SportsWrath

NY-SF Game Review

Allstarjim

Some things I noticed rewatching...

Everytime I see JPP play, I see something that makes me go, wow. JPP is as good if not a better run defender than even Justin Tuck right now. He did have opportunities to get sacks and missed.

A lot of conversation about the inside hand off to Ware on 3rd and 2 at the end of the game. But how about the first possession? This is stuff that the coaches need to clean up. Know your enemy. On a drive where Eli was 6-6 passing that took the Giants to a 1st and 10 on the 49er 13 yard line, Gilbride elected to go with 2 straight runs there.

Jacobs previous runs on that drive were for 2, 2, and 6. I'm pretty sure against a team led by Alex Smith that is run-oriented you want to get off to a fast start and have them play from behind. So you're playing a team that is the #1 defensive team in the redzone in the NFL. You're playing a team that is #1 against the run, and hasn't allowed a TD against the run all season long. They have allowed the fewest number of 10+ yards run in the NFL. What is the goal there? Why run it there? To bunch that defense up even more against your offense near the goal line? Is there an expectation that Brandon Jacobs is going to shimmy shake Patrick Willis out of his jock and get a 13 yard TD run? That seems like the time to take your shot on 1st down especially... and when your QB is red hot.

What ended up happening is we got to 3rd and 6 and the 49ers play pass all the way, dropping linebackers back to the 1st down line and defensive backs taking away a pass into the endzone. Eli completes a short pass over the middle, 4th and 2, and we got a FG... which, going by the play calling there, is exactly what it looked like Gilbride was playing for.

On defense, the Giants again not blitzing Alex Smith in critical 3rd and long plays. One play I keep seeing is the Quarters defense... the Giants rushing only 3 with 8 guys in pass coverage. This occurred on the 49ers 2nd possession. 49ers have a 3rd and 21 at their own 49 yard line, after a brilliant stop by Kiwanuka on Gore for a loss of 4 on 2nd down. The Giants elect to go Quarters defense, rushing only 3. Alex Smith stands tall in the pocket with plenty of time, finds Braylon Edwards for a 17 yard gain, and it is just enough inside Akers range for him to connect on a 52 yard FG. The strength of the defense is the pass rush, and Fewell takes that away, gives up yards which translated into points. At least give me 4 rushers. That extra guy running around in the secondary can't cover all the zones, and you give any NFL QB enough time, he's going to find someone. It's a lack of aggressiveness that bothers me about Fewell. Three points doesn't seem like a lot at the time, but this is followed up by the onsides kick and the Giants barely see the ball again in the entire first half (more on that in a minute).

After the onsides kick, the Giants defense does a pretty good job, highlighted by a very athletic sack of Alex Smith by Linval Joseph, where he does a spin move on Right Guard Adam Snyder that Troy Aikman described as a "Dwight Freeney move". This knocks the 49ers back to their own 33. The following 3rd and 17 play, the Giants this time rush 4, but lose outside contain and Smith scrambles for 12 yards and makes the FG a chip shot for Akers.

We finally get the ball back but it's very brief. On first down, Eli throws a gorgeous ball to a wide open Victor Cruz down field, and it hits Cruz in the hands and he drops it. Just a befuddling drop. The next play, Cruz seems to run the exact same route and this time Carlos Rogers runs the route with him and is right there for the INT. A bad decision by Eli.

By the time the Giants get the ball back, there's no time to do anything with it, and the Giants head to the locker room down 6-9, and missing one key linebacker for the rest of the game, Michael Boley... a terrible development that has consequences in the 2nd half.

Coming out of the locker room, the 49ers start at their own 20 and the loss of Boley is felt immediately, IMO. The 49ers drove 69 yards on 10 plays, including 21 rushes on 3 carries and 2 first downs by Kendall Hunter and Anthony Dixon, and 33 yards on 2 catches by TE Delaney Walker. On Walker's second reception of the drive, he stiff arms Kiwanuka and picks up an extra fourteen or fifteen yards on what would have been just a 5 yard gain had Kiwanuka been able to make the play. The drive stalls when Smith decides to challenge Webster 3 straight times from the 10 yard line, and 3 straight times comes up empty on passes to Crabtree, and the 49ers again get 3 points.

