SportsWrath

Free Agent LBs

Sephiroth

Our linebackers suck ass; this is an undeniable fact. However, there are an interesting number of FA linebackers available this offseason that could be significant upgrades from the crop of ass-suckers that have landed us at #30 in total defense this year. Among the names that pique my interest:

Jon Beason - was a bit injured, no? I don't get to see a whole lot of Carolina games, but he always seems to be around the ball and has to be an upgrade from... uh... whoever plays middle linebacker for us.

E.J. Henderson - borderline Pro Bowler who could step in right away and solidify the defense.

Lawrence Timmons - will know the system once we fire Coughlin and hire Cowher after missing the playoffs at 7-9. Could add some toughness and smarts to the position.

Stephen Tulloch - could have sworn this guy was just a FA but is another guy having a borderline Pro Bowl season in Detroit. And honestly, who wants to play in Detroit? He's a tackle machine and could probably be had on the cheap since he seems to be flying under the radar.

Brian Ulracher - good luck getting him out of Chicago. But he'd bring instant cred to this defense and shore up a problems spot for us since Antonio Pierce's departure. Smarts, toughness, and still pretty fast and agile for 10+ seasons. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

honestly, I'd want a guy like J.Harrison or R.Lewis who would take a mofo's head off if they came across the middle...penalty or not.

That's a great point. How about Osi to Pittsburgh for Harrison and, what... a fifth?

I'm with you, we need someone to inject this D with a whole lot of nastiness, and that guy's not Johnathan Goff.

That's a great point. How about Osi to Pittsburgh for Harrison and, what... a fifth?

I'm with you, we need someone to inject this D with a whole lot of nastiness, and that guy's not Johnathan Goff.

It's hard to say if Pittsburgh would part with Harrison and with Osi having just a year left on his deal (I think) - I don't know if that would even be entertained.

Not to mention, with Pittsburgh running a 3-4, I don't feel that Osi would be a good DE in a 3-4 set. Osi is too hell bent on rushing the passer and getting pushed by while running lanes open underneath. Pittsburgh's LBers are good enough to fill the holes when need be, but I don't know that Pittsburgh would be inviting that problem in...in exchange for one of the LBers who's very good at plugging the hole. Make sense?

Guest StrahansGap

Goff and sintim would've helped us a ton if they didn't get injured. Im not so sure this thread would've been made, and I also think we would've clinched the division 2 weeks ago, if those guys were heathly.

Not sure about Sintim, but Jon Goff was playing tremendous football in the preseason. He was diagnosing plays and quick to the ball. The guy was living in the offense's backfield. I do think maybe you don't put all your eggs in one basket, but as a long-term solution, I think Jon Goff is that guy... and I didn't think so last year. He sold me with his play in the preseason.

We do need an early round draft pick, though. I like Boley, no issues there. The problem I have is that Kiwanuka should either be a DE on passing downs or on the sidelines. Our problem is that we have only one linebacker that is a good 3-down player, and that's Boley. So hopefully we find a difference maker in round 1 of the draft.

I think Bigblue25 or BiC was talking about Hightower from Alabama. Of the film I've seen of him, he seems kind of slow, more of a run-stopper and doesn't seem to be the 3-down linebacker I think we need. Kuechly from Boston College I'm more on the fence about. I have to see more of him. The best ILB based on film that I've seen is Manti Te'o from Notre Dame. He seems just a little bit quicker, a little more explosive than guys like Burfict, Hightower, and Kuechly.

A player I really like that I think could step in on the strong side and be that 3 down linebacker is Ronnell Lewis from Oklahoma. He's a hitter but can run and get to the sideline in a hurry. He also wears #56. LT fan? He plays with his hand in the dirt at OU as a 4-3 DE, but that's not what he'll be in the NFL at 244. This guy is a linebacker. I can hear it now, the blah blah blah about converting a DE to LB, and he's a 3-4 guy and "can't play LB in a 4-3", and all that noise. He's a linebacker, he has a linebacker body, and can run. What I care about is can you run? Can you go sideline to sideline, hit a RB, and run with a TE? Lewis can do that. You put the tape on of him and you see the explosion that you want to see. You see what I saw in Von Miller last year. He's an impact player, and he'll be a linebacker in the NFL, not a DE, and he'll be a damn good one, too.

Not sure about Sintim, but Jon Goff was playing tremendous football in the preseason. He was diagnosing plays and quick to the ball. The guy was living in the offense's backfield. I do think maybe you don't put all your eggs in one basket, but as a long-term solution, I think Jon Goff is that guy... and I didn't think so last year. He sold me with his play in the preseason.

