SportsWrath

Fewell off the hook?

Treehugger

I think his one solid argument even without playoff wins would be that he never had all of his impact players healthy to play his defense; and that of all of the positions most critical to his defense ...CB...was the most devastated by injury. That coupled with the Giants making do with journeyman LB's would be his most effective argument. I personally think that zone...Tampa 2 and otherwise ... is not a scheme that can be played effectively by our players consistently other than as a change up from man. I think its 50/50 right now on whether he stays or goes... a playoff win would keep him here though. IMHO.

One or two games don't make up for a season of ulcers... we were shredded by a lot of teams. Injuries or not.. all teams have them. Him rushing 3 on 3rd downs only to allow opposing teams to get 1st downs time after time after time was maddening. Let's see how far we go.. AND how good the D plays in the stretch if any.

I think his one solid argument even without playoff wins would be that he never had all of his impact players healthy to play his defense; and that of all of the positions most critical to his defense ...CB...was the most devastated by injury. That coupled with the Giants making do with journeyman LB's would be his most effective argument. I personally think that zone...Tampa 2 and otherwise ... is not a scheme that can be played effectively by our players consistently other than as a change up from man. I think its 50/50 right now on whether he stays or goes... a playoff win would keep him here though. IMHO.

Setting low expectations for a defensive roster that's LOADED with high draft pix.

Yeah, I think T is dead on and Nas has good points as well. If the Falcons embarrass the Giants, I believe he will be fired.

the thing is, he doesn't have to be fired, just not re-hired.

his contract is up after this season either way.

It seems to,my eye at least, that Fewell has been mixing in a LOT more man/cover-2 coverage to great (and totally expected) effect.

I pointed that out to my old man in the last game.

"Oh look... he's switched to press man coverage on third down. We'll probably actually stop them as opposed to all that soft zone bullshit."

Sure enough, whenever we went to man (against the Jets) we stopped them.

Regardless of the win, he's not going anywhere. He'll get an extension, and Coughlin will at least be offered one. Whether or not Coughlin accepts it or just flat out retires is another thing. Realistically, what decent DC's are out there anyway/on the chopping block?

Regardless of the win, he's not going anywhere. He'll get an extension, and Coughlin will at least be offered one. Whether or not Coughlin accepts it or just flat out retires is another thing. Realistically, what decent DC's are out there anyway/on the chopping block?

Spags

Said who?

Why would he? First for him and his pride to lose his HC job and go right back to where he was... would be nothing less then accepting his HC time as a total failure with no growth or change.

then for the Gmen who had been paying him so much when he left them- they know he is a short term hire unless he is going to be moving Tom out of the head spot.

then for the Gmen who had been paying him so much when he left them- they know he is a short term hire unless he is going to be moving Tom out of the head spot.

In fantasy land, this would be the ideal situation. Have Spag's come back as DC, coach up the defense, and promise him the HC job when Coughlin retires (because that's the only way Coughlin isn't the HC anymore). Compared to what he had to work with (or without really) in St. Louis, I think he'd be successful with the Gmen.

I would buy into the "he didn't have his players this year" business if we weren't getting shredded by decent offenses last year, even when we had Thomas, Goff, et al.

He may or may not be a good DC--but he's proven over 2 years now that he's not a very good fit for this team.

I have developed a different attitude on Fewell over the past two weeks..... the NFL is now an arena league, and once Philly signs Spags, then that will leave Jack Del Rio as the next best choice....and I don't know if that will be a huge upgrade over what Fewell. Like others have said, it depends on how the Falcon game goes

Notice I said 'realistically'? Spags will want another shot at HC.

So who's defense was so bad they ax the DC?

Sure he'd want another shot at a HC position but who's gonna give it to him after St. Louis? The league is littered with ex-HCs in DC roles.

Yeah, I don't think Spags will get a HC offer right after being fired by St. Louis. I think Spags got dealt a situation where nobody could've succeeded with that roster and that QB carousel over his 3 years, but there will still be nobody knocking on the door this quickly to hire a guy coming of a 3 year tenure with that record. Spags will go back to DC, somewhere, unless he jumps to the college ranks where he could get a HC job, but I really think that is highly unlikely.

I have developed a different attitude on Fewell over the past two weeks..... the NFL is now an arena league, and once Philly signs Spags, then that will leave Jack Del Rio as the next best choice....and I don't know if that will be a huge upgrade over what Fewell. Like others have said, it depends on how the Falcon game goes

One could argue that Del Rio has a better shot at a HC job this year than Spags--he definitely has a better record, and has had a couple seasons ending in playoff games while playing in a tougher division.

I'm still not sure that I understand the logic of Spags not coming back to the Giants out of pride, while he would go back to Philly when he left there on far worse terms. Or that it's a done-deal that Philly would out bid us for a coach--that has nothing to do with cap space, and we've shown willingness to spend money on coaching in the past.

I might've been Fewell's loudest critic on here this season, and I would still dump him faster than a dead stripper in my hotel room, but I have to give him credit. He seems to have finally adjusted somewhat to the personnel and, from what I can tell, has left the 3 man rush and the prevent defense on 3rd and 10 behind. Seems to be calling a more aggressive game plan. I still see some stuff I don't like. I really don't like seeing JPP lined up pre-snap inside. I think he's far more disruptive at end. But he is doing better recently.

I might've been Fewell's loudest critic on here this season, and I would still dump him faster than a dead stripper in my hotel room, but I have to give him credit. He seems to have finally adjusted somewhat to the personnel and, from what I can tell, has left the 3 man rush and the prevent defense on 3rd and 10 behind. Seems to be calling a more aggressive game plan. I still see some stuff I don't like. I really don't like seeing JPP lined up pre-snap inside. I think he's far more disruptive at end. But he is doing better recently.

Nope.. I hold that title, Jim. I started hammering at him when no one was pointing at other factors... Sorry but I'm not sold on Fewel.. he's a step above Sheridan imo