Giants get the ball back and go three and out. On first down, Eli throws a deep ball to Cruz who is tightly double covered. Between this pass and the attempt to Cruz where Rogers got the pick, I think Eli at times is trying to force it Cruz. After a 6 yard run by Jacobs, the 49ers bring a 6 man blitz. Eli can't get off his first read before he is sacked by Patrick Willis (are you reading this Fewell?).

Well, maybe he was paying attention because finally, Fewell brings the heat on 3rd and 7 on the third play from scrimmage after the punt. Smith is hit as he throws and the ball floats through the air and I'm looking for a Giants defender to call a fair catch, the ball was in the air so long. But alas, the ball falls harmlessly to the ground, a bit of an opportunity missed there, but a good defensive stand right there, nonetheless. Osi got the hit on Smith, off a nice bull rush on Joe Staley.

We started this possession on our own 16, and I really felt we were losing the field position battle all game, a key factor in a game where the 49ers got short fields and 4 field goals by Akers. Special Teams penalties by goat Derrick Martin were of no help, of course.

After two uninspiring runs by Jacobs, Manning hits Cruz on a wheel route down the left sideline on 3rd and 7 for a 36 yard completion. Beautiful throw by Eli there, and Cruz really burned Carlos Rogers off the line of scrimmage on the play. Eli really got his groove going this drive. Jacobs finally got lose for a 15 yard scamper a couple plays later, and Pascoe made a catch and run where he dished out some punishment to Carlos Rogers that pumped up the Giants, as well as me sitting on my couch. A couple of plays later, Manning throws the corner fade to Manningham that is an absolute beauty. The amazing thing about it is that the 49er defense was set up to defend it well, with the corner giving a large cushion to Mannigham. Mario just eliminated the cushion quickly, sprinted for the back of the endzone, and made the over the shoulder catch, Giants up 13-12.

After another good defensive stand that included a nice play by Antrel Rolle (who doesn't get enough credit for his play from Giants' fans) tipping a ball at the line of scrimmage intended for Walker, the 49ers punt and flip field position on the Giants. Martin had one of his penalties here, and it backed the Giants up to their own 15.

On first down, Cruz drops another but it was thrown a little behind him and Eli hung Victor out to dry there. Ballard was in less traffic in front of Cruz and I thought Eli should've thrown to big Jake. Fast forward to 3rd and 4, Eli is flushed out of the pocket and misses badly on a wide open throw to Hakeem Nicks on the run. Huge missed opportunity there, leads to a punt, and things quickly take a turn for the worse.

It started with the shank by Weatherford, setting the 49ers up at the 50. A couple of plays later, the infamous shift... where the 49ers LT also false started, NOT seen by the officials. Following a couple of good runs by Dixon and Hunter, Smith finds Vernon Davis on the crossing pattern with big run after the catch, where Greg Jones blows coverage and the 49ers go for and get the 2 point conversion to boot.

Then came ANOTHER special teams gaffe when Da'Rel Scott catches the ball near the back of the endzone, elects to bring it out, and can't get passed the 10. Can we get Devin Thomas back, now?

Second play from scrimmage, another poor throw and decision by Eli leads to the 2nd 49er interception. Mario Manningham broke off the route. I've read some criticism of Manningham on the play, but Rogers had perfect underneath coverage on Manningham. That ball is probably intercepted regardless. Manningham sees 49er defenders to the inside, but mainly sees Carlos Rogers (the interceptor) is running the same route as him, is right in front of him, so he breaks to the outside where he can get free. I don't know what Eli was looking at there, even had Manningham kept running the route, because Manningham was by no means open and he wasn't going to get open.

And that's when the 49ers put the kibosh on this game as on the very next play, Kendall Hunter goes untouched on the 17 yard TD run. I was scoring at home, and besides this TD run, Hunter had runs of 11, 2, -2, 6, and 4, and Anthony Dixon also had runs of 8 and 2 for the 49ers, while they got their big plays mostly from Del Walker and the big TD to Vernon Davis. Yeah, we missed Boley badly in the 2nd half.

