SportsWrath

NY-SF Game Review

Allstarjim

Because, BB01, QB rating doesn't take into account throwing a game-ending INT to lose the game. Romo is the perfect stat guy. He piles up phenomenal numbers against bad defenses, like he did against the Bills last Sunday, stats are real sexy looking, and then when you really need him, he has a game like he did against the Eagles 18-35, 203 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. That rating takes in all the stats but ignores the fact that he crumbles under pressure.

I'll take Eli who rises up in the 4th Quarter over a guy that throws for a lot of yards and then makes the big mistake to lose you the game.

but then can't the same be said about eli? the dog will use the philly game as the microcosm of this:

eli's final numbers in a 29-14 win: 16-23-254-4-0...credit for a fourth quarter comeback. in reality, two of the TD passes were as follows: an 8 yard hitch to victor cruz who avoided horrific examples of tackling to run 74 yards for a score, and a 40 yard pass to jacobs who was running without an eagle within 20 yards of him on a blown coverage (exemplified by the point that later in the game, the gianmts tried a variation of the same play that sent the FB out on the pattern and eli forced it to a well covered receiver that broke the pass up). the two final scores came on 50 yard drives with 10 minutes to go in the game, and one of the TD passes was cruz outmuscling two eagles for the ball. to his credit, he threw no picks, but if you want to break down QB play in a game where the stats tell one thing, and the actual game play may say something different, this is the case as well...

Sure Eli is good.. he's not perfect.. I feel you seem to set the bar much higher for Eli than other QBs. So far this season and with the exception of Rodgers, Eli has been up there with Brady and Romo.. and Brees. We were one Gibride brain fart away from Winning this game... I will concede Eli's 2nd INT hurt us.

nas, eli and the giants organization set the bar high for him right from the get go, and the dog will hold him to that at every turn. when you play the game you did on draft day, and refuse to play for an organization and demand a trade, you are putting a higher value on yourself, a player that never won anything of significance in college mind you, and who had yet to take an NFL snap, above a team. then when a team trades what the giants did for him (and you can easily argue both sides of the coin for that trade), then the expectation is that much higher. you do not use essentially two first round picks and multiple other picks for one player, and expect that player to be just solid. the bar is high, and made higher when he was given a contract making him the highest paid player when others were clearly better. the dog doesn't fault him for getting it, but the expectations are what they are. that is why the dog thinks so many fans want to elevate him to an elite status when he hasn't earned that to date for his career.

the dog viewed elway with the same level of expectations for his draft day move...ricky williams....herschal walker....etc....if you give up what was for him, you better have higher expectations than you do for others in that position. and if after 7 plus years in the league there is still questions about his inconsistent decision making, turnovers, leadership...etc...that tells you something.

I think the secondary is pretty special. Webster is one of the best CBs in the league, I really don't care what other team's fans say. Ross is not bad, himself.

Agree with you about Webster. He's probably my favorite Giant because quite frankly I didn't think he could play and he shut me the hell up for good with his playoff performance during the Super Bowl run.

'

I can sum it up in 2 sentences:

1) Eli is not elite and made errors and displayed poor judgment at critical junctures.

2) The Giants defense is overrated. :o

Interestingly, I can sum up Giants/Eagles in 2 sentences -- by simply relying on my summary of Giants/49ers.

What say you BigBlue? Do we have a pattern forming here? :o

Interestingly, I can sum up Giants/Eagles in 2 sentences -- by simply relying on my summary of Giants/49ers.

What say you BigBlue? Do we have a pattern forming here? :o

That loss wasn't on Eli. Eli got no help from his line OR his receivers. The second statement is a fair statement, unless you rate the Giants defense highly without Michael Boley and with Perry Fewell coordinating the defense. I don't. The defense has POTENTIAL to be great... Great players on that defense, but the coordinator plays to their weaknesses, instead of their strengths.

That loss wasn't on Eli. Eli got no help from his line OR his receivers. The second statement is a fair statement, unless you rate the Giants defense highly without Michael Boley and with Perry Fewell coordinating the defense. I don't. The defense has POTENTIAL to be great... Great players on that defense, but the coordinator plays to their weaknesses, instead of their strengths.

see, the dog doesn't full understand this either. isn't the strength of the defense that vaunted d-line that is the best in football? and the knock is that fewell sits back too often in zone without blitzing? if you have access to the greatest front line in the history of modern football, it is possible you may be less apt to blitz as often, relying on the stud "dancing elephants" as jack so eloquently puts it to bring the pressure, so that you can force QBs to throw into more coverage...

the coaching staffs here get a lot of heat. some could be justified, but some could be due to their efforts to cover up weaknesses. going back to the super bowl run, again, romo, favre and brady all stated how they had receivers running free, but the front pressure didn't allow them to get the ball to open players. not sure if the same would be true with this team...only the coaches know this. but if it were so easy, the dog wonders, wouldn't they be doing it? why would a coach sit there and say, well, blitzing is the guarentee way to win, but let's not do it...there is a reason coaches at the NFL level do the things they do, and the rest of us critique things from the couch...

see, the dog doesn't full understand this either. isn't the strength of the defense that vaunted d-line that is the best in football? and the knock is that fewell sits back too often in zone without blitzing? if you have access to the greatest front line in the history of modern football, it is possible you may be less apt to blitz as often, relying on the stud "dancing elephants" as jack so eloquently puts it to bring the pressure, so that you can force QBs to throw into more coverage...

the coaching staffs here get a lot of heat. some could be justified, but some could be due to their efforts to cover up weaknesses. going back to the super bowl run, again, romo, favre and brady all stated how they had receivers running free, but the front pressure didn't allow them to get the ball to open players. not sure if the same would be true with this team...only the coaches know this. but if it were so easy, the dog wonders, wouldn't they be doing it? why would a coach sit there and say, well, blitzing is the guarentee way to win, but let's not do it...there is a reason coaches at the NFL level do the things they do, and the rest of us critique things from the couch...

Your point would be valid if they were rushing 4 not 3, AND, when they rushed, they generated pressure, when they haven't. Peters man-handled Osi last night, JPP got doubled most of the night, and Tuck is not the same player as last year. Tuck's effectiveness is being limited by some injuries, he's said so. At the same time, you have Chris Canty on the bench ROUTINELY in passing situations, even though he's an outstanding interior pass rusher. If you just allow the opponent to double your best pass rushers, while keeping your best DT on the bench, then yes, you are playing to the defenses weakness, which is the linebackers, particularly in coverage. You throw those linebackers at the QB, you get your premier pass rushers singled up, and you are either going to have a free man at the QB or, at minimum, you are allowing a guy like JPP to not have to beat two players to get to the QB. That is what I mean by playing to their strengths, not weaknesses. I don't expect you will get it, though.