even if the Saints would win a SB this year it would be entirely normal for Parcells to just go right back into retirement, and thereby avoid the potential nastiness of a situation where the Saints win a Lombardi with someone young like Spags.

(Not that I don't think the Saints would just dump the young coach to go back to Payton anyway. It'd just be more......uncomfortable.)

-Z

You know I never took the time to think what his motive might've been.. but I think you're on to something here.

I would concur and he's a quitter. Once he knows things are starting to slide he runs and leaves teams in a bind.

Double Ayup...

I would concur and he's a quitter. Once he knows things are starting to slide he runs and leaves teams in a bind.

I hope The Prosti...errr...I swore to never use that term again...well the other Giants Coach to win two SB's gets in on the last year or two of his eligibility...let him sweat it.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know that he necessarily strung anyone along. I think the delay was a result of the appeal process and the finalization of the suspensions. I think it's further delayed by the the not-yet-released suspensions of the players involved. So I don't see it fair, pinning the declination of his services on Parcells.

I think too, with Parcells being in his 70s, despite not being a me-first guy, he might want to enter the hall of fame while still alive. I read somewhere that had he returned to coaching, it would've delayed his eligibility by 5 years.

In other words, had he already been inducted into the HOF, and then had this opportunity....or had the suspensions been reduced so he only had to coach 1/2 a season as opposed to a full season...or had the Saints fired Payton and given the job to Parcells permanently so as not to create a lame duck coach...all could have lead to his accepting the position as opposed to passing on it.

I don't know that he necessarily strung anyone along. I think the delay was a result of the appeal process and the finalization of the suspensions. I think it's further delayed by the the not-yet-released suspensions of the players involved. So I don't see it fair, pinning the declination of his services on Parcells.

I think too, with Parcells being in his 70s, despite not being a me-first guy, he might want to enter the hall of fame while still alive. I read somewhere that had he returned to coaching, it would've delayed his eligibility by 5 years.

In other words, had he already been inducted into the HOF, and then had this opportunity....or had the suspensions been reduced so he only had to coach 1/2 a season as opposed to a full season...or had the Saints fired Payton and given the job to Parcells permanently so as not to create a lame duck coach...all could have lead to his accepting the position as opposed to passing on it.

Dude, have you even followed this guy's career?

Fatass tried to bail on his coaching contract with the Giants and go to Atlanta, but it didn't happen because the commissioner stepped in and wouldn't let him. Then he left the Giants in fucking JUNE after Belichick had already gone to Cleveland and all of the good coordinators were picked off the coaching staff. Then he pretended that he wanted to coach the Buccaneers (twice) before he bailed on them last minute. Then he left the Patriots because he couldn't get his way and they had the NERVE to draft perennial Pro Bowler Terry Glenn over whomever Fatass wanted. Just for good measure, he strung Atlanta along again for their general manager position before instead deciding to implode the Miami Dolphins as THEIR general manager.

Dude has always been about himself, never given a fuck about any organization not named "The Bill Parcells Foundation," and is as me-first a coach as you'll find. Thanks for giving us two Super Bowls on defensive-minded teams with Belichick as your coordinator, now go away, please.

Dude, have you even followed this guy's career?

Fatass tried to bail on his coaching contract with the Giants and go to Atlanta, but it didn't happen because the commissioner stepped in and wouldn't let him. Then he left the Giants in fucking JUNE after Belichick had already gone to Cleveland and all of the good coordinators were picked off the coaching staff. Then he pretended that he wanted to coach the Buccaneers (twice) before he bailed on them last minute. Then he left the Patriots because he couldn't get his way and they had the NERVE to draft perennial Pro Bowler Terry Glenn over whomever Fatass wanted. Just for good measure, he strung Atlanta along again for their general manager position before instead deciding to implode the Miami Dolphins as THEIR general manager.

Dude has always been about himself, never given a fuck about any organization not named "The Bill Parcells Foundation," and is as me-first a coach as you'll find. Thanks for giving us two Super Bowls on defensive-minded teams with Belichick as your coordinator, now go away, please.

I still dont understand all the hate towards Tuna.