The Giants get the ball back on their own 20 after a touchback this time (thank you, Da'Rel) and the Good Eli re-emerges, throwing a couple of gorgeous throws to Ballard for first downs before lobbing a strike to Nicks for the 32 yard TD pass, a perfect throw against tight coverage by Tarell Brown, who Nicks beat initially, then dragged his helpless body with him into the endzone.

The Giants D went back on the field to give the offense another shot, and they help up their end of the bargain. After two phenomenal tackles by Rolle on Hunter and Walker, respectively, it set up a 3rd and 4, and Osi got a huge sack. No blitz on this play, but Fewell went with the NASCAR/Four Aces, whatever you want to call it. Kiwanuka and Osi where the DE's, with Tuck and JPP inside. Osi ran a stunt to the inside and swallowed up Smith, with Kiwanuka a step behind, swallowing up Osi!

The 49ers punt the ball and it sets up the final drive for the Giants, 6:35 to go. But instead of starting on their own 35, where Victor Cruz returned the ball to, they started on their own 20... because of another Special Teams penalty by you-know-who. The 49ers punted from about their own 12, and the Giants had the field completely flipped on them.

Eli went to work, going 4-4 passing including a 4th and 6 conversion to Manningham on the left sideline that was an absolute dime, and what can only be called generously as a "shovel pass" to Danny Ware. Then on 2nd and 5 from the 42, Manningham has Chris Culliver torched downfield for a an easy TD if only his finger tips were an inch longer. That is as close to a catch without being one as I've ever seen. Mario got both sets of fingertips on the ball with arms stretched out as far as they could go, just couldn't bring it in. Game of inches.

After a second consecutive incomplete pass, this time a chuck and duck to avoid a sack, Manning pulls out a little more magic on 4th and 5, with a strike to Victor Cruz for a first down. Then another completion to Ware who really showed off his receiving skills in this game, with 5 catches for 34 yards. Then another completion to Cruz for 8 yards, and it's 2nd and 2 on the 49er 10 yard line, and this is where they make their last stand.

On 2nd down, Eli throws a beautiful pass on the corner fade for Manningham, whose jersey is grabbed by the aforementioned Culliver, slowing him down just enough so he couldn't get to that ball. No flag.

Then 3rd and 2, and in the redzone, Gilbride goes back to the inside hand off that has, to his defense, worked at times throughout the drive for several yards at a time. Not this time, as Justin Smith throws David Baas away just after the snap and penetrates inside to stop Ware. Baas was manhandled by Smith on the play. Smith made me a believer in this game... he is definitely deserving of the Pro Bowl hype he's been getting.

4th and 2, and a long drive that started with six and a half minutes to go has now come to this with just 38 ticks on the clock, Manning takes the snap and fires it into the leaping Justin Smith's arms, incomplete, ball game.

On the play, Ballard was held badly by Willis, again no call. That went further than just blocking inside the 5 yard window. Also, Pascoe was at the top of the screen, split out wide, running up the sideline with #31 Donte Whitner in man coverage giving a big cushion, giving no respect to the short throw to Pascoe. However, had Eli thrown the short pass to Pascoe, Tarell Brown, who was covering up Cruz in the slot, could've stepped in front of that throw. Pascoe ran to the pylon, apparently just to try and pull inside coverage away. Sorry, but I don't think Pascoe is going to get that kind of respect. No Manningham on the field, and no Barden, who with his size, would've been a one on one match up nightmare there. Gilbride and Coughlin definitely need to work on their personnel packages inside the red zone, because I find a lot of fault with that kind of personnel there, in an obvious passing situation. It was a similar formation (and play call) to the one in which Manning threw the INT to end the Seahawks game, and to be honest, had that ball gotten past Justin Smith, I'm not sure that Cruz (the intended receiver) was going to be able to make a play on that ball. Nicks predictably, and once again, drew the over the top safety to his side and was double covered. TC and Gilbride have to realize that Pascoe is not scaring anyone, and that allows the defense to play matchup on Ballard, and double up Nicks and Cruz, making a positive outcome unlikely.

But enough about that play. My takeaways from the game:

The Giants had long drives in this game that didn't turn into a lot of points. In the first quarter, they got 3 points on a drive that took 8:33 off the clock. The second possession took 6:20 off the clock and also only netted 3 points. Coupled with the onsides kick, an inability to stop Alex Smith from directing FG scoring drives of his own, and the INT by Eli, this really limited scoring chances in the first half. Gilbride and Manning are shortening the game by taking so much time in between snaps. If you believe you have the superior team, you should play more uptempo until you have a good lead, because the more talented team has a better chance of going ahead the more possessions they can get. This didn't happen.

