SportsWrath

Injured players back practicing today

Treehugger

Injured Giants back at practice

October 26

ESPN.com

"The New York Giants are nearing full strength as coach Tom Coughlin said several of his key players will practice on Wednesday. Defensive end Justin Tuck (groin/neck), running back Brandon Jacobs (knee), rookie cornerback Prince Amukamara (foot) and wide receiver Ramses Barden (ankle) are among several injured Giants who will practice, according to Coughlin. "Yes, they are going to practice," Coughlin answered when a reporter began to ask if Jacobs will practice. "I hope we have enough uniforms for these guys," Coughlin cracked. Coughlin wasn't in the mood to give an update on each injured player. When asked about Barden and Amukamara, the head coach said, "I haven't seen them, they are all practicing.""

NY Giants bye week does Chris Snee some good, as guard is cleared to play vs. Miami Dolphins Sunday

BY Ralph Vacchiano

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, October 25th 2011, 4:00 AM

Chris Snee takes a shot in Week 6, but is ready to go against Miami after the bye.

The hit to his head came early in the game, and Chris Snee remembered it as "a pretty good shot." It just wasn't anything unusual, so he kept playing because that's what football players do.

Only later, in the fourth quarter of the Giants' loss to Seattle on Oct. 9, did Snee realize how serious it was.

The 29-year-old guard was blocking downfield and bumped heads - barely - with running back Ahmad Bradshaw and the headache that had lingered for three quarters was suddenly severe. He felt sick and dizzy, like he was about to collapse.

"I remember grabbing onto the referee," Snee said, "because otherwise I was going down."

Two weeks later, Snee said he's symptom-free, and was even cleared by neurologists to return to practice with the Giants Monday. But the last two weeks were a "scary" experience for Snee and his family after he suffered the first concussion of his life. It began with him wobbling off the field, included an ambulance ride to the hospital and more than a week at home in a "fog."

It's an experience the eight-year veteran hopes never to repeat.

"I've been fortunate enough to not have one before, but it was scary," Snee said. "To think that you’re going to pass out on the field, the headaches, the week(-long) fog that I was in was not fun."

Snee said he didn’t recognize after the initial hit that he might have a concussion. As an interior lineman, he gets hit in the head all the time, and since he "was never dizzy," this one didn’t seem to be any worse.

"I didn’t know what (a concussion) felt like," he said. "I just tried to stay out there for my team. I thought I had a headache. I’ve had headaches before. Later on when the dizziness and everything else hit me, I thought it was more serious."

After the game, that was obvious. Snee had a vacant look while sitting at his locker. At one point Tom Coughlin, who is also Snee’s father-in-law, came over to check on him. Later, over Snee’s objections, the Giants put him in an ambulance and sent him to a local hospital, where he was told he would stay the night.

"I was still dizzy. That was scary," Snee recalled. "I think that’s why they sent me for observation, which I was fighting at the time. I didn’t want to be transported out in an ambulance, especially with my kids there, having to see me walk out like that. But it had to be done. I was still dizzy and out of it."

Snee was released the next morning, but still experiencing headaches and unable to pass postconcussion tests. He was told immediately that he wouldn’t be playing in the Giants’ next game against Buffalo – a huge blow to the pride of a player who had started 101 straight games. He said that entire week "I was still keeping a small hope that I could come in and pass that test and wake up one day and feel better.

"But it didn’t happen."

Snee said he’s been headache-free for more than a week, but admitted that if the Giants had not been off last Sunday he "probably would’ve been a little worried about it" if he had tried to play. He is "confident" he will be fine for the Giants’ game against the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.

But now that he knows what a concussion actually feels like, he does worry about it happening again.

"It’s a violent game. We know that going into it," Snee said. "I hope this is the only time I have to deal with it. They say every time it gets worse."

101 straight games for a lineman is absolutely insane. Bravo, Chris Snee. The only thing I worry about for his life down the road is just how many concussions he really has had....

Those "headaches" were probably concussions he played through......

Wondering how fast Amukamara and Barden will be able to contribute.

I still think Barden is a potential weapon, especially in the red zone.

If there's a wager for this Barden to come in play one down and breaks his freaking ankles again. I'll bet the house. Clown dude is worst than that Moss crap we had a few years ago. I'm mad cuz I know he can help but not when you're build of glass. No why can you play four freaking years in college and can't maintain 3 games in the NFL.

101 straight games for a lineman is absolutely insane. Bravo, Chris Snee. The only thing I worry about for his life down the road is just how many concussions he really has had....

That was his first ever concussion... I've had 3. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Just hope this translates into fixing two problems. Running the ball and stopping the run.

I suspect that getting Tuck back should greatly help the run defense, especially on 1st down where we have been most vulnerable.

I also think the break came at a great time for Williams and Jones. They had a full week to study their reads and run fit responsibilities with out the pressure of getting ready for the next opponent. These guys are both rookies who went through shortened preseasons with limited reps.Hopefully the study time can help them to improve and to tighten up the run D as well

Yeah, I have to believe that Cruz has earned his #3 spot on the depth chart. Glad to hear Barden is back though, but he shouldn't be put in above Cruz though unless there's an obvious height advantage over a team's nickle corner or unless Barden, being the bigger body, would be better suited for run blocking.