SportsWrath

San Francisco: Keys to Victory

gmenroc

I enjoyed the win thoroughly yesterday and today with all the talking heads and the folks at the office who know I'm a Giants fan.

Now, back to reality.

I think San Francisco is one of those teams that we could take too lightly as a team coming off an emotional victory over Green Bay. So my #1 key to victory is for the defense to be knocked down a few pegs and shown what could've happened had GB not dropped the balls they dropped and what could've happened if the ball didn't bounce our way here or there. I don't want the coaches to shatter confidence, but the defense needs to be reminded that there is room to play even better.

Number 2, more specifically, if we can play man on the WRs while doubling Vernon Davis with a LB/S...I think we're in good shape defensively.

Number 3, I am not nearly as concerned about our offense against their defense as perhaps I should be. Given they play in the NFC West against the likes of St. Louis, whose RB is overdone and easily defended when there is no passing game there to speak of; Arizona; whose only threat involves Larry Fitzgerald, a lackluster QB, and no running game to speak of; and Seattle, who is mediocre competition at best. What I'm getting at is that stats the SF defense has put up, could be overrated based on their competiton. That said, they're not horrible by any means, not at all. But they're not the 2000 Ravens that many are comparing them against. 2 and 3 yards per run is all we need to be successful offensively. And that should be opened up by our passing game. I like the 3 WR/2 RB set a lot this week. Single coverage on the WRs, check to pass. Doubling WRs, check to run.

Continue to be the more physical team. The Niners are the most complete team in the league this year and their one suspected weakness led game winning touchdown drives two different times on Saturday. Both teams are coming off big emotional wins but I trust the coaches to have this team ready and not overlook anything. I trust the players too. There are still plenty of guys from 07 that know what it takes to get through the playoffs.

I never lost sight of how different the outcome of this game might've been very different... if it weren't for the dropped passes... Those receivers were mostly open...I don't recall us sacking Rogers with a DL till late in the game... I don't if GB OL is just that good but damn... and maybe they were holding and playing dirty.. but damn.. the DL wasn't as physical as they should've been.. and neither was the OL in terms of opening up running lanes or protecting Eli from all those hits.. illegal as they may have been.

Let's not fool ourselves... our Strength is in Eli, Nicks, and Cruz... in that order. Use them to soften up the front for the running game.. It's not something I wanted to accept but for whatever reason we're not a good running team.

Guest StrahansGap

San Fran will be a much tougher opponent than Green Bay was. Rodgers was rusty coming off a 3 week hiatus. San Fran is coming off of their most emotional win of the season and more than that, they are tied with the Giants in the "being physical" department. The 49ers are tough. They love to hit and they don't let up.

Most obvious "key" to next weeks game for me?

.....Score more points than them! :ermm:

San Fran will be a much tougher opponent than Green Bay was. Rodgers was rusty coming off a 3 week hiatus. San Fran is coming off of their most emotional win of the season and more than that, they are tied with the Giants in the "being physical" department. The 49ers are tough. They love to hit and they don't let up.

Most obvious "key" to next weeks game for me?

.....Score more points than them! :ermm:

Alex Smith can be had... The X factor is Eli... let's make it happen.

They're defense is definitely no joke. They have only allowed 3 rushing TD's all year, including the playoff game... that's 17 games, and only 3 rushing TD's allowed. They led the NFL in stopping the run, only 77 yards per game. Say what you want about who they played but this is the team that stopped LeSean McCoy to the tune of 18 yards on 9 carries. Ray Rice 59 yards on 21 carries. Justin Smith, Navarro Bowman, Patrick Willis, and oh yeah, that rookie Aldon Smith with 15 sacks this year... that's 4 legit studs in their front 7. And really, Smith is about as unblockable as it gets one on one. This team deserves a lot of respect for their defense.

As for keys, I think obviously, shut down the run game and make Alex Smith try and beat you. I agree you have to try and single up the WR's, Webster on Crabtree, obviously, and Ross on Kyle Williams or Ginn... then you play zone underneath. Give Smith a bunch of different looks, a lot of different coverage looks, as well. I think you blitz Smith a bit more than we did against Rodgers. Smith had a lot of trouble with the blitz at different times in the New Orleans game, but in the 4th quarter he made some plays against it. I think pressure with 5 will be enough, and you have to account for Davis on every play, and Del Walker is a guy you can't forget about either.

I think the Giants can take the game plan they had against the Falcons, and use it here, as I think the offense is pretty similar.

The one thing I worry about with this game is that it seemed like a lot of guys got dinged up in that Packers game. I know they came back in to play, but we don't know how those guys felt when they woke up this morning. Canty, Deon Grant, JPP, Ross, Blackburn, and Cruz all had their dings in that game, and I might be missing a couple of guys. Hopefully, they are all full go for the 49ers, because once again, it's all hands on deck.