Special Teams mistakes were big in this game. The Giants over and over had to dig themselves out of field position holes. Amazing to me that Derrick Martin still has a job. His time may be up this week if the Giants decide to activate Jimmy Kennedy, coming off his 4 game suspension. Weatherford also had a crucial mistake with a bad punt.

Eli had a up and down day. If you are going to limit your chances to score, you better take advantage when you do have the ball. Some errant throws in this game by Eli, and both of the INTs were poor decisions. Eli got away with a couple more when he threw into double coverage, and of course, the missed pass to a wide open Nicks started the downward spiral. Eli has to recapture the consistency that was his hallmark in the first half of the season.

Other than Special Teams, no Da'Rel Scott sightings on offense. Kendall Hunter was used effectively by the 49ers. He's a small rookie with speed, only 5'7". Not a big help to Alex Smith in the pass blocking game. But the 49ers aren't afraid to get Hunter the ball with 6-8 snaps per game. Take notes, Gilbride. This offense seems to be plodding at times, with no big plays coming from running backs, and few coming in the passing game. We need some game breakers on offense. Scott is a game breaker. Teams are effectively reducing Nicks' contributions to the offense by devoting a safety to his side of the field giving over the top help to the corner. Manningham and Cruz need to give that little extra to not just make the big catch, but to get upfield and score with it.

The modus operandi for Fewell is to play conservative defense in the first half, and get more aggressive with blitzes in the second half. It's time to start putting the throttle down early and keeping it there. Release the Kraken, Perry! The defense played pretty well. They were put in some bad spots with Special Teams blunders and turnovers that led to short fields for them to defend. More often than not, they held the 49ers to just 3. There were standouts, like Rolle, Phillips, Webster, Kiwanuka, Osi, JPP, and Linval. But Ross and Coe were not as good as they were in previous weeks, although they didn't give up any big plays, and the linebacker play of Paysinger, Williams, and Jones after Boley went out was troubling.

You cover up deficiencies by being aggressive. Jim Harbaugh came in with a game plan to be aggressive on Offense, Defense, AND Special Teams, and it worked. The 49ers are not as talented a team as the Giants. They have arguably just as much talent or more in the front 7 on defense, but the New York secondary is much better. Fewell was unprepared for Smith to come out slinging in the first half. His conservative approach allowed the 'Niners to chip away at the scoreboard with FG after FG by Akers, and the defense blitzed effectively, messing up Eli's timing and rhythm, and of course the onsides kick. There is something to be said for starting aggressive and staying that way, and in this game, Harbaugh showed the Giants coaching staff a strong argument for ditching the conservative stuff and let your talent dictate the game.

This is a team I think the Giants match up well with. I like the Giants in a rematch. But only if they turn the playmakers loose so they can have a bigger impact on the game. On to the Eagles.

Good write up. I do agree on the Mannigham INT. If he had continued the route it would have been an INT anyway. He was running into triple coverage. Unfortunately though this is the Manning we know that will force the ball when you absolutely cannot because you are deep in your own end. I agree also that this team needs to be more aggressive and Fewell absolutely plays soft the first half of most games. Maybe he's doing recon but the Giants need to start dictating to the other team what their game plan will be.

I can sum up the loss in a very few words.

Fewell got bambozzled and played the 49rs to run all day......we never adjusted and brought the heat because the 49rs from play 1

came out planning to fool us and pass all day.....unbelievable, what did we blitz twice or 3 times all day?

Eli only threw to Nicks twice all day

Coughlin stubbornly refuses to play DaRel Scott at RB

They removed Boothe from the OLine for Baas

Depite Tom's promise last year his KR blockers would not peel back until the ball was solidly kicked.......We got fooled again

what a shock that team with half our offense would try a trick play :o(

I can sum up the loss in a very few words.

Fewell got bambozzled and played the 49rs to run all day......we never adjusted and brought the heat because the 49rs from play 1

came out planning to fool us and pass all day.....unbelievable, what did we blitz twice or 3 times all day?

