SportsWrath

2012 WR Talk

Allstarjim

As I've posted already, Mario Manningham is a free agent at season's end. I think it's unlikely the Giants will re-sign him. In fact, I think we can get better on offense if we don't re-sign him. I suspect the Giants will use a draft pick on a receiver to be part of the future of the team, but not an early rounder... think 3rd round or later. Perhaps they hit on a player similar to how the Steelers did with Antonio Brown or the Raiders with Denarious Moore and Jacoby Ford.

But whether they do take a receiver or not, I think it's pretty likely the Giants will look to add a receiver through free agency, not a big contract guy, but someone who can step in and be a player. There are some intriguing names out there. And no, I'm not going to bring up Steve Smith because I think he's a slot guy and Victor Cruz should be that guy going forward for a long time. So I posted this on BBI and I thought it would be good stuff for you guys here... Here are some 2012 WR free agents, some of these guys I think would be awesome to see in blue:

Robert Meachem (NO) - My clear favorite out of the 2012 free agent class. He could emerge as a star in our offense, and New Orleans doesn't have enough balls to go around for him. But the market may be too steep for him.

Brandon Lloyd (STL) - Has he signed an extension with St. Louis? I'm sure he's not going anywhere.

Reggie Wayne (IND) - He'll be 34 next year, but this could be a situation where we get a vet to play on the outside for a cheap contract, and a guy that really knows what he's doing while we wait for a draft pick at WR to come along. I don't think he'll get big money in free agency, and this is very intriguing to me. A guy who I think is a really good fit.

Steve Johnson (BUF) - Unlikely to get the huge deal he probably wants, and Buffalo needs him more than most teams. His Ochocinco-like antics isn't consistent with the "Giant Way", either.

Marques Colston (NO) - Colston or Meachem? Could we just get the one that New Orleans doesn't sign? This is doubtful, if Colston doesn't get big money from the Saints, he'll look for big money elsewhere. He's 28, time to get the big contract.

Dwayne Bowe (KC) - Same boat as Colston, really. He'll be very rich next season.

DeSean Jackson (PHI) - Hmmm. As a Giants fan I have to hate him but if you take away the behavioral stuff he's a perfect fit on a team that needs his speed and return capability in a big way. He could be a value signing for some team because of the year he's had to this point.

Vincent Jackson (SD) - Looking for big money and will probably get it, and doesn't really fit us, I don't think.

Wes Welker (NE) - Does the Patriots let their little big guy get away? I don't think so, but he also doesn't make sense for us.

Other names:

Jerricho Cotchery

Harry Douglass

Eddie Royal (Intriguing)

Jerome Simpson

Pierre Garcon (would be a perfect fit as well)

Braylon Edwards

I honestly dont want to see the Giants use a pick for WR at all in next years draft even if it's a 7th.

I think if anything come the off season it will all depend on who we re-sign and the cap room the Giants have. I believe Mario stays not only is he a solid WR but if Nicks or Cruz get hurt he can step up into those positions. If he is let go then I doubt anyone you mentioned with their team is going to demand a small contract of even leave their team, we may have a chance at the "other name" guys. Cotchery would be decent depth and Eddie Royal would be interesting though I think Royal would be looking for starting time.

I think if anything the free agent WRs the Giants might be considering is to bolster the depth, since I can see guys like Barden, Clayton being gone next year.

Honestly the position I think the Giants need to worry about in free agency is CB, not WR.

i think WR we are pretty stock. i don't see us needing any of those guys you listed. Eli has trust issues and he won't click with a dude until after a season.

Also, we have great need in our defense especially LB. So i would like us to save our cash and spend it on a great LB (who is also a leader).

can't we trade up and get that LB from the fighting irish??? he looks like a beast and not ranked so high as the other dude from AZ.

I think Donta Hightower from Alabama may fall to us. 6-4 260 MLB good all around game and decent speed. He dominated the SEC this year.

WR is pretty much the least of our worries aside from QB... but since this is the topic I say unless we're getting someone significantly better such as one of the guys out of NO, I don't see the point of not resigning Manningham...

Stevie Johnson < Mario Manningham. Actually, they might be on about the same level....if Manningham was on the Bills, they'd put up similar numbers and drop similar amounts of game changing passes.

Stevie Johnson < Mario Manningham. Actually, they might be on about the same level....if Manningham was on the Bills, they'd put up similar numbers and drop similar amounts of game changing passes.

Agree. But Mario gets extra brownie points for not acting like a complete douche. Mario need to show more if he want a big payday. The giants aren't known for making it rain during signing contracts. So. It's up in the air.

See, I think WR is one of those positions that Giants fans overrate our players. Manningham had a good year last year. But he's had a habitual problem with drops. He has some speed, but with his hands, it's a wonder he didn't become a cornerback.

Speaking of CB, we have Prince and Webster under contract for 2012. Also, Witherspoon should be back and is under contract for 2012 for only $565K. I really liked what I saw from him in preseason. Coe is another free agent and probably won't cost a ton to get back. I think the main guy to sign is T2. I'm a little concerned about T2 long-term because this isn't his first knee injury. But he's a talent that you have to try and re-sign. Other than that, I don't see a reason to go heavy into free agency for the position.

