SportsWrath

How do the Giants fare the rest of the way?

Sephiroth

You just lost at home to a bad Seahawks team who lost their starting quarterback. Saying you can easily go 10-6 or better seems like a big stretch.

Redskins are 3-1 and I think it will be difficult for us to go 9-7. I think 9-7 might end up being the best record in the NFC East though.

Considering the Giants are 3-2, without a victory against a team with a winning record, and the 'Skins aren't far ahead of them in the standings or a markedly better team... 9-7 may very well win the division.

One reason for Giants fans to feel good: there are lots of young guys out there right now, and provided the team can get healthier they'll be ready to play their best football at the end of the season.

I was about to give reasons for Redskins fans to feel good, but I just can't get past Rex Grossman.

I want to go 12-4...........Fkkkkkk the Redskins

our only real competitor right now is Dallas

You're only real competitor is Dallas? Not the team that beat you 28-14, leads the division, and has an easier upcoming schedule?

Let's look at this logically for a second. Here's the schedule for each team in the division (i'm not going to even bother adding Philly). I'm putting down who I think would be favored for each match up if the games were right now. Of course that's a little weird because who knows what will happen with injuries etc. etc. but it isn't hard to see who has the toughest schedule. That would be the Giants. I think the Cowboys and Redskins remaining schedule is about even.

I don't think the NFC East will have a wild card team.

Redskins

vs. Philadelphia - Redskins

at Carolina - Redskins

at Buffalo - Bufallo

vs San Francisco - even

at Miami - Redskins

vs Dallas - Redskins

at Seattle - Redskins

vs New York - even

vs New England - Patriots

at New York Jets - Jets

vs Minnesota - Redskins

at Philadelphia - Redskins

Giants

vs Buffalo - Buffallo

vs Miami - Giants

at Patriots - Patriots

at Niners - 49ers

vs Eagles - Giants

at Saints - Saints

vs Packers - Packers

at Cowboys - even

vs Skins - even

at Jets - Jets

vs Cowboys (again) - Giants

Cowboys

at New England - Patriots

vs St. Louis - Cowboys

at Philadelphia - Cowboys

vs Seattle - Cowboys

vs Buffalo - Buffalo

at Washington - Washington

vs Miami - Cowboys

at Arizona - even

vs New York - even

at Tampa Bay - Tampa Bay

vs Philadelphia - Cowboys

at New York - Giants

Eric from BBI is right.

The Giants have 6-8 wins written all over.

They are a team in transition, witness Cruz+Ballard. They make plays, they make bonehead plays.

Most disturbing, they cannot run or stop the run.

OL is in transition, DEF is way too banged up and without Tuck CANNOT stop the run.

This is not a good team, Eli is really carrying the bunch.

Sorry, this reminds me of 2003 and 2004. The OL and Defense need a lot of improvement, and their offensive skill players aside from Nicks and Eli, ehhh, not sold.

I don't think this team needs many changes.. I think this year is .. let's say to gain experience.. Cruz and Ballard are stars in the making from the looks of it.. our OL needs to gel.. although it's time to start thinking RT replacement. Eli is superb and so is our RBs.. don't forget we have Scott who seems to be a star based on the flashes we've seen from him.

Our D is solid.. it's our DC who is not. That last play against seattle breaks out the other way and we'd all be in a happy jolly mood.

Buffalo - L

Miami - W

Patriots - L

Niners - W

Eagles - W

Saints - L

Packers - L

Cowboys - W

Skins - W

Jets - L

Cowboys (again) - W

8-8

I like how the NFL gives the first draft pick to the worst team the year prior, allowing for the ability to improve the bad teams and thereby create parity and I don't want this to change. But what it also does is create this area of mediocrity that's difficult to escape from. An 8-8 team, unless they get some guys to drop to them or they hit on later round picks or attract quality free agents, can easily find themselves at 8-8 or thereabouts for years despite having some flashes here and there along the way. As much as I hate to see it, I think that's where we are headed.

Buffalo - W

Miami - W

Patriots - L

Niners - W

Eagles - W

Saints - L

Packers - L

Cowboys - W

Skins - W

Jets - W

Cowboys (again) - W

8-8

I like how the NFL gives the first draft pick to the worst team the year prior, allowing for the ability to improve the bad teams and thereby create parity and I don't want this to change. But what it also does is create this area of mediocrity that's difficult to escape from. An 8-8 team, unless they get some guys to drop to them or they hit on later round picks or attract quality free agents, can easily find themselves at 8-8 or thereabouts for years despite having some flashes here and there along the way. As much as I hate to see it, I think that's where we are headed.

10 - 6 :flex:

Exactly, losses like that happen so saying 10-6 or 11-5 is easy is a stretch. You're schedule gets tougher not easier. You think the Seahawks with a backup quarterback, at home in New York is the only team that can exploit your weaknesses?

Right now I'd say the following teams would be favored to beat the Giants. NE,Packers,49'ers, Bills, NO, Jets.

Against the Redskins I'd put the odds as a toss up right now.

Not sure about Dallas. I have a feeling they are going to get better. Eagles appear on the verge of a meltdown.

I'd be surprised if the Giants do better than 9-7 and 8-8 is probably more realistic.

