SportsWrath

Leadership

ksm7

the dog wonders which player it will come from...if any.

listening to tuck on the fan tuesday was akin to listening to a 7 year old tell his guidance counselor that the family had to put his dog down the night before...so the defensive captain might be out as far as leadership goes right now...

perhaps the elite offensive captain/QB will play a couple of extra, well thought out practical jokes in the locker room this week, as is his reported leadership style, but the dog's not so sure that will get the job done....

maybe jacobs will do what he has done his entire career...shoot off at the mouth, tip toe his way to 1.5 yard per carry average, eventually get a huge hole to run through, run extremely hard with just a 190 pound d-back in front of him and run him over...then get up and jump around like a wild animal that was just tazed when the team is still down by two scores...of course, that saw limited success last week...

maybe rolle will tell us all one more time that "at the end of the day," they prepare well and play hard and they will get it right...that's been a few weeks though....

so the dog wonders, if they are going to pull off the upset this week (and get this, the dog doesn't think that is impossible), it is going to take someone to step up in a leadership role...the dog isn't sure they have anyone on the roster to do this, but you never know...

Tuck leads by example, and is plainly uncomfortable asserting his will on the team when he can't back it up by play on the field. This season reminds me of the season he was injured by Flozell's cheap shot. Once again, I wish he were either healthy or on the sidelines.

If there is a void in leadership, I would point to all the injuries, and frankly, lack of attention to draft priorities.

Posters on this board have lamented the lack of an impact linebacker, the need to restock the offensive line, concerns at DT, and a weak kicking game for quite some time. And this season, our first 2 draft picks have been a total of 2 games between them this season. Our 3rd pick was frankly a big mistake by Reese - it was a wasted pick.....that was were, at the very latest, another linebacker or OL should have been tagged.

We waited until the mid/late rounds to address linebacker, when most people here identified it as perhaps the #1 need on the team.

Unfortunately, injuries at the LB position, plus a lack of draft emphasis, plus some poor drafting (Sintim, Wilkerson) have combined to pretty much screw the defense.

To answer your question, I think a guy like Kiwi should be the one to assert himself.....he is one of the few guys on the team that a) is healthy, b) is producing, c) is a long time vet and d) doesn't sound like a complete a-hole when he talks.

On offense, I think Eli is fine. He and Cruz are leading by example. Nobody on the offensive line or RB position should be near a microphone, but rather, should be staring into a mirror right now.

On offense, I think Eli is fine. He and Cruz are leading by example. Nobody on the offensive line or RB position should be near a microphone, but rather, should be staring into a mirror right now.

For a young emerging player, Cruz showed a great deal of maturity last Monday. Choosing not to celebrate after his scores because he realized the teams situation.

Sure it would seem obvious but you probably get that level of maturity out of 1 in 5 wr's in the league right now.

Tuck leads by example, and is plainly uncomfortable asserting his will on the team when he can't back it up by play on the field. This season reminds me of the season he was injured by Flozell's cheap shot. Once again, I wish he were either healthy or on the sidelines.

If there is a void in leadership, I would point to all the injuries, and frankly, lack of attention to draft priorities.

Posters on this board have lamented the lack of an impact linebacker, the need to restock the offensive line, concerns at DT, and a weak kicking game for quite some time. And this season, our first 2 draft picks have been a total of 2 games between them this season. Our 3rd pick was frankly a big mistake by Reese - it was a wasted pick.....that was were, at the very latest, another linebacker or OL should have been tagged.

We waited until the mid/late rounds to address linebacker, when most people here identified it as perhaps the #1 need on the team.

Unfortunately, injuries at the LB position, plus a lack of draft emphasis, plus some poor drafting (Sintim, Wilkerson) have combined to pretty much screw the defense.

To answer your question, I think a guy like Kiwi should be the one to assert himself.....he is one of the few guys on the team that a) is healthy, b) is producing, c) is a long time vet and d) doesn't sound like a complete a-hole when he talks.