Back to WR, I can't believe nobody wants Reggie Wayne. That is a superb talent with ridiculous hands. And he's still good. A guy like Eddie Royal could also be a MAJOR threat in the punt return game, an area where we've really struggled to find someone who could be a factor in that facet of the game, as well as be a presence in the receiving corps, although I think he'd only be a fit as a 4th receiver, more of a slot guy as well, not as a replacement for Manningham.

Out of any of them, the only reason that Robert Meachem isn't a Pro Bowl receiver year in and year out is because Colston got there first and Brees spreads it around. In our offense, Meachem could step in right away and be a monster. Meachem makes $1.2 million this year, slightly less than Manningham. I think Meachem could be had in a 2 year deal for $3 or $4 million per season, and I'd be willing to bet we'd talk about that contract as a bargain. I believe Meachem wants to establish himself in an offense where he can put up numbers and show his true worth, and I think he'd jump at the chance at playing in our offense, where he could line up wide or be in the slot.

I'm sure this is a pipe dream on my part. But I don't get it that some Giants' fans view Manningham as almost a Pro Bowl caliber talent. He's just not. He doesn't make catches in traffic, doesn't have a lot of lateral quickness or power to break a tackle, and even when he's open he drops the ball a ton!

Now despite that Cruz is also overrated by many Giants fans, because he still has far too many drops, I was wrong about him. Cruz is legit, and he's the guy that people thought Mario could be.

More or less, as for WR - I'm fine signing one so long as they're a 3rd WR on the depth chart behind Nicks and Cruz and they are okay with being paid as such. Could that be Wayne? Sure, but at his age, you don't get big money. Perhaps Barden can step into that role finally. Either way, if we were to draft one in the top 5 rounds, I'd be pissed.

LBer and O-Line are much, much higher priorities in my opinion.

Secondary should be fine if they can stay healthy. Resigning T2 is number 1 this offseason. They should do it now.

More or less, as for WR - I'm fine signing one so long as they're a 3rd WR on the depth chart behind Nicks and Cruz and they are okay with being paid as such. Could that be Wayne? Sure, but at his age, you don't get big money. Perhaps Barden can step into that role finally. Either way, if we were to draft one in the top 5 rounds, I'd be pissed.

LBer and O-Line are much, much higher priorities in my opinion.

Secondary should be fine if they can stay healthy. Resigning T2 is number 1 this offseason. They should do it now.

That's why I think he'd be a perfect fit.

But I wouldn't be surprised or upset if they drafted a WR. I think that's a position you can find good value throughout the draft. I think they definitely need to focus on the offense in general. TE, RB, WR, OG, RT, all positions that could be shored up and addressed in the draft. Unless there is a super stud LBer available for us in the first round, I just really hope they go for Offense there, because we need a player that will give the offense that extra lift.

But I wouldn't be surprised or upset if they drafted a WR. I think that's a position you can find good value throughout the draft. I think they definitely need to focus on the offense in general. TE, RB, WR, OG, RT, all positions that could be shored up and addressed in the draft. Unless there is a super stud LBer available for us in the first round, I just really hope they go for Offense there, because we need a player that will give the offense that extra lift.

I dont know the Giants are ranked 7th in scoring, with almost 25 points a game the how much more of a lift does the offense need?

The problem is the Giants need to score those points because the defense (usually) gives them back up. If anything we need to sure up the defensive woes mainly LB.

I think drafting some giant run blocking OL from some deep part of the south named Bubba Smackyamomma to pair along with Snee will actually greatly improve the offense more then a WR or RB would.

I think that a quality RT could be found in the 2nd. Generally just the LTs go in the first.

I like Diehl/Petrus/Snee/Boothe at G.

I like Boothe/Baas at C.

I am not sold on Beatty, but many like him. McKenzie's best days are behind him, but is serviceable (at best). I'm thinking that OT is a need, if for no other reason, than to get a stud in the house to groom for depth purposes.

I really think our top 3 should be OT, RB, LB - though not necessarily in that order.

Follow that up with CB, S, QB, KR - though not necessarily in that order.

See, I think WR is one of those positions that Giants fans overrate our players. Manningham had a good year last year. But he's had a habitual problem with drops. He has some speed, but with his hands, it's a wonder he didn't become a cornerback.

Speaking of CB, we have Prince and Webster under contract for 2012. Also, Witherspoon should be back and is under contract for 2012 for only $565K. I really liked what I saw from him in preseason. Coe is another free agent and probably won't cost a ton to get back. I think the main guy to sign is T2. I'm a little concerned about T2 long-term because this isn't his first knee injury. But he's a talent that you have to try and re-sign. Other than that, I don't see a reason to go heavy into free agency for the position.

Back to WR, I can't believe nobody wants Reggie Wayne. That is a superb talent with ridiculous hands. And he's still good. A guy like Eddie Royal could also be a MAJOR threat in the punt return game, an area where we've really struggled to find someone who could be a factor in that facet of the game, as well as be a presence in the receiving corps, although I think he'd only be a fit as a 4th receiver, more of a slot guy as well, not as a replacement for Manningham.

