SportsWrath

FARVE'S BACK!!

rico

Sources: Favre to play '06 season for PackersESPN.com news services

Brett Favre informed the Packers on Tuesday that he will definitely play the 2006 season in Green Bay, league and team sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The NFL's only three-time MVP shared his decision with general manager Ted Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy in a telephone conversation on Tuesday morning, the sources said.

Neither Favre, Thompson nor McCarthy was available for immediate comment. Bus Cook, Favre's agent, did not return phone inquiries.

Favre, who had a roster bonus pushed back from March to July while he pondered his decision, has said that if he chose to play in 2006 that it would be his final season.

Favre, 36, is second to Hall of Famer Dan Marino in passing yards, touchdown passes and completions. Marino is the leader with 61,361 yards, followed by Favre with 53,615 and Hall of Famer John Elway with 51,475.

An eight-time Pro Bowl selection, Favre has made an NFL-record 221 consecutive starts for the Packers. He never had a losing record until last season, when Green Bay went 4-12 and he led the league with 29 interceptions.

But the fans at Lambeau Field did not want to see him go. After Green Bay closed a disappointing campaign with a win over Seattle on Jan. 1, Favre left the game with 46 seconds left after throwing for 259 yards and a touchdown and received a thunderous ovation from the sellout crowd.

Favre saluted the fans with a wave and was surrounded by a swarm of photographers as he ran off the field.

Favre extended his NFL-record streak of seasons with at least 20 touchdown passes to 12 and increased his career total to 396. He also established a career high with 372 completions last season, surpassing his previous high of 363 in 1994.

Marino, the NFL's most prolific quarterback, has 420 career TD passes and 4,967 completions.

Information from SportsTicker was used in this report.

I personally think he needs to retire but thats my opinion i think hes WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY past his prime and hes not going to win a SB this year so he should just quit while hes ahead even though hes not ahead!

Farve still has plenty left, but he has no team around him. The o-line is bad, the defense ugggh. His only two good guys are Walker, who wants out, and Driver. I wouldnt put Green in that category cuz he has benn very questionable the past few seasons.

I don't know why everyone wants Favre back so much. He has a little bit left, yes, but no support cast to win now and they are letting last year's first rounder rot on the bench. Another year or two and he may be screwed. It's not as if Favre coming back is going to do anything either...