I think it goes beyond "by example" at this point Joe....there needs to be a red ass...and it needs to be #10....I saw a little of it after the 3rd dropped pass in a row on that screen when Eli got creamed...he was pissed......he seriously needs to get in someone's face...or throw some shit on the sidelines one of these days....or to Tom C. and yell and get somebody who fucks up sat for a series.

Only "Great" QB's I can recall who could pull of the "Joe Cool" leadership angle were Montana....and Staubach....pretty much all the great ones from the past....and now (Brady, P. Manning, Rogers, and Brees)....got a little asshole in them.

A good time for Eli to show up would have been after Jacobs went mental after want was truly a meaningless score on N.O.....he should have nutted up and got right in his face.

I don't think he has that in him...and I think that is a big problem.

C. Wagon.

I think it goes beyond "by example" at this point Joe....there needs to be a red ass...and it needs to be #10....I saw a little of it after the 3rd dropped pass in a row on that screen when Eli got creamed...he was pissed......he seriously needs to get in someone's face...or throw some shit on the sidelines one of these days....or to Tom C. and yell and get somebody who fucks up sat for a series.

Only "Great" QB's I can recall who could pull of the "Joe Cool" leadership angle were Montana....and Staubach....pretty much all the great ones from the past....and now (Brady, P. Manning, Rogers, and Brees)....got a little asshole in them.

A good time for Eli to show up would have been after Jacobs went mental after want was truly a meaningless score on N.O.....he should have nutted up and got right in his face.

I don't think he has that in him...and I think that is a big problem.

C. Wagon.

the dog just doesn't think it is in his nature, and having him be something he is not comes off wrong (it was around this time last year when fighting for their playoff lives that he stepped out of character and opened his mouth to give a rousing and motivating locker room speech prior to the packers game, where he then responded by throwing 4 picks and the team responded by losing big).

the jacobs issue is the pinnacle of the leadership debate. for all his negative talk, did anyone on the team grab him and tell him to shut his mouth when they were winning? if so, clearly it wasn't respected, b/c still hasn't stopped.

someone has to step in and try and pull some deeply hidden pride from this team. if it is kiwi as joe suggests, then so be it. the options seem limited. and the dog agrees with you, that at some point, it has to move beyond leading by example. the dog actually likes tuck as a player, but listening to him the other night, the spark is gone. injured or not, he can't lose sight of his second role beyond d-lineman, and that is captain...

Jacobs is gone at the end of the season. Tuck is a great football player but not a leader. Not sure where this "leader" is going to come from. Boley was considered the leader by the defensive players

“It’s actually kind of funny,” Tuck said. “We were talking about who on this defense would it hurt to lose, and unanimously we talked about Boley.”

My link

The quote is out of context he said hurt he most during the interview. It was during a post game interview.

I've been saying it for a while...when is enough, enough? You have guys underperforming and straight up playing terrible on the offensive line, defensive line, linebackers, and secondary. I don't care about how bad the players behind them are perceived to be, nothing can be worse than the effort that's been on the field the last few weeks.

I've been saying it for a while...when is enough, enough? You have guys underperforming and straight up playing terrible on the offensive line, defensive line, linebackers, and secondary. I don't care about how bad the players behind them are perceived to be, nothing can be worse than the effort that's been on the field the last few weeks.

I dont know Storm, how about 9/11 that was pretty worse.

You terrorist.

Like has been said, I think they miss Boley on D. Phillips and Rolle are too far away from the los, to call plays and get everyone set. Grant has been the guy, but he is ungodly awful. Tuck is just not a rah rah type of guy, I think that's what we are expecting of him, it's not gonna happen. He is not gonna Strahanesque, Strahan would go out and tell Osi, "your better then me" Get Osi and the team going. We had Pierce, who was a great signal caller.

Agreed. Definitely need a linebacker to step up with Boley hurting.

Like has been said, I think they miss Boley on D. Phillips and Rolle are too far away from the los, to call plays and get everyone set. Grant has been the guy, but he is ungodly awful. Tuck is just not a rah rah type of guy, I think that's what we are expecting of him, it's not gonna happen. He is not gonna Strahanesque, Strahan would go out and tell Osi, "your better then me" Get Osi and the team going. We had Pierce, who was a great signal caller.

