SportsWrath

Does it really matter??

Guest StrahansGap

Storm, the number 1 reason they lost this game is because they couldn't pressure Brees. The number 1 reason they lost against the Eagles is because they couldn't pressure Young. Ditto for the Redskins game, and it was also a big factor in the Seahawks game.

When you can't get pressure with 4, why in the hell would you only rush 3 on 3rd and 10? Regardless, for you to smugly say that because they blitzed ineffectively in this game versus Drew Brees and the Saints, and to imply that it has any fucking relevance to the Eagles' game and Vince fucking Young... that's just unbelievable to put it kindly. In the Eagles game, the blitzes worked a vast majority of the time. I already proved it. The zone did not work a vast majority of the time. That case is closed.

If you would like me to criticize Fewell for this game... I may, but I have to watch it again first. My initial reaction is that the matchup problems the Saints present, coupled with a truly great QB, especially at home, it was a situation where no matter what play calls Fewell made, the Saints were going to put up points. Still, 49 points is a bit much.

Read the other thread bro, I'm tired of chasing you around. Also, I nowhere implied it had anything to do with the Eagles game only so far as that we suck at pressuring the QB. If you all want to live in the past, that's fine, but for me, this team, other than JPP CANT RUSH THE PASSER no matter how many god damn players you throw at them. And it was proven tonight because they blitzed far more against the Saints than they did against the Eagles. Hell, they blitzed on 3rd and short and gave up a 30 yard pass play. They blitzed on 3rd down and gave up a big play over the middle to, I believe it was Henderson, the specific one I'm thinking of....but it might have been Colston.

Steve Young and Trent Dilfer know much more about football than you or even I do. Sorry bro, but the fact is, the Giants defense just doesn't have the athletes that you think it does. Especially when you see guys blitzing and getting straight up stuffed ALL GAME LONG.

Storm, I'm not the one who brought it up in this thread, you were.

Also, once again, the Eagles' game has no relevance whatsoever to this game. I'm not even arguing with you about this game. But you thinking that this game somehow validates your already disproven theory that abondoning an effective blitz in THAT game was somehow a good idea is fucking stupid. I'll say it one more time... this game doesn't have any relevance to the Eagles game.

Wasn't your theory that as a team defensive scheme, we don't blitz enough and that we don't blitz, specifically on 3rd down and medium to long? I'm just saying, we did a lot of that today and gave up a lot of big 3rd down conversions on blitzes....like, really big gains.

And didn't you say that we needed to be pressuring Brees, like, a lot, in order to be successful? And ifwe couldn't, throughout the course of the game, get pressure with our front four, we should send more guys (which we did)? I'm sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding here.

Speed kills us- it always has. We beat New England bc they have slow receivers.

We stayed with SF bc they're pretty slow too.

We can't play speed.

Agreed. The quick releases to get the ball in receivers hands and let them make plays does us in. I have no idea how we contained Wes Welker, however. It's like we wanted to beat the Patriots....

Well I do believe that pressuring any and every QB is the most important thing to good defense after stopping the run.

We did not do that well in this game. But my critique of Fewell was for the Philly game plan, so I think you are misunderstanding. I do think that if you don't get pressure with 4, you have to try 5, though.

I won't go any further than that until I do the re-watch. I am aware that Brees beat the blitz on several occasions. That's why he's one of the best in the NFL, as in, not Vince Young. Brees also beat the zone, which is expected because our linebackers play the zone much worse than they do anything else. I guess that's what I can't understand with you. You say we shouldn't blitz because the linebackers aren't good at it, but they REALLY suck in coverage so to me, at least blitzing is a play of aggression and gives you a chance. But I'm not disputing that nothing worked against Brees and that this defense is not talented enough to hold up against a QB of that caliber.

Well I do believe that pressuring any and every QB is the most important thing to good defense after stopping the run.

We did not do that well in this game. But my critique of Fewell was for the Philly game plan, so I think you are misunderstanding. I do think that if you don't get pressure with 4, you have to try 5, though.

I won't go any further than that until I do the re-watch. I am aware that Brees beat the blitz on several occasions. That's why he's one of the best in the NFL, as in, not Vince Young. Brees also beat the zone, which is expected because our linebackers play the zone much worse than they do anything else. I guess that's what I can't understand with you. You say we shouldn't blitz because the linebackers aren't good at it, but they REALLY suck in coverage so to me, at least blitzing is a play of aggression and gives you a chance. But I'm not disputing that nothing worked against Brees and that this defense is not talented enough to hold up against a QB of that caliber.

Alright, we're in agreement finally, our linebackers suck at every aspect of football, lol.

Well, actually, Herzlich isn't bad against the run and Kiwanuka can rush the passer....we have like a full linebacker if you combine those two.....Boley is definitely our best overall linebacker, it's a big loss that he is out.

Alright, we're in agreement finally, our linebackers suck at every aspect of football, lol.

Well, actually, Herzlich isn't bad against the run and Kiwanuka can rush the passer....we have like a full linebacker if you combine those two.....Boley is definitely our best overall linebacker, it's a big loss that he is out.

Hey Kiwi has been phenomenal this year against the run. Just saying. We can't be in agreement with everything, there's got to be something that you and I can argue about, :smartass: . But hey, I got to call it a night. Have a good one, Storm.

Hey Kiwi has been phenomenal this year against the run. Just saying. We can't be in agreement with everything, there's got to be something that you and I can argue about, :smartass: . But hey, I got to call it a night. Have a good one, Storm.

You too, dude. At this point, I don't even care whether we win or lose, I just want to see the fire the team had early in the season that is gone in every single one of them except Manning, JPP, and maybe Cruz...but I do think big changes are coming our way. I don't necessarily agree that -if we miss the playoffs- Coughlin needs to go. But you also really can't get rid of his OC and DC and keep the HC himself, either....so I dunno what's gonna happen but I can't see Gilbride or Fewell as Coordinators of this team next year....I mean, like I said, I'm no Fewell fan, but I also don't think he is completely responsible for this dramatic melt down.....

More than anything else Coughlin is a consensus type leader. This type of leader is very loyal to his subordinates even when they fuck up....probably more so. But I definitely think the OC and DC need to go. Especially Gilbride as his offense is non-innovative and ossified. Fewell is working more with the limitations of his LB's....the Giants have been trying to cover up the deficiencies of our LB's since the Super Bowl. It exposes the secondary as they have to do too much and it makes it critical that the linemen always keep the play in front of them most of the time.... a sheer impossibility. We definitely have to draft for need as to LB's next year. I know our one high pick there has not panned out. WTF is his name again?