SportsWrath

Saints may be in some shit

Lughead

I'm watching what affect this has on the other teams with which Williams has been employed. If the Saints lose a #1, than I have to believe that the Redskins and Bills should face some of the same music. I believe that that will be today's meeting with Williams. How much was this prevalent in previous teams' actions/meetings. That way, Goodell can hand down punishments to all teams at the same time.

I'm watching what affect this has on the other teams with which Williams has been employed. If the Saints lose a #1, than I have to believe that the Redskins and Bills should face some of the same music. I believe that that will be today's meeting with Williams. How much was this prevalent in previous teams' actions/meetings. That way, Goodell can hand down punishments to all teams at the same time.

Come join the party....err...we would rather not... :P

I don't understand how Woodson reconciles comments he's made saying, you got more if you knocked a guy out of the game or he was carted off, with other comments saying, there wasn't intent to injure someone. Everyone understands you want to make the big hit in football, everybody gets that football is a violent game whose participants accept a high risk of injury. But what you can't have are players making money off of putting people on a cart. Period.

No problem for making a little monetary incentive for making a big 4th down stop, a sack, forced fumble, or INT.... all that is understandable. Getting extra dough for knocking a guy out of a game? That shouldn't happen.

I think none of us want to see the game devolve into something where big hits don't have their place. The NFL has to be very careful where it's going... already, they are starting to turn into the NBA where defense is generally against the rules. Nobody wants to see a game full of penalty flags every time the QB takes a decent shot.

The only problem is both the Skins and the Bills have pretty much entirely different coaching staffs, in the Skins case I think not a single coach/GM that was on the team with Williams is still there so the question is asked do you penalize the current coaching staff that had nothing to do with Williams?

I don't understand how Woodson reconciles comments he's made saying, you got more if you knocked a guy out of the game or he was carted off, with other comments saying, there wasn't intent to injure someone. Everyone understands you want to make the big hit in football, everybody gets that football is a violent game whose participants accept a high risk of injury. But what you can't have are players making money off of putting people on a cart. Period.

No problem for making a little monetary incentive for making a big 4th down stop, a sack, forced fumble, or INT.... all that is understandable. Getting extra dough for knocking a guy out of a game? That shouldn't happen.

I think none of us want to see the game devolve into something where big hits don't have their place. The NFL has to be very careful where it's going... already, they are starting to turn into the NBA where defense is generally against the rules. Nobody wants to see a game full of penalty flags every time the QB takes a decent shot.

I think the difference a lot of players are stating is that the bounties aren't affecting their play on the field. In other words, if they have a chance to hit a guy, they're going to hit a guy. They're going to hit him just as hard whether there's a bounty or not.

But, those players who are talking now cannot speak for every player. The fact of the matter is that the coaches and players create an environment whereas some players could take it upon themselves to go for the bounty every week. A player could become that guy who tries to injure an opponent.

With bounties, the NFL would have to rule individual players' intent on any play where the opponent is injured. As we all know, intent is difficult to judge. Which, is part of the reason bounties are not acceptable and against the rules AND furthermore, why the Redskins, Bills, and Saints should all be reprimanded harshly.

The only problem is both the Skins and the Bills have pretty much entirely different coaching staffs, in the Skins case I think not a single coach/GM that was on the team with Williams is still there so the question is asked do you penalize the current coaching staff that had nothing to do with Williams?

No question the penalties would be less for Skins and Bills, but to overlook documented offenses there and to recognize documented cases in New Orleans would open themselves up to bias/favortism. If the NCAA can hammer USC after the players and coaches who were responsible for the infractions leave, then the NFL can certainly penalize a team well after the fact.

A lot depends upon the investigation itself. Was it centered around the Saints or was it centered around Williams? It's difficult to tell with the media interviewing ALL previous players under Williams. Was the original investigation with the Saints and has it now been expanded? Is the meeting today with Williams and the NFL to determine how far the NFL really needs to take the investigation?

My thoughts are that if there is documented cases of it in New Orleans, and New Orleans gets reprimanded...then the same should follow for any other team where there are documented cases.

It also looks like Payton and the General Manager are going to get some of the hurt as well...probably under the argument that it happened on their watch and that they had to be at least willfully unaware.

Good. Fuck the saints and their dome game...

No question the penalties would be less for Skins and Bills, but to overlook documented offenses there and to recognize documented cases in New Orleans would open themselves up to bias/favortism. If the NCAA can hammer USC after the players and coaches who were responsible for the infractions leave, then the NFL can certainly penalize a team well after the fact.

A lot depends upon the investigation itself. Was it centered around the Saints or was it centered around Williams? It's difficult to tell with the media interviewing ALL previous players under Williams. Was the original investigation with the Saints and has it now been expanded? Is the meeting today with Williams and the NFL to determine how far the NFL really needs to take the investigation?

My thoughts are that if there is documented cases of it in New Orleans, and New Orleans gets reprimanded...then the same should follow for any other team where there are documented cases.

Yah, but the NCAA barely punished OSU.

It also looks like Payton and the General Manager are going to get some of the hurt as well...probably under the argument that it happened on their watch and that they had to be at least willfully unaware.

Loomis should be canned....his boss told him to shut down the program, and he blew it off.

owner publicly backing coach and gm. guess winning games and breaking meaningless regular season records is more important than people's health

I hear there's a bounty on fat bald owners dancing around with goofy umbrellas, i believe it's the girl scouts that put it out there. Gonna get me some tagalongs!