We do need an early round draft pick, though. I like Boley, no issues there. The problem I have is that Kiwanuka should either be a DE on passing downs or on the sidelines. Our problem is that we have only one linebacker that is a good 3-down player, and that's Boley. So hopefully we find a difference maker in round 1 of the draft.

I think Bigblue25 or BiC was talking about Hightower from Alabama. Of the film I've seen of him, he seems kind of slow, more of a run-stopper and doesn't seem to be the 3-down linebacker I think we need. Kuechly from Boston College I'm more on the fence about. I have to see more of him. The best ILB based on film that I've seen is Manti Te'o from Notre Dame. He seems just a little bit quicker, a little more explosive than guys like Burfict, Hightower, and Kuechly.

A player I really like that I think could step in on the strong side and be that 3 down linebacker is Ronnell Lewis from Oklahoma. He's a hitter but can run and get to the sideline in a hurry. He also wears #56. LT fan? He plays with his hand in the dirt at OU as a 4-3 DE, but that's not what he'll be in the NFL at 244. This guy is a linebacker. I can hear it now, the blah blah blah about converting a DE to LB, and he's a 3-4 guy and "can't play LB in a 4-3", and all that noise. He's a linebacker, he has a linebacker body, and can run. What I care about is can you run? Can you go sideline to sideline, hit a RB, and run with a TE? Lewis can do that. You put the tape on of him and you see the explosion that you want to see. You see what I saw in Von Miller last year. He's an impact player, and he'll be a linebacker in the NFL, not a DE, and he'll be a damn good one, too.

I like Te'o als'o, but he announced he's staying his senior year.

Our linebackers suck ass; this is an undeniable fact. However, there are an interesting number of FA linebackers available this offseason that could be significant upgrades from the crop of ass-suckers that have landed us at #30 in total defense this year. Among the names that pique my interest:

Jon Beason - was a bit injured, no? I don't get to see a whole lot of Carolina games, but he always seems to be around the ball and has to be an upgrade from... uh... whoever plays middle linebacker for us.

E.J. Henderson - borderline Pro Bowler who could step in right away and solidify the defense.

Lawrence Timmons - will know the system once we fire Coughlin and hire Cowher after missing the playoffs at 7-9. Could add some toughness and smarts to the position.

Stephen Tulloch - could have sworn this guy was just a FA but is another guy having a borderline Pro Bowl season in Detroit. And honestly, who wants to play in Detroit? He's a tackle machine and could probably be had on the cheap since he seems to be flying under the radar.

Brian Ulracher - good luck getting him out of Chicago. But he'd bring instant cred to this defense and shore up a problems spot for us since Antonio Pierce's departure. Smarts, toughness, and still pretty fast and agile for 10+ seasons. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Brian Ulracher... even though he's on the decline.. .still better than anyone we have. But yea.. good luck landing him.

Guest StrahansGap

Brian Ulracher... even though he's on the decline.. .still better than anyone we have. But yea.. good luck landing him.

Urlacher or not, I wouldnt sign ANY 34 year old linebacker, and I highly doubt Reese would either. He's a great player. 7 time pro bowler. Great leader. But he might be past his prime. Not to mention, the raiders or redskins will break the bank for him.

No thanks. I'll take a younger, cheaper option any day of the week.

Urlacher or not, I wouldnt sign ANY 34 year old linebacker, and I highly doubt Reese would either. He's a great player. 7 time pro bowler. Great leader. But he might be past his prime. Not to mention, the raiders or redskins will break the bank for him.

No thanks. I'll take a younger, cheaper option any day of the week.

Urlacher will retire a Bear, as he should.

T-Reese will dig into the bargain bin again for some "B-" guy....someone good enough to start, but not good enough to be a game-changer.

Giants need to draft someone high at LB, and then let the competitiion sort itself out.

Injuries will once again dictate who plays anyway, so there's not use even speculating who will be player the position next season.

Guest StrahansGap

Giants need to draft someone high at LB, and then let the competitiion sort itself out.

Injuries will once again dictate who plays anyway, so there's not use even speculating who will be player the position next season.

I agree. JoeMorris, I present to you, Mr. Vontaze Burfict:

Guest StrahansGap

LOL, Is that a Unnecessary Roughness and Taunting training film?

Yes!! Precisely why I like him. He looks like a crazy mutherfucker. Reminds me of a young Ray Lewis. This team needs a little attitude.....especially from their linebackers.

Yes!! Precisely why I like him. He looks like a crazy mutherfucker. Reminds me of a young Ray Lewis. This team needs a little attitude.....especially from their linebackers.

Leonard Marshall once said that Taylor and he would routinely get a UR penalty in the first half as a "tone setter"