SportsWrath

Falcons TE Gonzalez Wanted To Be A Giant

Mr. P

Tony Gonzalez, the future Hall of Famer, has only played for two teams in his 15-year NFL career, the Kansas City Chiefs and the Atlanta Falcons.

But it turns out he wanted to play for a third team -- the New York Giants.

“I think about it all the time,” Gonzalez said Wednesday, according to the Newark Star-Ledger. “I was pushing for that, too. But it didn’t happen; I think they thought I was too old back then.”

Gonzalez was referring to the time following the 2008 season, when his 12-year run with the Chiefs came to an end. Instead of the Giants, Gonzalez wound up with the Falcons, with whom he has had a very productive three seasons. This year, Gonzalez finished with 80 catches for 875 yards and seven touchdowns.

One thing Gonzalez has never been part of? A postseason victory. His teams have gone 0-4 in the playoffs during his storied career.

He hopes to get his first taste of postseason success on Sunday, against the team he once wanted to be a part of.

http://espn.go.com/b...d-to-be-a-giant

would have been nice.

Yeah I always wanted him....he would have been an improvement over what we had/have...but Killdrive's offense does not utilize the TE to its fullest potential. That was probably part of their reasoning.

has ballard been hurt, btw? i didnt hear anything about him being injured but Pascoe got the nod.

prolly not, but i've yet to hear a Linval Joseph call all season...

He leads the DTs of the team in tackles and has couple of sacks to go along with the year as well.

Not saying he was the best DT to play this year but he wasnt exactly absent either.

WTF?? Lineal Joseph is not the worst starting DT in the league. Not at all, he's been upper mediocre and has been steadily improving every week at a slow but steady clip. Guy will be a really good player hopefully. Talents there that's for sure and he seems to be putting the work

In. Him and Austin should

Be a nasty duo if all goes well.

WTF?? Lineal Joseph is not the worst starting DT in the league. Not at all, he's been upper mediocre and has been steadily improving every week at a slow but steady clip. Guy will be a really good player hopefully. Talents there that's for sure and he seems to be putting the work

In. Him and Austin should

Be a nasty duo if all goes well.

un·der·whelm (ubreve.gifnlprime.gifdschwa.gifr-hwebreve.giflmprime.gif, -webreve.giflmprime.gif)

tr.v. un·der·whelmed, un·der·whelm·ing, un·der·whelms

To fail to excite, stimulate, or impress

but sorry. i forgot. every starter on the Giants team is top ten in the league in talent.

He was 12th in the NFL among DT's in tackles. That includes Justin Smith, who is listed as a DT but is really a DE in a 3-4.

Linval is a good player. A player at his position makes great plays by occupying more than one blocker, not just getting in a tackle or making a sack. He is an emerging talent, and definitely no where near one of the worst DT's in the NFL.

BTW, JPP led all defensive linemen in the NFL this year in tackles. Pretty impressive.

He was 12th in the NFL among DT's in tackles. That includes Justin Smith, who is listed as a DT but is really a DE in a 3-4.

Linval is a good player. A player at his position makes great plays by occupying more than one blocker, not just getting in a tackle or making a sack. He is an emerging talent, and definitely no where near one of the worst DT's in the NFL.

BTW, JPP led all defensive linemen in the NFL this year in tackles. Pretty impressive.

Yeah, Linval's not great, but he does what he's supposed to do. And at least he's way better than the last Joseph to wear #97.

And I think its worth bearing in mind that he's a 2nd year player at a position that takes 3-4 years to develop. He's producing well enough, and if he keeps working he'll only get better.

There have been a couple of plays I've seen him make lately that I was really impressed by. He got outside on a sweep play and tackled the ball carrier against Dallas that I thought was an incredibly athletic play for a DT to make. It's also worth keeping in mind that Fewell will play Tuck or JPP at DT and Canty or Bernard the other on 3rd downs, sometimes going with the 4 DE line, and, except for recently, the 3 man line that did not feature a DT at all... couple that with the fact that we rotate our linemen with regularity... the fact that Linval made as many tackles as he did this season means he was highly active and it's a pretty impressive tackle number he put up. He ranked 12th in tackles but if all the info was there, I'd bet he'd be top 5 in tackles on a per snap basis among DT's this year.

Yeah, Linval's not great, but he does what he's supposed to do. And at least he's way better than the last Joseph to wear #97.

And I think its worth bearing in mind that he's a 2nd year player at a position that takes 3-4 years to develop. He's producing well enough, and if he keeps working he'll only get better.

Funny thing that....like William Joseph ...they are both Haitian.... :P