You could go 10-6 or 11-7 but you'll have to get better fast. Certainly not easy

Oh, I didnt say it would be easy, just possible. Adn your assessment of teams that can beat us is a lil off. The 49ers....MAYBE. The Bills, possibly, but they lost to Cincy. And the Jets....no way.

Oh, I didnt say it would be easy, just possible. Adn your assessment of teams that can beat us is a lil off. The 49ers....MAYBE. The Bills, possibly, but they lost to Cincy. And the Jets....no way.

Any team can beat you. See the Seahawks at home with their starting quarterback out if you'd like proof. Doesn't mean any team WILL beat you but the Giants have issues just like every team in this division.

Yes, it's also possible that you go 10-6 and win the division. I'm just saying I don't see that as the most likely outcome based on what I've seen and who you play. I think 10-6 is the rose colored glassed version of how your season goes.

I think any team in the division will have a hard time getting more than 9 wins. I think the Redskins have the best shot at that though based on current record and schedule. Grossman is certainly capable of single handedly screwing that up though.

Mik, I for one think the Redskins have better depth than the Giants right now. Maybe not when camp opened, but now, the Redskins have solid players at just about every position. It's just QB that keeps myself and I think a lot of other people from really believing the Redskins can contend... even for the division. But no doubt, the Skins are trending upward. They are much better than the Redskins of the last 5+ years and if they get a QB (perhaps Landry Jones from Oklahoma) they are going to be a power in the east to be reckoned with.

The Giants biggest problem remains on the sidelines... the coordinators. No reason to lose that game against Seattle except that the coaches went too conservative defensively, and offensively, have not solved the running game issue (which we have the players to resolve).

This team will win when we can run the ball well. I will tell you right now that Buffalo is in for an ass-whoopin' this week... go ahead and place your bets on the Giants.

By that logic the Giants are an even worse 3-2 team in the league.

We very well might be. Eagles 1-4, St. Louis 0-4, Seattle 2-3.

A combined 3-11.

The NFC East is the weakest division in the NFC. Not a single team is going anywhere besides a 1st round playoff loss this season.

Mik, I for one think the Redskins have better depth than the Giants right now. Maybe not when camp opened, but now, the Redskins have solid players at just about every position. It's just QB that keeps myself and I think a lot of other people from really believing the Redskins can contend... even for the division. But no doubt, the Skins are trending upward. They are much better than the Redskins of the last 5+ years and if they get a QB (perhaps Landry Jones from Oklahoma) they are going to be a power in the east to be reckoned with.

The Giants biggest problem remains on the sidelines... the coordinators. No reason to lose that game against Seattle except that the coaches went too conservative defensively, and offensively, have not solved the running game issue (which we have the players to resolve).

This team will win when we can run the ball well. I will tell you right now that Buffalo is in for an ass-whoopin' this week... go ahead and place your bets on the Giants.

I'd agree. I think Grossman is the Redskins biggest problem by far. If we still had Campbell we'd be a pretty solid team. I don't see this team going far in the playoffs but I think they have the best shot at winning the division right now.

A combined 3-11.

The NFC East is the weakest division in the NFC. Not a single team is going anywhere besides a 1st round playoff loss this season.

I wouldnt say that, I think the Skins could beat the Lions or the 49ers, if the playoffs were today that is.

A combined 3-11.

You can't make a statement like that in October, Storm. We very well could play our best football late. That is what I'm hoping. This time last year, the Packers were 3-2, in fact, they lost in week 6 last year as well, so they were 3-3 to start the season, but got hot at the right time and won the Super Bowl. We need to grind out some victories and hopefully we can get hot and stay hot.

You can't make a statement like that in October, Storm. We very well could play our best football late. That is what I'm hoping. This time last year, the Packers were 3-2, in fact, they lost in week 6 last year as well, so they were 3-3 to start the season, but got hot at the right time and won the Super Bowl. We need to grind out some victories and hopefully we can get hot and stay hot.

I dunno man, this year is a Groundhog's Day of last year, IMO. Stupid turnovers, stupid penalties, beating teams with losing records, showing up against other teams with losing records and playing like crap, unable to take down a team with a winning record. Only now, we can't run the ball, our offensive line sucks, and half our defense is injured.

I don't like to bring up 2007, because what happened in 2007 is done and in the past, but I want to bring out one point from that season in terms of judging where a team is headed.

No one looked at the Giants in week 5 that year and said "This team is gonna compete for a SB". We played mostly mediocre football that entire season, and literally things only lit up for us in week 17 when we went toe to toe with the Pats. No one looking at that team in week 5 would have said "Sure, this team is capable of rattling off 3 road playoff wins including two in Dallas and Green Bay, and then they're gonna beat the Pats."

Green Bay was a similar story last year. After all their injuries, at around week 5, no one thought they're gonna be a team shredding people up in the playoffs. But they slugged their way through the year, got in the six seed, were hot at the right time and brought home a championship.

Point is, it's a long season, things can change, teams can change, and if you just scratch and claw to keep yourself in decent position you never know when a team can get on a roll.

Note before I'm flamed: My reference of the 2007 season was just to bring out an isolated point. This team bears little resemblance to that team.

-Z