This team may very well need more leadership but no amount of it is going to help the lack of execution and general incompetence that we have seen the last two weeks. It's going to be a tough road to the playoffs at this point but I just want to see some pride and intensity win or lose. Regardless, if they fall short again we will see some changes at the top and probably in personnel.

Antrel Rolle is a leader

Leader of the guys best at talking the big talk to the media. :rolleyes:

Maybe leader of players who think they'd make a good GM some day. :rolleyes:

Leader of the assclowns, maybe. :rolleyes:

i'd pass around a bottle of midol if i were you cats. one month you're destined for greatness, the next you're looking like you were pretenders all along.

same in the preseason. SUPERBOWL.....aiiiii 7-9......yay oh SUPERBOWL AGAIN!..... and so on

flippity floppity while interestingly enough, it's playing out like most (experts) thought it would. giants 5-3 or 6-2 before a big crash and burn in the real meat of their schedule.

btw i heard a nasty rumor that the giants great defense of so many first round picks is ranked 27th in scoring defense???? what?????

and all you cats giggled at me when i said rob ryan would change the Cowboys D for the better. :)

i'd pass around a bottle of midol if i were you cats. one month you're destined for greatness, the next you're looking like you were pretenders all along.

same in the preseason. SUPERBOWL.....aiiiii 7-9......yay oh SUPERBOWL AGAIN!..... and so on

flippity floppity while interestingly enough, it's playing out like most (experts) thought it would. giants 5-3 or 6-2 before a big crash and burn in the real meat of their schedule.

btw i heard a nasty rumor that the giants great defense of so many first round picks is ranked 27th in scoring defense???? what?????

and all you cats giggled at me when i said rob ryan would change the Cowboys D for the better. :)

Wow all the Cowboys fans come out when we've dropped a few and they've won a few. Good job for those Coybois eke-ing out those wins against the Redskins and Dolphins. Performances like those won't be good enough in the coming weeks though. Are you guys going to disappear when the lowly Cardinals beat you this Sunday? If not then, I know it will be crickets the following week when reality smacks you in the ass against the Giants.

It never gets old, you guys coming out of the woodwork when it looks safe. Except, there's that little nagging thing about your quarterback... who will never, ever get the Cowboys to a Super Bowl much less win one. It's just not going to happen. Good luck drafting a new QB, I recommend sooner rather than later, because Romo is still the same Romo... he's going to shit the bed when it matters most, take it to the bank.

Wow all the Cowboys fans come out when we've dropped a few and they've won a few. Good job for those Coybois eke-ing out those wins against the Redskins and Dolphins. Performances like those won't be good enough in the coming weeks though. Are you guys going to disappear when the lowly Cardinals beat you this Sunday? If not then, I know it will be crickets the following week when reality smacks you in the ass against the Giants.

It never gets old, you guys coming out of the woodwork when it looks safe. Except, there's that little nagging thing about your quarterback... who will never, ever get the Cowboys to a Super Bowl much less win one. It's just not going to happen. Good luck drafting a new QB, I recommend sooner rather than later, because Romo is still the same Romo... he's going to shit the bed when it matters most, take it to the bank.

the dog believes this to be true...on that note, the dog wonders how the giants have done against the redskins and dolphins this year? can't recall those games...

Nah more like because he's one of the only guys on D that fires up the guys and never backs down from an opponent.

LMAO, ya, they haven't been backing down from dem Seahawks or dem Redskins....they looked real heartened and....led....against the Saints, too. :rolleyes:

I think that's fair Storm. You have to perform to be a leader. Tuck is hurt it's a lost year for him. None of the other guys on defense with maybe the exception of Rolle really put their voice out there and have a rally the troops mentality. It isn't important right now though. Perhaps next year the team addresses it and brings in some new faces. If the guys on this team can't see for themselves that they aren't bringing the heart and intensity necessary to win games, no amount of "leadership" is going to.