Eli only threw to Nicks twice all day

Coughlin stubbornly refuses to play DaRel Scott at RB

They removed Boothe from the OLine for Baas

Depite Tom's promise last year his KR blockers would not peel back until the ball was solidly kicked.......We got fooled again

what a shock that team with half our offense would try a trick play :o(

'

I can sum it up in 2 sentences:

1) Eli is not elite and made errors and displayed poor judgment at critical junctures.

2) The Giants defense is overrated. :o

Definitely agree with you on the aggression issues with Fewell. The only thing on this defense that you could characterize as "special", is the pass rush. There is no reason on any down to rush three and play to a weakness. The go ahead touchdown Brady threw the week before I think they rushed three, though I'm only going by Bob Papa and 660 because I was at work. Personally, I think they should incorporate more linebacker blitzes along with the front four to make it even more of a strength.

Welcome back Egg haven't see you in a while. Your Cowboys looked good on Sunday and the two games with the Giants are shaping up to be the battle for the division. Hopefully for your sake Romo will show up in a big spot for a change.

Please dont feed the animals.......thank you. :)

'

I can sum it up in 2 sentences:

1) Eli is not elite and made errors and displayed poor judgment at critical junctures.

2) The Giants defense is overrated. :o

1. And is still leaps and bounds better than toni homo, so you shouldnt speak on this subject.

2. They got us the division lead thus far. That must make the dallas D (Actually Ware....thats it) pitiful.

Definitely agree with you on the aggression issues with Fewell. The only thing on this defense that you could characterize as "special", is the pass rush. There is no reason on any down to rush three and play to a weakness. The go ahead touchdown Brady threw the week before I think they rushed three, though I'm only going by Bob Papa and 660 because I was at work. Personally, I think they should incorporate more linebacker blitzes along with the front four to make it even more of a strength.

I think the secondary is pretty special. Webster is one of the best CBs in the league, I really don't care what other team's fans say. Ross is not bad, himself.

Great write-up Jim.

I agree especially regarding the selection of running plays. 49ers main weakness on defense was in pass protection....I would have run the ball out of spread formations.

15 opportunities inside the red zone.....but only 2 plays into the red zone....unacceptable. Frankly, I would have called pass plays to the 15 yard line.....would have forced 49ers to protect both the end zone and the 1st down.

On defense......Fewell reverted back to his "Charlie Whitehurst Defense".

I think the secondary is pretty special. Webster is one of the best CBs in the league, I really don't care what other team's fans say. Ross is not bad, himself.

Agreed. Even the backups, (Coe, Grant) have been playing well. Sad that Witherspoon got injured early. I thought we'd see good stuff outta that guy.

Spectacular...the dog was able to skim chapters 1-6, and hopes to get through 7-12 by next week. The dog did see several things to agree with, mainly your insightful comments regarding Manning's inconsistency. Don't bet on him recapturing it completely the rest of the way, inconsistency is the "hallmark" of his career.

By the way, the dog wanted to ask, when you spend hours and hours breaking down the game tape, do you dress in an official Giants coaching golf shirt and khakis and pretend as if you are a coach in your office at Giants stadium? Fun, fun, fun...

Spectacular...the dog was able to skim chapters 1-6, and hopes to get through 7-12 by next week. The dog did see several things to agree with, mainly your insightful comments regarding Manning's inconsistency. Don't bet on him recapturing it completely the rest of the way, inconsistency is the "hallmark" of his career.

By the way, the dog wanted to ask, when you spend hours and hours breaking down the game tape, do you dress in an official Giants coaching golf shirt and khakis and pretend as if you are a coach in your office at Giants stadium? Fun, fun, fun...

Dog, Eli played very well against a very tough defense.. we were one play away from tying the game... Say what you will about Eli but he was our offense, yet again.

And which QB is always on? All QB have inconsistent play.

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Italian Hotdog . View it anyway?

No, it's the usually drivel.

LMAO!!!

Sorry Jim, but that was funny........

He got lucky with that sentence, cause actually, it most likely came from his jealousness of your football smarts.

