SportsWrath

Victor Cruz in a night club

Lughead

That's the way it should be. Football players should be held to the same standards a boxer would be when training for a big fight....IMO.

I mean, I lift and run (occasionally run is more like it) and I feel like I've accomplished nothing physical fitness wise if I drink even a couple beers on a Friday. I feel like the whole week working out was pointless. Guys in the NFL should really have way more respect for their bodies during the football season than they do.

And, like you said, people are going to recognize them.

If your boss told you to quit drinking because he felt it had impacted your work performance real or imagined, would you?

If your boss told you to quit drinking because he felt it had impacted your work performance real or imagined, would you?

Totally different. But yes, if I was a professional athlete whose job requires him to be in pique physical condition every day of the season, there is absolutely no way I ever touch alcohol during the season.

Exactly, they should just smoke weed instead.

They can go out and have fun without drinking (and to be honest, I'm being unfair, that COULD have been what they were doing).

If I were blessed with being a physical specimen, worked hard to get where I am in the NFL, and am in the middle of my 22 work weeks, there's no way I'm drinking alcohol.

You ever see how bloated Matt Stafford is?

LMAO,

Really isn't totally different. Most jobs require you to be sober, some even require you be drug free. Professional athletes probably do more to prepare for their job then the rest of us. How many stories have we heard of players on all kinds of drugs and still performing? If they want to go to a club for a birthday party, nothing wrong with it. You don't sign over your life when you sign any professional sports contract.

Totally different. But yes, if I was a professional athlete whose job requires him to be in pique physical condition every day of the season, there is absolutely no way I ever touch alcohol during the season.

LMAO,

Really isn't totally different. Most jobs require you to be sober, some even require you be drug free. Professional athletes probably do more to prepare for their job then the rest of us. How many stories have we heard of players on all kinds of drugs and still performing? If they want to go to a club for a birthday party, nothing wrong with it. You don't sign over your life when you sign any professional sports contract.

Yes because we were talking about being sober on the football field. :rolleyes:

Last time I checked, I'm not keeping my body in shape to face crushing hits and the game of football week in and week out. Which makes it totally different.

There are drug tests that, if failed, require you face some punishment.

Being in pique physical condition requires that you treat your body like a temple. Putting crap into it goes against this idea. I would feel the same way if I heard Ahmad Bradshaw went to McDonald's today.

Again, if I'm a professional athlete, I'm hiring a cook to prepare the very best meals for me, going to bed before 11 PM every night, and avoiding alcohol. Any athlete should do that. They work too hard to put crap into their body like that.

Steve Smith feels the same way, he posted a ton of stuff on his facebook about his preparation and diet during the season. You also don't hear about him going to clubs.

And you most certainly sign your life over for the length of the football season when you sign a sports contract. Otherwise, they'd be able to do whatever the fuck they wanted without rules. The fact there are team rules that, if broken, can lead to you not getting paid, proves that.

You aren't going to change a personal opinion.

Not different at all, like tempest said all jobs require you to be sober. My question is if you have a few too many one night celebrating, nothing habitual, and come in the next day bleary eyed and slow witted, and your boss says "look storm, there's no law against drinking, but we cant have you coming in here like this, you're costing us money. I'm gonna need you to quit drinking.". You would?

I would tell my boss, respectully, that I will do my best to not let my drinking affect my work, but since you're demanding I quit drinking, I'm going home and punish a 12 pack.

Or more likely hey, at least I showed up, dick." lol

Not different at all, like tempest said all jobs require you to be sober. My question is if you have a few too many one night celebrating, nothing habitual, and come in the next day bleary eyed and slow witted, and your boss says "look storm, there's no law against drinking, but we cant have you coming in here like this, you're costing us money. I'm gonna need you to quit drinking.". You would?

I would tell my boss, respectully, that I will do my best to not let my drinking affect my work, but since you're demanding I quit drinking, I'm going home and punish a 12 pack.

Or more likely hey, at least I showed up, dick." lol

You are completely misunderstanding me. It's not about being sober. It's about drinking alcohol, not getting any sleep, etc negating everything you just did during the week to stay in shape.

Yes because we were talking about being sober on the football field. :rolleyes:

Last time I checked, I'm not keeping my body in shape to face crushing hits and the game of football week in and week out. Which makes it totally different.

There are drug tests that, if failed, require you face some punishment.

Being in pique physical condition requires that you treat your body like a temple. Putting crap into it goes against this idea. I would feel the same way if I heard Ahmad Bradshaw went to McDonald's today.

Again, if I'm a professional athlete, I'm hiring a cook to prepare the very best meals for me, going to bed before 11 PM every night, and avoiding alcohol. Any athlete should do that. They work too hard to put crap into their body like that.

Steve Smith feels the same way, he posted a ton of stuff on his facebook about his preparation and diet during the season. You also don't hear about him going to clubs.

