SportsWrath

Which NFL Coach is Most Hated by Players?

BleedinBlue

link

Nobody Wants to Play for Coughlin

Thu Nov 10 04:45pm EST

The Sporting News surveyed 111 players around the NFL and asked them a series of questions at the NFL's midpoint of the season. One of those questions was, "Which coach would you least like to play for?"

Not surprisingly, the most popular answers were the mean guys. Here are your top-three vote-getters:

Tom Coughlin, New York Giants - 22

Tony Sparano, Miami Dolphins - 21

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots - 15

Pete Carroll, Todd Haley, Jim Harbaugh, Rex Ryan and Jim Schwartz were next on the list, but none of them had more than six votes. Coughlin, Sparano and Belichick are clearly the meanest teachers in the school.

My guess would've been that Sparano topped the list. Tom Coughlin and Bill Belichick may be unbending hard-asses who will abuse you emotionally every day of your life, but they at least offer the benefit of winning. In 16 years in the NFL, Tom Coughlin is 139-109 (68-60 with the Jaguars, 71-49 with the Giants) and has a Super Bowl ring. Belichick is 167-97 (36-44 with Cleveland, and 131-53 with the Patriots) and has three rings. Sparano is 26-30 and has had exactly one season above .500. It seems like it should be easier to put up with a screaming coach if you're at least winning.

The walking behind has already been claim off waivers by TB.

These guys say they don't wanna play for TC. But look at that list it only have saprono without a ring.

Looks like TB want to resurrect the ghost of Warren Sapp....good luck to them on that one. :rolleyes:

Looks like TB want to resurrect the ghost of Warren Sapp....good luck to them on that one. :rolleyes:

I got a weird feeling that this dude might be productive in TB.... we don't know big AL personally, judging him isn't fair. But switching to TB's 4-3 will help him. I also think the young coach they got will push the big guy into stardom again...

Please take note that i'm on my 4th beer.. yes it just past noon and i don't care LOL..

The walking behind has already been claim off waivers by TB.

These guys say they don't wanna play for TC. But look at that list it only have saprono without a ring.

I know, right?

Remember when we hired TC it was all, "nobody is going to want to play for him!!! Except Plaxico Burress. And Kareem McKenzie. And Antonio Pierce." And now Michael Boley. And Sam Madison. And Antrel Rolle. And about a million other players. It's a bullshit argument... sort of like the "how do you beat a team THREE times in one season?!?!" bullshit that pops up during playoff time, as if that's never happened before.

I mean, a sample of 111 players, that's two teams rosters. Or, roughly, what 3.3 players per team? I don't take that research seriously.....too effected by what they hear in the media. Sample 53 NYG players and see what they have to say. The chances of many of those 111 players actually playing for Coughlin are real slim, so their opinion is null.

Guest StrahansGap

Coughlin is a great coach. In a lot of ways, his position in this poll proves that.

As individuals we rarely want what's good for us.

Damn right!!! Especially when it comes to a leader. We all may complain about our bosses (in this instance Tom Coughlin), but can you REALLY respect a guy like Rex Ryan.....REALLY????

Damn right!!! Especially when it comes to a leader. We all may complain about our bosses (in this instance Tom Coughlin), but can you REALLY respect a guy like Rex Ryan.....REALLY????

Exactly, ya know, one shoe will not fit every foot, some of these guys would love to play for a guy like Coughlin, someone they can learn real football and even some life lessons from along the way, while others would like to be playing for a lax and laid back guy like Rex (because ya know, they're ADULTS and should be treated like ADULTS and not be made to do their job professionally and with class and humility).

The most difficult part of playing for a coach like Coughlin is getting that first foot in the stirrup.....you know, when you first arrive at camp or what not----learning to understand how the guy ticks and just knowing that he commands hard work, dedication, and toughness. As for Rex Ryan, these players seem to have one foot in two different boats, if you catch my drift.....they are kind of stuck between whether they want to be the NFL's most flashiest team outside the gridiron, the team that always has the most fun and whether or not they want to win a Super Bowl.

The man with the boots does not care where he places his feet, and I think that holds true to Tom Coughlin's teams....they come out with a toughness that mirrors Coughlin's own personality---they have the boots----Rex's team wears the Crocs.

I couldn't resist. It's been a long time since I got to pull a Welker. :laugh:

Interestingly, Coughlin has been bringing in military personnel to discuss mental strategies, the concept of winning at all costs, and treating a football game like war. What a cool idea.

During the Giants' bye week, Coughlin brought in two former fighter pilots and a retired Navy Seal who taught Coughlin's players military tactics—and the relentless pursuit of the unattainable goal of "flawless execution"— and how that could translate on a football field.

Here's a link to the article: Wall Street Journal - Coughlin wants military precision from his players

Coughlin is an interesting fella....but he's probably not someone who would be fun to party with. He is all business all the time. The ideal makeup for a football coach.

"Alex....I'll take "Players Coach's" who have won a super bowl for $300"

Crickets......

Seriously....Other then Barry Switzer who was gifted the work of Jimmy Johnson in 93'....what other Buddy Ryan type "players' coach" has won a Super Bowl.....maybe Hank Stram????? Madden????

Shit......Lombardi, Shula, Noll, Cowher, Landry, Gruden, Walsh, Johnson, Gibbs, Tuna, Belly, ...Christ...its like the Hard Ass Hall of Fame.

C. Wagon.

"Alex....I'll take "Players Coach's" who have won a super bowl for $300"

Crickets......

Seriously....Other then Barry Switzer who was gifted the work of Jimmy Johnson in 93'....what other Buddy Ryan type "players' coach" has won a Super Bowl.....maybe Hank Stram????? Madden????

Shit......Lombardi, Shula, Noll, Cowher, Landry, Gruden, Walsh, Johnson, Gibbs, Tuna, Belly, ...Christ...its like the Hard Ass Hall of Fame.

C. Wagon.

Tony Dungy. At his maddest..I don't think he's capable of tearing a piece of toast in half.

Honestly the only true "players coach" I could think of that won a SB was Vermeil.

He literally loved every single player that played for him and constantly had tears in his eyes after big wins, I respected him as a coach to be able to put emotion into the game and still win.

The onside kick was unexpected by the entire world, not just Coughlin.

Akers executed it perfectly. Barden and Paysinger were fooled for about 1/10 of a second but the ball was kicked perfectly. Other than that, they reacted as fast as any football player could have.

There was nothing anyone could do aside from originally lining up in an onside recovery formation.

I fail to see what you wanted Coughlin to do, sometimes opposing coaches make good decisions/calls, too.

Coughlin just hires the special teams coordinator, lol. He also isn't out there trying to recover onside kicks, himself. It doesn't make sense to put that on Coughlin, Jack.

I have to believe however if Coughlin was on the field, he would have caught that and taken in to the house for a touchdown.

:giants:

The onside kick was unexpected by the entire world, not just Coughlin.

Akers executed it perfectly. Barden and Paysinger were fooled for about 1/10 of a second but the ball was kicked perfectly. Other than that, they reacted as fast as any football player could have.

There was nothing anyone could do aside from originally lining up in an onside recovery formation.

I fail to see what you wanted Coughlin to do, sometimes opposing coaches make good decisions/calls, too.

Coughlin just hires the special teams coordinator, lol. He also isn't out there trying to recover onside kicks, himself. It doesn't make sense to put that on Coughlin, Jack.