SportsWrath

Giants - Jets feuding with Amusement Park developers

Allstarjim

http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2012/03/report_jets_giants_have_issues_with_american_dream_meadowlands_amusement_park_plan.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23nyg

Report: Jets, Giants have issues with American Dream Meadowlands amusement park plan

Published: Friday, March 16, 2012, 10:04 AM Updated: Friday, March 16, 2012, 10:06 AM

10261925-large.jpg

S.P. Sullivan, NJ.com

A Wall Street Journal report says there is conflict brewing between Triple Five and the Jets and Giants.

EAST RUTHERFORD — The folks behind the beleaguered American Dream Meadowlands project may soon find themselves facing opposition from their neighbors: the Jets and Giants.

A report by The Wall Street Journal, citing unnamed sources familiar with the project, finds that talks between the football franchises and the developers, Canadian-based Triple Five, have grown "testy."

Much of the tension stems from traffic concerns, as Triple Five plans to build an amusement park and water park — the largest in North America, they claim — next to the existing structure. The WSJ reports:

The sports teams want the American Dream developers to shut down an amusement and water park on the days of their 20 home games during the regular and preseason, people familiar with the negotiations said. If that doesn't happen, the teams would consider a legal challenge, these people said.

This comes as the developers scramble to finalize a complicated funding structure for the project in hopes that it can be completed in time for Super Bowl XLVIII, which will be held in the Meadowlands in 2014.

A Triple Five spokeswoman recently said the amusement park addition wouldn't likely be completed in time for the Super Bowl, though the mall and entertainment complex was still on track.

Now, I really don't care about this topic that much, I just thought one of the comments underneath the article was hilarious:

I think it's a good idea. Jet fans will have something to do when they leave at halftime.

Parking and traffic is a nightmare at Metlife as it is. I couldn't imagine what having a freakin amusement park open on gameday would be like.

Why not including roads and a high speed rail in the project... a win win... I never understood why we had to take 2 trains from NYC to get to the stadium. A high speed rail from deep long island making maybe 3 stops including one in Penn Station then that next stop in the stadium will do wonders...

Parking and traffic is a nightmare at Metlife as it is. I couldn't imagine what having a freakin amusement park open on gameday would be like.

I highly doubt that this is going to be the case that the park would be open on gamedays in the winter months.

I highly doubt that this is going to be the case that the park would be open on gamedays in the winter months.

True, but that only covers November and December. Parks, at least around NJ, stay open until around Halloween so August, September and October would still be insane.

True, but that only covers November and December. Parks, at least around NJ, stay open until around Halloween so August, September and October would still be insane.

Fair, but from the above they will set something up before they go to court i would assume.

Yeah my assumption is that they will not be open Sept - Oct. Sunday

The other thing that could come into play is Goodell's plan to have every team play in primetime. I don't remember when that's supposed to happen, or if its just something that's still on the table, but I recall him saying he wanted a Thursday night game every week. That along with potential NYG or NYJ Monday Night games could cause even more issues. Like I said tho, hopefully they can work this out and come to a sensible plan of action. I haven't been to a game at Metlife yet, but I was damn sure at the Super Bowl rally. The stadium was only about half full and it still took me an hour to get out of the parking lot.

Damn this 2014 superbowl is gonna be crazy!! Let's just hope the giants are in it!! That'd be epic!! Giants Vs Pats part 3? Lol at the very least let's hope there's no hated teams in it.

Oh God... Could u imagine one of the other NFC East teams celebrating winning the Super Bowl on our field? We HAVE to win that Super Bowl.