And you most certainly sign your life over for the length of the football season when you sign a sports contract. Otherwise, they'd be able to do whatever the fuck they wanted without rules. The fact there are team rules that, if broken, can lead to you not getting paid, proves that.

You aren't going to change a personal opinion.

You have got to be kidding, don't ask me why I know this but Chad Ochocinco's favorite drink is a coke from McDonalds, are there very many who are in as good a shape as he?

I think the question is, are you saying they shouldn't do it? Or they should make a rule against doing it? (drinking, bad eating habbits)

Wait, so you're agreeing with me then? I should have to not stay out all night and come to work ready to rock and roll? That I should be careful with how I drink and handle myself the night before work? So shit, I do that on my own. That's being a responsible employee. The fact that professional athletes devote 90% of their time getting themselves physically ready to play the game of football, then only 10% actually playing it means that they should, too.

I certainly don't, have never, and will never, go in to work hungover.

Professional athlete being physically and mentally sharp > Storm being physically and mentally sharp.

Not once did I say they should be forced to stay in all the time. I said they should be held to the same standards as professional boxers. Do you think a professional boxer training for a big match goes out to night clubs? LMAO----maybe Bernard Hopkins. :laugh:

My point is, they should WANT to stay in, treat their body with respect, and not put crap into it the week before a big game.

You have got to be kidding, don't ask me why I know this but Chad Ochocinco's favorite drink is a coke from McDonalds, are there very many who are in as good a shape as he?

I think the question is, are you saying they shouldn't do it? Or they should make a rule against doing it? (drinking, bad eating habbits)

Sorry, I'm saying they shouldn't do it, of their own volition. Your friends with Steve Smith, you've seen him label off his meals and preparation. He was devoted and it showed on the field (at least for us).

Wait, so you're agreeing with me then? I should have to not stay out all night and come to work ready to rock and roll? That I should be careful with how I drink and handle myself the night before work? So shit, I do that on my own. That's being a responsible employee.

So you wait until the weekend to drink?

The fact that professional athletes devote 90% of their time getting themselves physically ready to play the game of football, then only 10% actually playing it means that they should do

So they spend all this time working hard, you really think having a few belts at a club once in a while is going to have any impact on their body/performance at all?

You are one of the few my man

Professional athlete being physically and mentally sharp > Storm being physically and mentally sharp.

Who says? I dunno what you do, but if you fuck up at work it costs them money just the same.

Not once did I say they should be forced to stay in all the time. I said they should be held to the same standards as professional boxers. Do you think a professional boxer training for a big match goes out to night clubs? LMAO----maybe Bernard Hopkins. :laugh:

Not much into boxing, but they train for what, a couple months before a fight? Fight once and wait a year? Training camps start in July, plus off season work outs and camps that start in early summer/late spring, the season lasts at least into january. When exactly are these guys supposed to enjoy themselves?

My point is, they should WANT to stay in, treat their body with respect, and not put crap into it the week before a big game.

Do you think Victor Cruz's physical shape or performance Sunday will be affected in any way as a result of going out that night?

So you wait until the weekend to drink?

So they spend all this time working hard, you really think having a few belts at a club once in a while is going to have any impact on their body/performance at all?

You are one of the few my man

Who says? I dunno what you do, but if you fuck up at work it costs them money just the same.

Not much into boxing, but they train for what, a couple months before a fight? Fight once and wait a year? Training camps start in July, plus off season work outs and camps that start in early summer/late spring, the season lasts at least into january. When exactly are these guys supposed to enjoy themselves?

Do you think Victor Cruz's physical shape or performance Sunday will be affected in any way as a result of going out that night?

Of course I wait until the weekend to drink. If I was an athlete, I'd wait 4 months or whatever to drink. It's not that tough. I haven't drank in about 3 as it is (I have stomach problems that are exacerbated if I do, anyway. But I'm no "non-drinker".)

And like I said, I work out like 4 or 5 days a week, I hate weekends in which I drink,because it sets me back greatly. Ask any runner--- the one thing they will tell you they can't touch is alcohol. I would bet the average football player, especially on defense (or, in this case, a WR), runs several miles throughout a game. A one night bender even, definitely affects your stamina and athletic performance throughout the course of several days. Several days translates to several practices. Several practices lead up to game....

Boxers can train for many months....3-4 months....Pacquaio (wow never noticed there is every vowel except an E in his name....) goes for 12 weeks. Ya, it's not full NFL schedule length, it's also for only one fight, not many football games....I would argue that football is much more physically demanding over the course of that time, too. All the more reason to treat your body right.

The offseason is from the beginning of January (for those kicked out of the playoffs)....so from January until, to make it easy on both of us, May----5 months---is not enough time to yourself to do whatever you want?

And there's several millions of difference between my contract and an NFL players contract if I mess up compared to an NFL player messing up.....

And yes, going out one night during the week before a big game, it potentially affecting your practice performance for the rest of that week, could most definitely affect your performance during the game.

