SportsWrath

Perry Fewell signed through 2012

Mr. P

It turns out that Perry Fewell's job was safer than anyone realized.

The Giants quietly gave their defensive coordinator a one-year contract extension last winter, meaning he is signed through the 2012 season, according to a source familiar with his situation. He originally signed a two-year contract back in 2010, which had many believing his deal was going to expire at the end of this season.

That, coupled with the fact his defense is ranked 27th this season, led to speculation that the Giants were planning to replace Fewell. The speculation only grew when Steve Spagnuolo, the Giants' defensive coordinator in 2007-08, was fired recently as head coach of the St. Louis Rams.

But it appears no change is planned, especially now that the Giants have won the NFC East -- thanks at least in part to the revival of Fewell's defense the last two weeks. That could change, though, if Fewell ends up getting a head coaching job, which isn't out of the question. He interviewed for four jobs last winter -- with the Panthers (where he was the runner-up to Ron Rivera), the Broncos, the Browns and the Titans.

Teams can begin to request permission to interview assistant coaches on teams in the playoffs beginning next week. Fewell's candidacy could be helped by the NFL's "Rooney Rule" which requires teams to interview at least one minority candidate before they hire a new head coach.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/01/perry-fewell-signed-through-2012

Well unless Someone takes Gillbride for any open HC job then what you see this year is what you will see next year only worse. IF IFFFF Gilbride goes to another team Martz is on the market..... just saying but I think he would be looking for a HC job also.

Well unless Someone takes Gillbride for any open HC job then what you see this year is what you will see next year only worse. IF IFFFF Gilbride goes to another team Martz is on the market..... just saying but I think he would be looking for a HC job also.

I would sooner eat my own feces and wash it down with a pitcher of diarrhea than have Mike Martz on the Giants coaching staff.

Fewell has to go too.

I would sooner eat my own feces and wash it down with a pitcher of diarrhea than have Mike Martz on the Giants coaching staff.

Fewell has to go too.

Yeah I'm not into "system coordinators" like martz. I'd rather a guy who can adjust to the available talent.

Cheap freaking Mara. Why can't he throw a few case of money at Spag and lure him back??

You know what. They paid Fewel a couple of bucks with a cheese burger on top. The clown ass dude probably didn't know what he was signing cuz he was mind fuck by the food in his mouth. Yes I don't even understand a word of that. This is how we Asians vent.

Fewell has to go too.

Agreed....Martz's "system" usually results in landing the starting QB on IR.

If the Giants defense stifles Atlanta, Fewell won't be fired.

Cheap freaking Mara. Why can't he throw a crew case of money at Spag and lure him back??

You know what. They paid Fewel a couple of bucks with a cheese burger on top. The clown ass dude probably didn't know what he was signing cuz he was mind fuck by the food in his mouth. Yes I don't even understand a word of that. This is how we Asians vent.

LMAO

i'd rather keep Fewell than go another round on the DC carousel.

Especially since his side of the ball is healthier now than it has been all season and his secondary suddenly straightened up and appears to actually belong on an NFL football field, finally. Straighten up the LBs further through the draft and FA and I think this team can be a top 10 D, with Fewell at the helm. Granted, the players have to play all season, not just selectively, and certainly no just the final 3 weeks of the season.

Another thing, Rolle and Phillips stepping up the last two weeks is huge. They can hide a lot of weakness at linebacker if the can keep playing to their potential.

i'd rather keep Fewell than go another round on the DC carousel.

Especially since his side of the ball is healthier now than it has been all season and his secondary suddenly straightened up and appears to actually belong on an NFL football field, finally. Straighten up the LBs further through the draft and FA and I think this team can be a top 10 D, with Fewell at the helm. Granted, the players have to play all season, not just selectively, and certainly no just the final 3 weeks of the season.

Another thing, Rolle and Phillips stepping up the last two weeks is huge. They can hide a lot of weakness at linebacker if the can keep playing to their potential.

You didn't notice the radical shift in Fewell's scheme in the last two weeks?

You didn't notice the radical shift in Fewell's scheme in the last two weeks?

