SportsWrath

Giants free agents Dave Tollefson, Jonathan Goff visit other teams

Mr. P

With the second wave of free agency underway, two of the Giants' unrestricted free agents have begun making the rounds.

Defensive end Dave Tollefson will head to Seattle to meet with the Seahawks Thursday into Friday and linebacker Jonathan Goff has visited the Cleveland Browns.

The Tollefson news comes courtesy of someone informed of his travel schedule. The person, who requested anonymity because teams don't usually comment on free-agent visits, said the Green Bay Packers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have also shown interest in Tollefson. The Packers drafted Tollefson in the seventh round in 2006.

The Goff news was reported by SiriusXM NFL Radio analyst Adam Caplan and confirmed by someone who has seen the NFL's transaction wire. The person, who asked not to be named, said Goff's visit with Cleveland was listed on Tuesday's report.

It's unclear if Goff is still meeting with the Browns today or if a deal is close. His agent Bus Cook, when asked via email on Tuesday if there was anything to report on his dealings with the Giants, replied, "No sir."

Goff missed all of last season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered in practice the Monday before the regular-season opener. He was looking fluid in training camp after working on his agility in the offseason. Indications are the Giants would like him back at a reasonable price and with a contract that includes limited guarantees, sort of like the one they gave cornerback Terrell Thomas.

The Giants would also welcome back Tollefson at the right price (i.e. the veteran minimum), but the interest being shown by three teams suggests he could get a better deal elsewhere.

A few other quickies:

--I was at Rutgers' pro day today. The Giants had one scout (Ryan Jones) here. WR Mohamed Sanu ran 40-yard dashes of 4.41 and 4.48 seconds, per the school's official times.

--The Giants had one scout (Chris Petit) at Boston College's pro day today, where LB Luke Kuechly was working out. Obviously, the team would have to break form and trade up in the first round to get a sniff of Kuechly.

--I'm not sure where director of college scouting Marc Ross was today. Maybe at Baylor to see WR Kendall Wright? I'll let you know if I find out.

--CB Aaron Ross' deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars has a base value of $9.75 million over three years, per someone who saw the contract details. (Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times-Union had those digits first.) Ross' deal, as we reported here, could be worth up to $15.3 million.

--We're still waiting on the official numbers on WR Mario Manningham's contract with the San Francisco 49ers. Word going around is $8 million over two years, with $3.5 in the first year and $4.5 in the second year. The first year would be the guaranteed money. I'll let you know for sure once I confirm.

--And finally, I tweeted this but didn't post here: Steve Weatherford's base salaries the next five seasons are $775k, $1.825m, $2.025m, $2.175m, $2.325m. Add in the $3.25-million signing bonus and you get $12.375 of his $12.75-million deal.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/giants_free_agents_dave_tollef.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23nyg

If Tollefson signs elsewhere for a reasonable price tag, because the Giants stuck to vet minimum, it would be a stupid (non)move by Reese.

Sorry, but Tollefson and Blackburn should have been re-signed already.....we aren't talking rockstar demands here.

If Tollefson signs elsewhere for a reasonable price tag, because the Giants stuck to vet minimum, it would be a stupid (non)move by Reese.

Sorry, but Tollefson and Blackburn should have been re-signed already.....we aren't talking rockstar demands here.

Exactly... right up there with letting Kawika Mitchell walk.

Would still like Goff back.

Yeah, I get a bad feeling that Goff will sign somewhere else where they will reap the rewards of him finally blossoming as a very good player. I thought he was right on the cusp in preseason last year before he got hurt.

Yeah, I can't figure this one out. What do you want out of a rotational DE? He's a pro, hard worker, high motor, is productive... he's worth keeping around. Unless he feels he can start elsewhere and make some big money, which could be the case and I certainly wouldn't be able to blame him.

In Blackburn's case, that guy just wants to play football. He did a great job for us, and Goff could be gone, and if he is, you need his veteran leadership. It doesn't make any sense.

Tollefson is going to be a big loss. I'm assuming that he's looking for more money and perhaps a more prominent role because as Joe alluded to, there is no reason for the Giants to wait on him and Blackburn if money isn't an issue.

Agree....

I guess I'm in the minority here that thinks Tollefson can be pretty easily replaced.

Also agree.....and more to the point, Reese has clearly demonstrated that he knows what a player's value is and will not go beyond that number. He does not make the mistake of falling in love with his own players, as fans are more prone to do. It hurts to say goodbye to guys and it always looks like a huge hole when they leave but time and time again, the Giants are better off in the long run (Steve Smith, anybody?).

IMO, Goff should have worked out a one year deal with the team and stayed on board. I'm not going to be too bothered if he's gone. Chase Blackburn played better in the last few games of this season than Goff ever played for us.

Also agree.....and more to the point, Reese has clearly demonstrated that he knows what a player's value is and will not go beyond that number. Heo does not make the mistake of falling in love with his own players, as fans are more prone to do. It hurts to say goodbye to guys and it always looks like a huge hole when they leave but time and time again, the Giants are better off in the long run (Steve Smith, anybody?).

Exactly. :)