As for attacking the 49ers defense, you just have to go at them through the air. No use even trying to run on these guys early, it's not going to be met with any measure of success. In fact, the very first play I'm looking play-action for a deep ball. Carlos Rogers gets a lot of hype and he has the Pro Bowl recognition, and no doubt he's a very good corner. But Cruz owns him. And Hakeem will too. Whoever he is matched up on, I have a strong feeling that we can exploit that matchup and really, their secondary, any of our guys at receiver should win against them every time.

Our defense need to really focus on frank gore. The dude is amazing with running and catching the ball. I hate for them to use him to weaken our defense by pulling the LB off. They will run run run on us, so the run stop need to be super successful early. If we could do that with a few points ahead of them then we have a great chance. Forcing alex smith throw on us.

Agree that our offense should come out swinging and that we should throw a few deep ones to start out the game. But giving manning that kind of time to throw is hard against this 9er defense. I think we need to start the Eli no huddle magic early and quick. Might not be as effective early but gazing those guys out could only help. But then again you don't know which gillbride will show up. Dude love to waste the first outting to cop a feel of the game.

GO GIANTS!!!!!

Number 3, I am not nearly as concerned about our offense against their defense as perhaps I should be. Given they play in the NFC West against the likes of St. Louis, whose RB is overdone and easily defended when there is no passing game there to speak of; Arizona; whose only threat involves Larry Fitzgerald, a lackluster QB, and no running game to speak of; and Seattle, who is mediocre competition at best. What I'm getting at is that stats the SF defense has put up, could be overrated based on their competiton. That said, they're not horrible by any means, not at all. But they're not the 2000 Ravens that many are comparing them against. 2 and 3 yards per run is all we need to be successful offensively. And that should be opened up by our passing game. I like the 3 WR/2 RB set a lot this week. Single coverage on the WRs, check to pass. Doubling WRs, check to run.

you do realize we played them in week 10 and their Defense was pretty freakin strong. They have D Linemen like us, LB's unlike us and an improving backfield (like us). oh, and alex smith looked great against us.

We're doomed ^_^

Some not so hot news

70% chance of rain in San Fran for Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat and Gameday. Just like they say about Cali "when it rains it poors"

As long as out WRs get good footing as well as or D we will be fine. But that field maybe a disaster. Hopefully it's all tarped up.

you do realize we played them in week 10 and their Defense was pretty freakin strong. They have D Linemen like us, LB's unlike us and an improving backfield (like us). oh, and alex smith looked great against us.

We're doomed ^_^

Yeah, I know they played very well against us and by no means do I think this will be a walk in the park. But my confidence in our offense has grown substantially over the past month and think that they can at least hang with SF's defense if not beat it at times.

Even if you call our offense vs their defense a wash, our defense vs their offense is a definite advantage for us.

Yeah, I know they played very well against us and by no means do I think this will be a walk in the park. But my confidence in our offense has grown substantially over the past month and think that they can at least hang with SF's defense if not beat it at times.

Even if you call our offense vs their defense a wash, our defense vs their offense is a definite advantage for us.

you may be on to something there. their receivers aren't scary. VD has big games and then goes on the tank for 3 or 4. It was mostly just match ups with NO. Gore is a bruising runner but not a big play guy for the most part. delaney walker is scary out of the backfield but has a broken jaw and will have trouble getting on the field.

I never lost sight of how different the outcome of this game might've been very different... if it weren't for the dropped passes... Those receivers were mostly open...I don't recall us sacking Rogers with a DL till late in the game... I don't if GB OL is just that good but damn... and maybe they were holding and playing dirty.. but damn.. the DL wasn't as physical as they should've been.. and neither was the OL in terms of opening up running lanes or protecting Eli from all those hits.. illegal as they may have been.

Let's not fool ourselves... our Strength is in Eli, Nicks, and Cruz... in that order. Use them to soften up the front for the running game.. It's not something I wanted to accept but for whatever reason we're not a good running team.

What fuckin game where you watching nas? there were alot of times nobody was open so Rogers ran for the first down. I dont wanna hear shit about dropped fuckin passes. Thats GB;s fault not ours so lets ALL put the dropped passes to rest.

What fuckin game where you watching nas? there were alot of times nobody was open so Rogers ran for the first down. I dont wanna hear shit about dropped fuckin passes. Thats GB;s fault not ours so lets ALL put the dropped passes to rest.

Over the years I've learned to look past the final score... Yes we won.. you bet your ass I was happy... I wasn't too thrilled with how open those receivers were... luckily passes were dropped... meaning there's work to be done still.. relying on the other team fucking up is not a good strategy.

In my opinion, the dropped passes by GB were as deflating to them as the poor officiating was to us. Had GB completed those passes, it could easily have been use packing our bags today and not GB.

Yeah, it's GBs fault they dropped them...nobody will argue that, but it was our defense's fault that the ball made it to the hands of the receiver. In other words, our defense should have limited their drops by not allowing the ball to get there in the first place.