Out of any of them, the only reason that Robert Meachem isn't a Pro Bowl receiver year in and year out is because Colston got there first and Brees spreads it around. In our offense, Meachem could step in right away and be a monster. Meachem makes $1.2 million this year, slightly less than Manningham. I think Meachem could be had in a 2 year deal for $3 or $4 million per season, and I'd be willing to bet we'd talk about that contract as a bargain. I believe Meachem wants to establish himself in an offense where he can put up numbers and show his true worth, and I think he'd jump at the chance at playing in our offense, where he could line up wide or be in the slot.

I'm sure this is a pipe dream on my part. But I don't get it that some Giants' fans view Manningham as almost a Pro Bowl caliber talent. He's just not. He doesn't make catches in traffic, doesn't have a lot of lateral quickness or power to break a tackle, and even when he's open he drops the ball a ton!

Now despite that Cruz is also overrated by many Giants fans, because he still has far too many drops, I was wrong about him. Cruz is legit, and he's the guy that people thought Mario could be.

I don't think Reggie Wayne has near the same success without Peyton Manning imo.

And I don't think you need to have pro bowl talent to be a good wide receiver, I think Manningham has done fine, but I do see him leaving and to be honest he could end up a 1 or 2 receiver elsewhere. There are a lot of teams out there very thin at wide reciever.

I haven't followed Meachem this year, but in the past he's been exactly what Mario has been... a one-trick pony that's great on a fly route or a post but won't give you much else. He's probably going to demand much more than Manningham so we might as well keep the guy we've got for a better price (unless Meachem has stepped up his game this past year or so and now does crossing patterns, out routes, etc).

All of that being said, I think WR is the least of our worries outside of QB. Eli can make anybody look good... have a gander at guys like Ballard and Cruz.

I dont know the Giants are ranked 7th in scoring, with almost 25 points a game the how much more of a lift does the offense need?

The problem is the Giants need to score those points because the defense (usually) gives them back up. If anything we need to sure up the defensive woes mainly LB.

I think drafting some giant run blocking OL from some deep part of the south named Bubba Smackyamomma to pair along with Snee will actually greatly improve the offense more then a WR or RB would.

You always have to try to get better, BiC. You look at the nice stats and that's all well and good, but you know very well this offense is far from being a well-oiled machine and has quite a few areas it could get better.

The defense just needs a linebacker, and re-sign Goff. But the players we have on the D-line, both active now and those expected to return from injury next year, sets up that side of the ball very well for 2012.

2012 Defensive Breakdown:

DE: Tuck, JPP, Tollefson (re-sign), Osi???

DT: Linval, Canty, Marvin Austin, Rocky Bernard?, Jimmy Kennedy?

LB: Boley, Goff (re-sign), Kiwi, 1st round pick PLEASE?, Blackburn and the rookies?

CB: Webster, T2 (re-sign), Prince Amukamara, Witherspoon, Coe?, Bruce Johnson?

S: Rolle, Phillips, Sash

As you can see, the expected starters are all in place except for Goff and T2, who need to be re-signed. Other than that, the defensive side of the ball just needs to be rounded out for depth, and then they need a DC that knows what he's doing!

But you look on the other side, plenty of room for improvement. We need a rook RB we can develop to take over for Bradshaw, we need an improvement at TE (look at Gronkowski in NE, my gawd would I go nuts for a guy like that in Giants blue), a replacement for Manningham, perhaps a RT early in the draft, maybe an OG in the middle rounds as well. I actually think the only question on the O-line is RT with McKenzie likely moving on. I think Petrus, Baas, Snee, and Boothe is just fine, and maybe add a guy for depth somewhere, but we have our starters there in house and a very good backup in Boothe, or starter maybe at LG (him or Petrus).

I don't think Reggie Wayne has near the same success without Peyton Manning imo.

And I don't think you need to have pro bowl talent to be a good wide receiver, I think Manningham has done fine, but I do see him leaving and to be honest he could end up a 1 or 2 receiver elsewhere. There are a lot of teams out there very thin at wide reciever.

Wow, Booh, I'm shocked that anyone would have that opinion of Wayne, especially with what he's done this year. He has 750 yards receiving with Curtis Painter as his QB most of the year, and Dan Orlovsky recently. For years everyone thought Wayne benefitted from Harrison, then Harrison left and Wayne STILL tore it up.

I don't think Manningham would be the #1 receiver on the Redskins, who probably have the worst starting receivers in the league.

can't we trade up and get that LB from the fighting irish??? he looks like a beast and not ranked so high as the other dude from AZ.

Manti Te'o...he is staying in school, I posted a video a awhile back about him being the guy I wanted. Hightower is a 3-4 guy only, and doesn't have any coverage ability and no speed and no range. Burflict from AZ St is a headcase and I think he fits better in a 3-4 as well. I see him getting a year long suspension in the NFL with the new rules. Kuechly from BC, we have no shot at at, but he would be great.