SportsWrath

Time to Revisit the Defense Doesn't Matter Question?

hlb37

Kind of interesting.

Two of the better performing Defenses in SF and Balt still in the Mix.

One of the very worst D's in NE also still in the mix.

The G-Men played crappy D almost all year but are playing much better now that they are relatively healthy. Could argue this one either way.

On the QB side:

2 of the best, Brees and Rodgers are home.

2 more of the top tier guys, Eli and Brady are still alive.

Flaco has been pedestrian IMO

Smith is like the flip side to the Giants D coin. He didn't have a spectacular season but played at a very high level last week.

Wait, I don't believe I said defense doesn't matter. San Francisco still had to score over 30 points to beat the Saints, and yes, they got help from the defense. But I still don't think you can win a Super Bowl with a pedestrian offense and a superb defense anymore (2000 Ravens, 2004? Buccanneers), but I do think you can do it the other way around. No doubt you can't just be terrible on the defensive side and expect to win. There has to be some balance. But the losses of the Packers and Saints does speak a little more to your point that defenses are still important.

We won the right to be in this 'tournament' when we beat Dallas on 1 Jan ( to quote TC ) .........current form means everything ...and the regular season form means nothing.

There is no doubt in my mind that the re emergence of our D has been absolutely paramount in our recent sucess ....and therefore yes ' DEFENSE MATTERS '

If you look at regular season stats IMO Giants are the worst team currently in the playoffs. My point is they apparently mean nothing.

Exactly...the guy that graduates last in his class in Med School...is still called Doctor.

The G-Man are a good NFL team with exceptional talent were it really counts...and they are peaking at the right moment.

C. Wagon

I think two things are apparent.

1. Your offense needs SOME balance. You don't need to run for 100 yards every game, but there needs to be a mix of short yardage plays, medium distance plays, and long distance plays. Note, this allows for the quick short underneath passes to supplant handing the ball off.

2. Your team needs SOME balance. Your defense can be outstanding with a lackluster but not horrible offense (SF, Baltimore) or your offense can be outstanding with a lackluster but not horrible defense.

I'm not trying to jump down anybody's throat on this. I just find it interesting to look at.

Take the Niners game. Smith played really well and yea they needed to put up 36 points to win the game. But do any of you think they put up even close to 36 points if they are not +4 in the game?

And that's not a 1 off. Their defense has been doing this all year. At +28, they led the league in differential and where tied with GB for most take aways at 38.

I'm not trying to jump down anybody's throat on this. I just find it interesting to look at.

Take the Niners game. Smith played really well and yea they needed to put up 36 points to win the game. But do any of you think they put up even close to 36 points if they are not +4 in the game?

And that's not a 1 off. Their defense has been doing this all year. At +28, they led the league in differential and where tied with GB for most take aways at 38.

GB's takeaways are skewed by the fact that teams were constantly playing catchup on the scoreboard. GB's offense forced opposing offenses to get pass happy. GB's defense knew it and played the pass. As such, GB's interception numbers grew as a result of their offense.

I'm not disagreeing, just pointing out that GB's takeway number is high for a reason other than GB's defense.

Exactly...the guy that graduates last in his class in Med School...is still called Doctor.

The G-Man are a good NFL team with exceptional talent were it really counts...and they are peaking at the right moment.

C. Wagon

Also everyone is called Sir when they leave the Westpoint, Annapolis and/or the Air Force Academy...no matter where they are ranked. I once said to my students...when you get a PhD...no one gives shit where you got it from...the degree itself is the hallmark of successfully mastering a discipline.

Kind of interesting.

Two of the better performing Defenses in SF and Balt still in the Mix.

One of the very worst D's in NE also still in the mix.

The G-Men played crappy D almost all year but are playing much better now that they are relatively healthy. Could argue this one either way.

On the QB side:

2 of the best, Brees and Rodgers are home.

2 more of the top tier guys, Eli and Brady are still alive.

Flaco has been pedestrian IMO

Smith is like the flip side to the Giants D coin. He didn't have a spectacular season but played at a very high level last week.

Defense wins championships because defense will keep you in a game you might not otherwise be capable of winning on any given day.

For example, in the Giants/Packers game, the Packers came out "off" on offense....but their defense couldn't keep them in the game....before they knew it, they were halfway through the 4th quarter, and down 17 points (a good defense doesn't give up that Hail Mary, that's for sure).

For 15 games, the Packer offense was humming along.....the 2 times this season the Packers cooled down, their defense couldn't nail down a win.

For the Saints, a good defense would have held the 49ers to FGs after those turnovers. Personally, I think Gregg Williams was a bad fit for the Saints. The Saints have some much firepower, there's really no reason to constantly gamble with the blitz the way he does.....a conservative defense that limits big plays would be so much more effective given how many points Brees rolls up.

For the Giants, the defense has finally come back on line, and Eli has maintained the high level he's been playing at....the results have been some lopsided victories against some good teams.