SportsWrath

Jacobs: I'd play for Jets

Nas

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/jacobs-i-d-play-for-jets-1.3527587

Maybe it's Valentine's Day that has Brandon Jacobs ready to kiss and make up with Rex Ryan. More likely, though, it's the looming reality that his tenure with the Giants soon will come to an end.

The running back told The New York Times Monday that he would like to finish his career as a Giant, but if that doesn't work out, he'd be just as happy to stay in the area and play for the Jets.

The ones coached by Ryan, with whom Jacobs brushed shoulders and exchanged a litany of offensive remarks after the Dec. 24 game at MetLife Stadium? Yup, those Jets.

"It was a situation," said Jacobs, who was participating in a "TNA Impact!" wrestling show in Orlando that will air on the Spike channel this Thursday and next. "We were rivals then. There's no apology needed."

Jacobs is owed a $500,000 bonus next month plus $4.4 million in base salary in 2012, the final year of his contract. He took a pay cut last year to give the Giants flexibility to sign Ahmad Bradshaw and has suggested he would be willing to do so again. What's unclear is if the Giants are willing and how much they would offer a 30-year-old backup running back.

A decision on Jacobs likely will be made by the Giants by the time his bonus is due. That's on March 17. If the Giants don't want him, that day could signal the wearin' of the green for Jacobs.

"I like the way Rex handles his business," he told the Times. "The guys on that team I know, know how I feel."

Notes & quotes: Giants assistant offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. has been hired as offensive line coach for the Chiefs under Romeo Crennel . . . Mike Sullivan, one of the original coaches on Tom Coughlin's Giants staff, was hired as the Bucs' offensive coordinator last week. Sullivan coached the wide receivers for six seasons and the quarterbacks the last two. "At a time when a lot of coaches and a lot of general managers are blocking assistants from having a chance to pursue other opportunities, advancements if you will, I will be eternally grateful for coach Coughlin and Jerry Reese supporting me in this," Sullivan said . . . The Giants signed DE Craig Marshall, TE Ryan Purvis and OL Chris White to reserve/future contracts.

Saw this a few days ago...

I see his mentioning this as two-fold. While he's willing to work with the Giants, he's laying down a line that shouldn't be crossed or he'll ask for a trade/release. This, to ensure that the Giants don't try to low-ball him. At the same time, it immediately generates discussions with a trade partner/new team. All the while, he wouldn't have to uproot his kids/wife and move them across the country. It's a smart move if you look at it from his perspective.

Again, you communicate you're willing to work with your team, but you prepare outs should your ideal situation not come to fruitition.

Jacobs attitude would fit right in on the Jets, but the last thing the Jets need is Jacobs. The Jets have issues at RB and Jacobs is not the answer.

And it's possible after the implosion at the end of this season and everything that came out of the locker room that the Jets will actually smarten up and stop bringing in the attitude cases. Especially because their quarterback has confidence issues.

-Z

Guest StrahansGap

It's a business guys.......plain and simple. I don't blame Jacobs for marketing himself. If he thinks staying with the Giants is an impossibility, why not try the Jets? He wouldn't have to change his lifestyle and uproot his family. I don't EVER question a persons motive when he's just trying to look out for his family.

It's a business guys.......plain and simple. I don't blame Jacobs for marketing himself. If he thinks staying with the Giants is an impossibility, why not try the Jets? He wouldn't have to change his lifestyle and uproot his family. I don't EVER question a persons motive when he's just trying to look out for his family.

Come on man, no one is sending Jacobs to hell for saying he'd play with the Jets, especially if family concerns are his motivation (which you know? or are just assuming?), but that doesn't mean as fans we can't give him a hearty message board middle finger. Especially since about two seconds ago he was throwing expletives Rex Ryan's way and now when it suits him he says "I like the way Rex handles his business". The guy's a total blowhard, and extremely unlikeable.

-Z

horrible acting but yea.. I guess some find that stuff "entertaining"

btw I thought there would be some kind of copy right infringement of BJ using the NY logo in Wrestling.. even as a member of the team.. I guess I was wrong on that front.

My other thought on this topic is that whenever an athlete forgoes loyalty to their team for some sort of other consideration, there's always a big discussion about how bad it is. One point that's always brought up is that the team at the end of the day would not be loyal to him beyond his production or value, which is a totally valid point. The other sentiment that's expressed is usually something like "It's just a game" and that chill out that he's trashing the game's values because obviously the other considerations are more real. That last one gets to me a bit, because yes, football, and all sports are indeed meaningless games. It is a fascinating psychological and socialogical phenomenom that we attach the significance to sports that we do. But the fact is, that the athletes get their millions from this "silly game". This "silly game" is what pays for their fancy cars, clothing and Dre headphones. The day one of these prima donna athletes feels ashamed while cashing his 4 million dollar check for playing a "silly game", then I'll sympathize with him when he doesn't feel loyalty to his team. But insofar as the athlete is making his millions off of a "silly game", he ought to have at least some measure of respect for both the game and its constructs, and one of the games constructs is a feeling of team spirit.