I certainly noticed the defensive front four getting much more pressure (aside from JPP, no one has been). I didn't so much notice a "radical shift" in Fewell's scheme. I did notice some guys in the secondary, Rolle and Phillips mainly, who FINALLY seem to understand what the fuck they are doing in Fewell's scheme.

But for example, I have not seen a drastic increase in blitzing or a shift to man coverage on defense. I am more of the opinion that side of the ball finally came to play and came out with some fire and heart. Having Boley back is huge, too.

Well players knowing their role in the defense and executing it at a high level could be considered a dramatic shift. The idea that Rolle and Phillips finally seem to understand what they're doing is most unusual considering they've both had to fill in for injuries and inexperience at LB & CB. Now maybe, just maybe the LBs & CBs got healthy and are finally doing what they're supposed to be doing.

I certainly noticed the defensive front four getting much more pressure (aside from JPP, no one has been). I didn't so much notice a "radical shift" in Fewell's scheme. I did notice some guys in the secondary, Rolle and Phillips mainly, who FINALLY seem to understand what the fuck they are doing in Fewell's scheme.

But for example, I have not seen a drastic increase in blitzing or a shift to man coverage on defense. I am more of the opinion that side of the ball finally came to play and came out with some fire and heart. Having Boley back is huge, too.

Fewell has to go too.

:ermm: Although german, I don't think I would demonstrate my displeasure in quite that way. But I would not be happy.

And Fewell needs to go.

Cheap freaking Mara. Why can't he throw a few case of money at Spag and lure him back??

One error in spelling, one in tense. Another in punctuation. And yet that second paragraph is the most incoherent, psychotic rambling I've seen in a while. It's...dare I say it? Art. :cheers:

umm guys chill out. the Mara's NEVER let a coach go into the final year of a contract they always at least extend it a year. They don't like having lame duck coaches on their roster.

which means you expect fewell to be extended again after this season?

i dont think anyone isn't chill, it's just news to me at least that he was extended after last season.

:ermm: Although german, I don't think I would demonstrate my displeasure in quite that way. But I would not be happy.

And Fewell needs to go.

One error in spelling, one in tense. Another in punctuation. And yet that second paragraph is the most incoherent, psychotic rambling I've seen in a while. It's...dare I say it? Art. :cheers:

LOL. Thank you thank you.

Just because he has a year left doesn't mean we can't upgrade the position. Sure, it makes it more a slap in the face to fire a guy as opposed to letting him walk and nonchalantly hiring someone else, but either way, the owners are looking at the best interest of their ball club.

:laugh:

Now the topic of this thread... I was having a good day so far till I read this shit in the daily news... Hopefully Tree is right and they fire him.

They've been playing a LOT more man/cover-2 and way less soft zone, just like we've been screaming for them to do all year.

27th in what? They are 25th in total points, and here is the capper.. #7 in giving up passing TD's could you imagine what the number would be if they didn't have a pass rush?

If was up to me this guy would be gone and I would do everything in my power to bring back Spag's. Fewells only concession is the fact that he had to deal with a ridicules amount of injuries that being said he is the proud proprietor of the SECOND WORST DEFENSIVE PERFORMANCE IN TEAM HISTORY.

how can this be ignored?

27th in what? They are 25th in total points, and here is the capper.. #7 in giving up passing TD's could you imagine what the number would be if they didn't have a pass rush?

If was up to me this guy would be gone and I would do everything in my power to bring back Spag's. Fewells only concession is the fact that he had to deal with a ridicules amount of injuries that being said he is the proud proprietor of the SECOND WORST DEFENSIVE PERFORMANCE IN TEAM HISTORY.

how can this be ignored?

It can't be ignored but it can be justified that 3 or 4 playoff teams also have a crappy defense.

He has adjusted and done more getting after the QB on 3rd and long and I haven't seen the 3 man rush in weeks. That said, if we have any chance at Spags, you have to fire Fewell. I don't know why the article seems to indicate that just because Fewell is under contract for 2011 that the only way he leaves is via a head coaching position elsewhere (like THAT'S going to happen). He could very well be fired.