SportsWrath

Giants agree to terms with cornerback Terrell Thomas

Nas

http://www.nj.com/gi...s_with_cor.html

Terrell Thomas kept tweeting today would be like Christmas for him.

Well, he just got a nice present.

The Giants reached an agreement with the would-be-free-agent cornerback this morning, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

"It's a GREAT day to be a NEW YORK GIANT!" Thomas tweeted.

Justin Tuck replied, "yay yay yay yay welcome back."

Terms are not yet available.

Thomas, a second-round pick in 2008, probably wouldn't have come close to being a free agent had he stayed healthy last season, which he aimed to make a big year so he could cash in. In training camp, he was working on making breaks on the football to optimize his chances of eclipsing the five interceptions he'd had in the previous two seasons.

But a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee - the second of his football career - ended any hopes of such a big year. Thomas underwent surgery and began rehab, saying everything was "in accordance" to what happened during the rehab of his first ACL injury and claiming he'd be ready to go Week 1.

The re-signing of Thomas means Aaron Ross' time with the Giants is all but over. The 2007 first-round pick, a starter for both of the organization's last two Super Bowl titles, will hit the free-agent market at 4 p.m.

More coming.

With the Thomas signing, we've updated the Giants' free-agency tracker.

Mike Garafolo: mgarafolo@starledger.com

Rolle HAS to restructure.

I hope...but unless he adds years or takes less money, there may not be much of a benefit there. Most of what's due him is not guaranteed/bonus money, rather it's salary. According to Spotrac, is salary this year is 6.75 million, next year is 7 million, and the year after is 7 million. So, converting the 6.75 to bonus money to split out over the next 3 years would save us 4.5, but would really kinda screw us next year and the year after.

I hope...but unless he adds years or takes less money, there may not be much of a benefit there. Most of what's due him is not guaranteed/bonus money, rather it's salary. According to Spotrac, is salary this year is 6.75 million, next year is 7 million, and the year after is 7 million. So, converting the 6.75 to bonus money to split out over the next 3 years would save us 4.5, but would really kinda screw us next year and the year after.

I think Nas means "renegotiate" rather than "restructure" ie. take less money.

That's comforting, reassuring, and a fantastic signing. Webster-Thomas-Amukamara is just fine by me. We'll see what happens with Ross now in FA.

Was just gonna say this. I dont like the the 2 tears of his ACL, but if he works hard enough to come back full strength, hes a very talented player. I too am comfy with that tandem.

Now, as already stated, get Rolle to restructure. :TU:

I absolutely love that we are bringing TT back. However, I think it's a terrible idea letting Aaron Ross walk. We're talking about a position that several of the dudes we had on the roster at the end of the year, weren't on the roster at the beginning of the year....

It's a position that got decimated by some pretty devastating injuries and Aaron Ross, IMO, is probably one of your most improved players on either side of the ball. He looked like garbage at the beginning of the year but by the end, our secondary was shutting down receivers and Ross was a big part of that....I can't see us resigning him for a long term contract, however, and I'm guessing that's why we won't be bringing him back.

I absolutely love that we are bringing TT back. However, I think it's a terrible idea letting Aaron Ross walk. We're talking about a position that several of the dudes we had on the roster at the end of the year, weren't on the roster at the beginning of the year....

It's a position that got decimated by some pretty devastating injuries and Aaron Ross, IMO, is probably one of your most improved players on either side of the ball. He looked like garbage at the beginning of the year but by the end, our secondary was shutting down receivers and Ross was a big part of that....I can't see us resigning him for a long term contract, however, and I'm guessing that's why we won't be bringing him back.

I agree that he was of more value than what a lot of Giants fans gave him credit for. Given the choice between Ross and T2 though, I would've gone with T2 as well. I think Ross is similar to Manningham in that he's the 3rd best guy on his team at his position, is a free agent, and could easily be a #2 elsewhere (and get paid as such). For that reason, I didn't expect either one to return. If the FA market isn't interested in them, would I like them back? Absolutely, but not at #2 money.

I'm not sure Ross is a FA? and if so, he's a cap casualty... Web, T2, and Prince are our top 3 right now.

Good. Hope he's back at full strength or close to it by the time camp rolls around. Ross is gone at this point. Inconsistent with the play and some injuries but he really picked up his game after the early struggles this past season. Two rings isn't a bad tenure with a team. Hope he gets paid well.

Wow, he got alot more then I thought!!!

$7M per on average.. guaranteed or not.. The Giants must think he'll be back to form.

from NJ.com btw:

Steve Smith, along with Boss, returns to the Giants. Smith bolted to Philly last offseason after taking a few swipes at LeSean McCoy and the Philadelphia Eagles on Twitter. Now, after criticizing the Giants on his way out the door, he could once again resolve any issues and try rebuilding his career in a system he knows well.

The Giants add a veteran offensive guard for depth.

David Carr re-signs fairly soon. All things considered, being Eli Manning’s backup is a pretty good gig.