"It's only a game" when it comes to screwing the games values for personal benefit, but when you're cashing a check for playing a silly game while people who actually do important things make a fraction of what you're making, that silly game is oh so real.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you...if the game of football is what feeds you, have some respect for it's constructs and values.

-Z

Come on man, no one is sending Jacobs to hell for saying he'd play with the Jets, especially if family concerns are his motivation (which you know? or are just assuming?), but that doesn't mean as fans we can't give him a hearty message board middle finger. Especially since about two seconds ago he was throwing expletives Rex Ryan's way and now when it suits him he says "I like the way Rex handles his business". The guy's a total blowhard, and extremely unlikeable.

-Z

Totally agree Z, this and your last reply. I understand hes lookin out for his family, but how bad would his family suffer getting a big payday from any other team. And when I say big, I mean big to us. I know he wont get CJ2K type money, but he wont be poor. So as a fan, I flip him off for goin to the enemy, especially since he trashed the enemy so recently.

I have to say though, I like Brandons fire and trash talking. When it seems he has loyalty, its good. Now it may just be hes 2 faced.

My other thought on this topic is that whenever an athlete forgoes loyalty to their team for some sort of other consideration, there's always a big discussion about how bad it is. One point that's always brought up is that the team at the end of the day would not be loyal to him beyond his production or value, which is a totally valid point. The other sentiment that's expressed is usually something like "It's just a game" and that chill out that he's trashing the game's values because obviously the other considerations are more real. That last one gets to me a bit, because yes, football, and all sports are indeed meaningless games. It is a fascinating psychological and socialogical phenomenom that we attach the significance to sports that we do. But the fact is, that the athletes get their millions from this "silly game". This "silly game" is what pays for their fancy cars, clothing and Dre headphones. The day one of these prima donna athletes feels ashamed while cashing his 4 million dollar check for playing a "silly game", then I'll sympathize with him when he doesn't feel loyalty to his team. But insofar as the athlete is making his millions off of a "silly game", he ought to have at least some measure of respect for both the game and its constructs, and one of the games constructs is a feeling of team spirit.

"It's only a game" when it comes to screwing the games values for personal benefit, but when you're cashing a check for playing a silly game while people who actually do important things make a fraction of what you're making, that silly game is oh so real.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you...if the game of football is what feeds you, have some respect for it's constructs and values.

-Z

Well said... my guess is BJ is seeing the writing on the wall and is pretty much asking the Jets to sign him when he gets cut... it seems he doesn't want to move but at the end of the day... both parties will be better off apart.

This.

I've always liked Jacobs....he's done and said things that make me wonder what's going on, but it's clear that he loves being a Giant. Sometimes, it comes out in emotional, immature ways, but that's what happens with people that geniunely care. Look at Steve Smith.....the guy was an ex-Giant quicker then shit through a goose when Philly showed him the money. Same with Boss.

Jacobs, on the other hand, took a pay cut to stay with the team, and is willing to take another pay cut if that works. And if not, he's willing to stay in the area and be a Jet.

If he goes to the Jets next season, I'll wish him luck. He's a big reason why the Giants have won 2 Super Bowls. I'll never forget that 4th and 1 on the final drive of SB 42.

Years from now, I'll think of Jacobs like I think of Jim Burt, Leonard Marshall, and my other favorite Giants.

I think, as far as i can tell, that jacobs was a gentleman in this. he specifically said he wants to remain a giant and is willing to lower his money to help the team out. that , my friends is proof that he doesn want to remain on the team. Of course, he knows that it is possible that he may not fit into the plans of the management. So, He makes a non-threatening statement that if they were to pass on his future that he could see himself as a Jet. Now there are some obvious non-football reasons that Jacobs would want to play for the jets.

1. not having to uproot his family. 2. I undetstand that he is doing some managing and boxing promotion on the side.

I think the giants ougt to cut him a lower deal that is fair to Jacob but also help the team with the cap.If not, then if the Jets want him, then cheers! He's a good guy, don't trash him.

And OK, 1st. One of those guys holding Jacobs back is D. Lo Brown on that video, didn't notice him the first time....haven't heard of that dude in like 15 years.

12320.jpg

2nd. Anyone remember when LT wrestled BamBam Bigelow? That shit was awesome.

And OK, 1st. One of those guys holding Jacobs back is D. Lo Brown on that video, didn't notice him the first time....haven't heard of that dude in like 15 years.

12320.jpg

2nd. Anyone remember when LT wrestled BamBam Bigelow? That shit was awesome.

I was a big wrestling fan as a child along with always being a huge giants fan, LT wrestling bigelow is one of the many wrestling things burned into my brain forever.

I was a big wrestling fan as a child along with always being a huge giants fan, LT wrestling bigelow is one of the many wrestling things burned into my brain forever.

Honestly, I might have to get a TNA pay per view if they have a Jacobs vs. that dude match....

Now that I think about it, I want Jacobs to retire a Giant.

He's the kind of player that's worth more then his production. Not $5 mill, but not vet min either, he deserves about $2.4 per year.

I have such a love/hate outlook on him though. One week I want him cut, weeks later I love the guy. Sorta like Landry Fields but much better and proven.