SportsWrath

Out of curiosity....

Storm

Giants need to score TDs, and not turn this into an Akers v. Tynes battle.

that's part of what this post stems from...I am so sick and tired of being inside the opponents 5 yard line and having to settle for 3 that is by no means a given, considering we have Tynes, that I could spit.

It's absolutely ridiculous that we have a kicker we can't count on to hit 40 or over. Nas could hit a 40 yard field goal! why do we make it so god damn difficult all the damn time to put up an easy 3 points. Oh yah, because we have Lawrence Tynes on the team.

He's been average on field goals. But he's had a ton of touchbacks this year.

but honestly, fish, who HASNT had a lot of touchbacks this season?

i'd rather have the guy that doesn't go like 4-8 from 40+ (2011) meaning he goes 7-8 and gets zero touchbacks. Unfortunately. We are stuck with Tynes, probably even until next season, which is completely inexcusable.

how is it that he can Kick off one time and hit the upright but the next time he kicks off he cant make it to the 10 yard line?

Kindda like getting nervous... kicking the ball is a lot like throwing a baseball.. the more relaxed your arm is (when throwing a baseball) the farther and faster the ball goes. One of my ex-bosses was a pitcher and he said to hold the ball like an egg... same concept goes with leg... If you really try to boom the ball and end up tighting your leg muscles, it becomes counter-productive.

Matt Prater makes that kick over top the "rusher'. So do 29 other field goal kickers in the NFL.

That's why I blame Tynes.

NFL 2011 kicker average from 40-49 yards: 73%

Tynes: 60%

Matt Prater: 43%

I'm sorry... for whom again is that kick a chip shot? There's a few, but Matt Prater isn't one of them. He's no better than Tynes, he just kicks in altitude.

From playing soccer for years and having to take kickouts and freekicks, I can tell you tynes kicked that ball the way it needed to be kicked and there was no way he could have done it different. Special teams guy was so close they could have hugged. That said, overall he's a piss poor kicker.you would think with experience he would get better, but he's just as unreliable. The new kickoff rule has made him look much better than he is. Truth is, in 2 games, tynes has given the green bay offense more life than the rest of the team. I just hope he's not here next year.

From playing soccer for years and having to take kickouts and freekicks, I can tell you tynes kicked that ball the way it needed to be kicked and there was no way he could have done it different. Special teams guy was so close they could have hugged. That said, overall he's a piss poor kicker.you would think with experience he would get better, but he's just as unreliable. The new kickoff rule has made him look much better than he is. Truth is, in 2 games, tynes has given the green bay offense more life than the rest of the team. I just hope he's not here next year.

Amen to that.. I still don't know how Akers ended up with the 49ers.

NFL 2011 kicker average from 40-49 yards: 73%

Tynes: 60%

Matt Prater: 43%

I'm sorry... for whom again is that kick a chip shot? There's a few, but Matt Prater isn't one of them. He's no better than Tynes, he just kicks in altitude.

Akers is 12 times the kicker Tynes is. How's that?

Amen to that.. I still don't know how Akers ended up with the 49ers.

I wouldn't fault anyone for that. If he worked out for the niners then good for them, but again it's that whole thing where the eagles always seem to know when a guy is done syndrome. I would rather bring in a rookie.

Let's just hope Tynes doesn't screw the pooch on Sunday. We'll have to deal with this in the offseason. Another special teams suggestion. Find the BEST guy coming out this spring at returning punts and kicks and draft him. I'm tired of these retreads and guys the Giants are just sticking back there hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. Jernigan has shown a few glimpses but I have a legitimate fear for his safety.

I honestly think that Tynes might be trying to get more height on the ball and not so much kicking it out of the back of the endzone, encouraging the KR to bring it out and get tackled INSIDE the 20...maybe I'm just trying to find a reason for his kickoff inconsistency.

I honestly think that Tynes might be trying to get more height on the ball and not so much kicking it out of the back of the endzone, encouraging the KR to bring it out and get tackled INSIDE the 20...maybe I'm just trying to find a reason for his kickoff inconsistency.

I used to boot the ball thru the uprights on kickoffs from the 30 yard line... mind you I weigh 125 lbs. Makes me wonder had I not panicked and looked for a full time job in 2002-2003 what might have happened. After I tore my Achellis in 2010 I don't think I'm the same.. have been too careful to even play more than one pick up game of basketball. Maybe it's hard finding a kicker... maybe I would freeze if I was in a situation where you have to make a kick..or go home.. like Billy Cundiff... I think being a kicker in the NFL is the most thankless job.