SportsWrath

2012 NFL Combine

Treehugger

I don't know if anyone was watch but the Giants' TE Coach Mike Pope was running the drills for the TEs at the combine yesterday. Hopefully that gives us a little inside info come draft day.

Amazing how many of these top TE prospects have never worked out as an in-line blocker.

I don't know if anyone was watch but the Giants' TE Coach Mike Pope was running the drills for the TEs at the combine yesterday. Hopefully that gives us a little inside info come draft day.

Amazing how many of these top TE prospects have never worked out as an in-line blocker.

A lot of the kids now have been playing in a Shotgun Spread since Pop Warner.

Top tight ends underwhelming

Todd McShay and Kevin Weidl

Scouts Inc.

Teams in search of the next Rob Gronkowski left the Lucas Oil Stadium disappointed with what they saw from the 2012 crop of tight ends on Saturday.

nfl_a_charles_b1_200.jpg

AP Photo/Dave MartinOrson Charles missed a big opportunity on Day 4 at the NFL combine.

Georgia's Orson Charles (currently the No. 2 tight end on the board) was expected to kill the workout, and while he checked in a bit shorter (6-2½) than expected he did get off to a good start with 35 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press. However, Charles' decision not to run or jump was both surprising and disappointing.

He had a chance to post some impressive results and make some headway as he jockeys for position atop the tight end board, but Charles didn't take advantage of that chance and also had a drop and missed two tougher catches on deep balls.

Charles did show explosive burst in and out of breaks, though, and his hands were strong when plucking the ball on short to intermediate throws. He also did a great job catching the ball in the gauntlet drill, snatching passes on either side of his body while running a line.

Saturday was even more disappointing for Clemson'sDwayne Allen, whose 4.89-second 40-yard dash is well off the average time of 4.77 for tight ends over the past four combines. That time seems even slower when you consider Allen measured at 6-3⅛ and 255 pounds, right near the four-year averages of 6-4¼ and 253.

What makes all this even this more concerning is that Allen ranks behind Charles and No. 1 TECoby Fleener of Stanford in terms of blocking.

As for Fleener, he did not run or take part in drills due to a minor ankle injury, but he is expected to execute a full workout with Cardinal QB Andrew Luck at Stanford's pro day on March 22.

Finally, Louisiana-Lafayette's Ladarius Green projects as the fourth tight end in the class at this point, and he did what he could to solidify his status with a strong workout.

Green had the second-fastest 40 time (4.53) and second-longest broad jump (10-4) among tight ends, and his 34½-inch vertical jump is an inch and a half better than the four-year average.

However, Green is 6-6 and just 238 pounds, so he needs to land with a team that is creative enough on offense to take advantage of his unique tools. It will also be interesting to see how his medical reports turn out, because there is concern about potential tendonitis in Green's knees and negative medicals could hurt his stock.

Underrated TE continues to impress

Temple's Evan Rodriguez is undersized (6-1½, 239) and it's tough to find a position fit for him because he is more or less an H-back/fullback hybrid. However, Rodriguez catches everything thrown his way and is a tough competitor with great football character.

He had a strong showing at the East-West Shrine Game and carried that momentum over to the combine, tying for the best vertical jump (36 inches) among tight ends, posting the third-fastest 40 (4.58) and turning in an above-average broad jump (9-11).

At this point Rodriguez looks like a solid Day 3 value pick, the kind of player who can fill out the back end of the roster as a contributor both on special teams an in the passing game.

Workout warrior emerges

Oklahoma TE James Hanna is the workout warrior of the combine so far. Hanna posted the fastest 40 time (official 4.49), tied for the best vertical (36 inches) and had the third-best broad jump (10-2) at his position. For comparison purposes, the top 40 among tight ends last year was 4.46 (Rob Housler, Cardinals) and the top vertical was 42.5 (Virgil Green, Broncos).

Don't be fooled by the numbers, though. Hanna has never played to his potential, shows stiffness in his movements and does not play to his timed speed. Teams will now go back and take a closer look at his game tape, but don't expect Hanna to suddenly skyrocket up draft boards based on this one workout.

In fact, Hanna's eventual draft slot (he currently carries a late-round grade) should serve as a prime example of how the evaluation process has evolved. Despite public perception, there are no Mike Mamula-like scenarios in the NFL draft these days, with players coming out of nowhere after out-of-this-world workouts. Very few teams still make the mistake of overestimating football potential based solely on workout times and measurements.

I think it was on NFL network that all the "experts" were saying that this years combine was pretty underwhelming across the board. Sure there were standouts like all years and I guess those two QBs Luck and RGSBRGSGSFDDF 12 and 3/4 were impressive but in terms of over all performance across all positions it wasnt as on par as previous years.

I think it was on NFL network that all the "experts" were saying that this years combine was pretty underwhelming across the board. Sure there were standouts like all years and I guess those two QBs Luck and RGSBRGSGSFDDF 12 and 3/4 were impressive but in terms of over all performance across all positions it wasnt as on par as previous years.

For some reason alot of guys chose not to work out this year. Honestly the combine is football three weeks after the super bowl and is pretty overrated and I am huge draftnik. Some RB's posted good times.

And yea Lamar Miller is looking like a beast at the combine as well. He's only been training for the 40 and vertical for 2 weeks. He was cleare 2 weeks agar start training again after shoulder surgery.

He will likely run faster at his combine.

I was hoping Sannu would run a 4.5, but I'm not surprised at the 4.65 and still think He can be a beast. Idk about a deep threat though. But if he plays faster then his time he can still be a beast.

I'm in love with Stephen Hill WR GT, and Josh Robinson CB UCF.

Both of those dudes have top flight, high grade athletic talent that's freakish. Idk how good they are, but they have insane credentials and both should be there at 32. Lamar Miller i still love.

you sure your not gay...

You developing man crushes seems to be almost as common as your pot smoking.

Definately straight, just really comfortable saying whatever is on my mind. I love those two men as prospects for this prized football team and I'm not scared to say it.

Now he's top 15 in mock drafts. That guy just did himself many favours with his workout.

What are the chances if he's still available at 15, the Giants trade up to get him... Canty as good as he is.. is a bit over-priced and is putting a damper on our cap situation.

What are the chances if he's still available at 15, the Giants trade up to get him... Canty as good as he is.. is a bit over-priced and is putting a damper on our cap situation.

Not worth the cost of moving up 1/2 a round. If he's still there in the mid 20s, it might be a bit more realistic.