Their focus during this time should be on football and family. That's it.

I'm going to end my participation in this thread just by saying if the organization doesn't have a problem with this, why should any of us?

I don't have a "problem" with it. It's just not something I would be doing if I'm a professional athlete. 1. to avoid getting in trouble (strong drink tends to do that, especially for me) 2. because I would feel obligated to do everything I can to make sure I am prepared physically and mentally as well as I can be for the week leading up to the game....

Heck, for all I care go out and go to a club....but be in bed to be able to give yourself 8 hours Zs and have, say, 1 or 2 drinks. Don't get hammered early Tuesday morning (and who knows if that's what even happened, I'm just talking in general) and spend all of Tuesday in bed feeling like crap.....

You aren't going to change my mind that football players, during their regular season and training camp (approximately, what? 22 weeks or so?), should have the self respect and discipline to treat their body with respect. They shouldn't even be drinking. I know I wouldn't be.

1. Because of the obvious physical effects

2. Because alcohol can cause needless trouble

To me it's not about going out to have fun or not....go out, do what you want, just don't get sloshed on a Tuesday morning before one of the biggest games of the season (they practice Wednesday, am I right?)

Haha, when I worked for the Mets..if they played a Friday night game and then Saturday's was a night game (sorta rare) teams would meet up and go get bombed together. I remember Kevin Millar waiting for David Wright and a bunch of other Mets in the lobby at Shea, all went to get shit faced.

Haha, when I worked for the Mets..if they played a Friday night game and then Saturday's was a night game (sorta rare) teams would meet up and go get bombed together. I remember Kevin Millar waiting for David Wright and a bunch of other Mets in the lobby at Shea, all went to get shit faced.

Baseball isn't a sport, it doesn't count. ;)

Plus their season last like their entire year, poor dudes.

I'm not against it, it's just not how I would do it, but I guess I'm taking a pure physical fitness mentality. I could give up on drinking for the sake of the team and my $$$, even on my birthday . I guess it's a good thing I'm not an athlete, lol.

Most NFL and NBA players prefer weed since it doesn't effect there bodies in. Negative way and it's also more enjoyable.

I would agree that it's better for you but if they get tested, I'm pretty sure they get in big trouble for coming up positive for weed.....

I would agree that it's better for you but if they get tested, I'm pretty sure they get in big trouble for coming up positive for weed.....

When you got like 5% bodyfat and excersize as often as these guys do you can get clean in like 2 days. Why not just get together roll some blunts and watch game film?? Seems good to me, plus it's pretty much a fact that NBA players smoke all the time.

LOL, I go into work hungover all the time... Most of the time due to a night out drinking with my boss. Then sometime I go out to lunch and down 3 or 4 and go back to work. Or head to my bosses house and take a couple tokes of the bong.

I still do my Job no problem.

You aren't going to change my mind that football players, during their regular season and training camp (approximately, what? 22 weeks or so?), should have the self respect and discipline to treat their body with respect. They shouldn't even be drinking. I know I wouldn't be.

1. Because of the obvious physical effects

2. Because alcohol can cause needless trouble

To me it's not about going out to have fun or not....go out, do what you want, just don't get sloshed on a Tuesday morning before one of the biggest games of the season (they practice Wednesday, am I right?)

You start thinking like that in your 30s not 20s. In my early 20s I recall waking up in the morning on a Saturday.. did all kinds of errands.. laundry and what not... later that night went to a club... left the club when it closed at 8 AM... went to an after party... left that one at 11 AM to make it in time for a football game at 1 PM... played the game (had a great game too)... all with no sleep.. till about the final play of the game.. pulled my first ever hamstring.. had to be rushed to the ER because that hammy looked awful... and the doctors couldn't believe I'd done all of that with no sleep from the day before...

I would go to work Mondays limping on both legs.. probably a black eye and/or a busted lip... my boss would think I had a fight.. nope.. it's just football :flex:. But now.. fuck that.. I'm too old for this shit.. not as old as Joe or Chuck :smartass: but you know :cool:

They should be able to do whatever they want. They are grown men. But, if you have to get frisked to get into a club, wouldn't you think it's the type of place you shouldn't be going to in the first place? When are the idiots going to learn?

Ayup...the last time I went to a club that I was frisked at...what was I....25 or 26?....Damn near 22 years ago. It was a high end strip joint in Baltimore that I went with my brother too....that doorman frisked to the point where he should have asked me to marry him. I turn around and look at my brother and say we are hanging here... :huh: But once inside, man oh man....I'm no fan of tittie joints where its lookie lookie and no touchie touchie beyond bullshit lap dances...but the women were a fly mix of Blacks, Latins and Asians....but I digress....at this stage of my life...if I am up at 2:30 - 3:00am with a drink in my hand you better believe its a private party of known individuals in a house with none of this street macho bullshit.