SportsWrath

The Leaping G-Men

Treehugger

As most of you know, I like to bitch and moan about poor tackling technique, especially from our secondary. However, I haven't seen any of the "throw yourself at the runner's ankles" bullshit lately. Instead, we've seen several examples of our runners (Bradshaw, Hynoski, Pascoe & Ballard) leaping over CBs who attempt the same thing. Anyone think the two are connected? Maybe the O saw it all the time in practice and have shown the DBs why it's a shitty technique?

I think it's more that one guy tried it, had success, and the second guy saw the same defender and thought, 'what the hell, it worked once'

You gotta admit though that they time the jump beautifully, like they've practiced it.

You gotta admit though that they time the jump beautifully, like they've practiced it.

Perhaps I just hope that they don't waste practice time on such things. Part of me cringes when I see a TE make the active decision to hurdle a defender as opposed to lowering a shoulder and running them over. Ahhh, the NFL of old vs. the NFL of today.

Perhaps I just hope that they don't waste practice time on such things. Part of me cringes when I see a TE make the active decision to hurdle a defender as opposed to lowering a shoulder and running them over. Ahhh, the NFL of old vs. the NFL of today.

I'm not suggesting they actively practice it, more that it's what the DBs would show them in practice.

I'm not suggesting they actively practice it, more that it's what the DBs would show them in practice.

I'd have little doubt that they study how a given opponent tackles. Whether or not they have the defense replicate it on the practice field is another story.

It depends how low the defender goes... if leaping can get us more yardage.. so be it.. although I must admit I LOVED the hit Bradshaw laid on Pool from the jets... fucking classic :flex:

I think it's more that one guy tried it, had success, and the second guy saw the same defender and thought, 'what the hell, it worked once'

No way. CLEARLY someone from the Giants frequents this board, and loves Treehugger's advice.

My guess is Mario Manningham.

I read on the Giants main board that the Giants in film study saw that Newman does a lot of ankle diving and they in turn would attempt to hurdle or high step any of his patented ankle grabs. Sorry I don't have a link...you just have to emm...err...trust me. :blush:

I read on the Giants main board that the Giants in film study saw that Newman does a lot of ankle diving and they in turn would attempt to hurdle or high step any of his patented ankle grabs. Sorry I don't have a link...you just have to emm...err...trust me. :blush:

I'm permanently banned from there :)