SportsWrath

If Fewell goes, who would you want to replace him?

JMFP

I really think Gilbride has improved over the last few seasons. My only quibbles with him now are his over-attachment to delayed hand-offs and screens, and the slow starts the O was having evry game (which he's seemed to adjust for recently). Even the four missed "top left fade" routes in the endzone last week were probably options made by Eli.

He's actually admitted that the first couple of offensive series are throw-aways; that he uses them to get a feel for the defense. That kind of drives me crazy, since the first series can do so much in setting tone. Don't care for the screens, since our linemen seem to have enough trouble blocking without moving, setting up and then blocking. The quick outs to WRs always suck. And his goal-line run selection leaves a lot to be desired: Jacobs is simply not effective running outside the tackles, and with teams anticipating run, the sweeps more often than not result in lost yardage.

I don't have great football memory like BB25, Jim, and Fish (I got a life :P)... but I don't think Reese has "neglected" the Oline.. we have had guys in the farm so to speak.. developing... Beaty? Petrus? Guy Whimper didn't pan out? And who would have thought both Richie and O'Hara would suffer career-ending injuries... for that he gets a pass.

Fewel should be shown the door.... as a matter of fact I would advocate having excellent assitant coaches who can step in should we feel the need to fire a DC or an OC midseason.. can you imagine have a stud assitant like a Spags type (when he was a LB coach in philly)...

I agree that you can't blame Reese for the Oline. He drafted Beatty and Petrus, who were/are doing just fine on the line. Drafted Brewer this year, and as expected, he didn't play--not at all surprising since he's a development player drafted in a terrible year to be a rookie. And don't forget Koets, who was doing a good job as center last year, but just couldn't come back from injury this year. The line was not neglected--some didn't pan out, we got bad breaks with some. And we got some good breaks.

I didn't see anything in Baas' play that was glaringly horrible. He just can't seem to stay on the field. Honestly, I think the big problem was Diehl at guard. Once Petrus came in, there has been a marked improvement overall. I don't think Boothe is an upgrade at center, and Beatty was doing his job at LT.

The Oline play this year has been shockingly bad. Frankly, I was expecting much more considering the cut/paste job we did last year that was still allowing us to perform well in the run game. Yes, Seubert was a loss, but the drop-off shouldn't have been this big. We were in effect replacing 1 player this season (Seubert) since we knew we could plug in guys at center since O'Hara was effectively out all last season.

I think if Diehl can't transition to RT next year, he might not have a spot at all.

-----------

I think we need a former linebackers coach as DC. We have a bunch of young, talented guys in that squad with no direction--they desperately need to be coached-up, and that's not happening right now. If the vets in the secondary are looking lost, can you imagine how these rookies feel? Even if we keep Fewell, and I hope we don't, we need a new LB coach: the ones we've had and currently have are not developing our drafted players at all.

He's actually admitted that the first couple of offensive series are throw-aways; that he uses them to get a feel for the defense. That kind of drives me crazy, since the first series can do so much in setting tone. Don't care for the screens, since our linemen seem to have enough trouble blocking without moving, setting up and then blocking. The quick outs to WRs always suck. And his goal-line run selection leaves a lot to be desired: Jacobs is simply not effective running outside the tackles, and with teams anticipating run, the sweeps more often than not result in lost yardage.

I agree that you can't blame Reese for the Oline. He drafted Beatty and Petrus, who were/are doing just fine on the line. Drafted Brewer this year, and as expected, he didn't play--not at all surprising since he's a development player drafted in a terrible year to be a rookie. And don't forget Koets, who was doing a good job as center last year, but just couldn't come back from injury this year. The line was not neglected--some didn't pan out, we got bad breaks with some. And we got some good breaks.

I didn't see anything in Baas' play that was glaringly horrible. He just can't seem to stay on the field. Honestly, I think the big problem was Diehl at guard. Once Petrus came in, there has been a marked improvement overall. I don't think Boothe is an upgrade at center, and Beatty was doing his job at LT.

The Oline play this year has been shockingly bad. Frankly, I was expecting much more considering the cut/paste job we did last year that was still allowing us to perform well in the run game. Yes, Seubert was a loss, but the drop-off shouldn't have been this big. We were in effect replacing 1 player this season (Seubert) since we knew we could plug in guys at center since O'Hara was effectively out all last season.

I think if Diehl can't transition to RT next year, he might not have a spot at all.

-----------

I think we need a former linebackers coach as DC. We have a bunch of young, talented guys in that squad with no direction--they desperately need to be coached-up, and that's not happening right now. If the vets in the secondary are looking lost, can you imagine how these rookies feel? Even if we keep Fewell, and I hope we don't, we need a new LB coach: the ones we've had and currently have are not developing our drafted players at all.

Yes Gut I agree....you get a feel of a defense by trying to score...not experimenting/feinting that G.F. seems to revel in on the first two offensive sets. That type of rigid scripting went out with Joe Walsh.

-----------

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes! This ^ Excellent, Fish, you nailed it.

One of few who realize that this decision isn't up to us. You guys draw up a list like santa drops them off to teams in need..

You realise this is a Giants message board where Giants fans gather to discuss Giants topics, right?

:P