I know, I know dog, court jester blah, blah......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dog, Eli played very well against a very tough defense.. we were one play away from tying the game... Say what you will about Eli but he was our offense, yet again.

nas, this is where the dog believes the breakdown is between looking objectively and looking as a fan. first, eli was good sunday, and the dog will recant questioning the legitimacy of the 49ers prior to...they are a good team (although the dog does believe they are still a year or two away and a couple of key positions away from being a super bowl contender). however, it is important to look beyond the final stat line and positives (and there were certainly positives to eli's game), and recognize what the dog has been talking about. "allstar" jim somewhere in the epic report even noted this - there were a number of poor throws he made throughout the game that at the time may not have seemed like much, but impact the game. he got away with a few potential picks, and came up short on plays that were on him and that could have changed the scope of the game.

it is what it is. the dog will do the board a favor and let this discussion die for now, but...

nas, this is where the dog believes the breakdown is between looking objectively and looking as a fan. first, eli was good sunday, and the dog will recant questioning the legitimacy of the 49ers prior to...they are a good team (although the dog does believe they are still a year or two away and a couple of key positions away from being a super bowl contender). however, it is important to look beyond the final stat line and positives (and there were certainly positives to eli's game), and recognize what the dog has been talking about. "allstar" jim somewhere in the epic report even noted this - there were a number of poor throws he made throughout the game that at the time may not have seemed like much, but impact the game. he got away with a few potential picks, and came up short on plays that were on him and that could have changed the scope of the game.

it is what it is. the dog will do the board a favor and let this discussion die for now, but...

Sure Eli is good.. he's not perfect.. I feel you seem to set the bar much higher for Eli than other QBs. So far this season and with the exception of Rodgers, Eli has been up there with Brady and Romo.. and Brees. We were one Gibride brain fart away from Winning this game... I will concede Eli's 2nd INT hurt us.

Sure Eli is good.. he's not perfect.. I feel you seem to set the bar much higher for Eli than other QBs. So far this season and with the exception of Rodgers, Eli has been up there with Brady and Romo.. and Brees. We were one Gibride brain fart away from Winning this game... I will concede Eli's 2nd INT hurt us.

Oh no, youre doin it too Nas. Sticking romo conveniently in this debate. I hate how that prick can suck the majority oif the time, and then after one good game hes at the level of these other QBs playing good consistently. :rolleyes:

How is #s are close to Elis now is beyond me. Hes had like 2 good games. :confused:

Oh no, youre doin it too Nas. Sticking romo conveniently in this debate. I hate how that prick can suck the majority oif the time, and then after one good game hes at the level of these other QBs playing good consistently. :rolleyes:

How is #s are close to Elis now is beyond me. Hes had like 2 good games. :confused:

I can't say I've watched any Cowboys game but his QB rating is up there with Eli. And I do think Romo is good.. Eli's clutch though.

QB Ratting as per ESPN

1. Aaron Rodgers, GB 130.7

2. Tom Brady, NE 102.0

3. Drew Brees, NO 101.3

4. Tony Romo, DAL 97.7

5. Eli Manning, NYG 97.0

I can't say I've watched any Cowboys game but his QB rating is up there with Eli. And I do think Romo is good.. Eli's clutch though.

QB Ratting as per ESPN

1. Aaron Rodgers, GB 130.7

2. Tom Brady, NE 102.0

3. Drew Brees, NO 101.3

4. Tony Romo, DAL 97.7

5. Eli Manning, NYG 97.0

This is what Im referring to Nas. How in the hell did he get that rating by his performance thus far this season? He hasnt played that well. <_<

This is what Im referring to Nas. How in the hell did he get that rating by his performance thus far this season? He hasnt played that well. <_<

His QB rating this season ranks him #4... I may hate the cowboys as an organization but I don't hate individual players... unless they're assholes like Emitt Smith was with his big mouth.

Because, BB01, QB rating doesn't take into account throwing a game-ending INT to lose the game. Romo is the perfect stat guy. He piles up phenomenal numbers against bad defenses, like he did against the Bills last Sunday, stats are real sexy looking, and then when you really need him, he has a game like he did against the Eagles 18-35, 203 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. That rating takes in all the stats but ignores the fact that he crumbles under pressure.

I'll take Eli who rises up in the 4th Quarter over a guy that throws for a lot of yards and then makes the big mistake to lose you the game.