SportsWrath

Something I don't understand about Ballard

Zelmo

I love this guy...he blocks well, he's dependable, he seems to catch everything you throw his way, but I gotta ask, how the heck does he get open? I mean he might be the slowest tight end catching passes downfield I have ever seen. He's slow like molasses, doesn't run any real nice routes, he just kinda chugs downfield in a slightly slanted line and then catches the ball when thrown to.

Incredible. I'll take it, I'll definitely take it, but I don't really get it.

-Z

I think it's more of the fact that Nicks and Manningham can hurt more then Ballard. Granted he had some nice catches today but at the end of the day Ballard isnt going to make that game winning catch, so I think the defense gives him alittle more breathing room. Heck on that TD catch the nearest defender was 15 feet away.

I think it's more of the fact that Nicks and Manningham can hurt more then Ballard. Granted he had some nice catches today but at the end of the day Ballard isnt going to make that game winning catch, so I think the defense gives him alittle more breathing room. Heck on that TD catch the nearest defender was 15 feet away.

Manningham? He still plays for the Giants? Who would of thunk? 8 rec went for naught today.

I love this guy...he blocks well, he's dependable, he seems to catch everything you throw his way, but I gotta ask, how the heck does he get open? I mean he might be the slowest tight end catching passes downfield I have ever seen. He's slow like molasses, doesn't run any real nice routes, he just kinda chugs downfield in a slightly slanted line and then catches the ball when thrown to.

-Z

He's not lightning for sure.....being 6'6" and 275, but he's deceptive and find's openings. He didn't run in the combines or the Ohio State Pro Day because of a pulled hamstring, but he had consistently posted 40 times around 4.8 (give or take).

He's a little more shifty than he might appear and sizes up the field as he runs moving to the openings. He does have the luxury of defenses not taking him seriously. That will change when he has more and more games like the last couple of weeks. He has great hands and will come up with the ball in tight coverage. And he's a load to try and bring down.

I love watching this guy play. He has definitely earned the starting TE position. He's done more in the first 5 games for the Giants than Beckum has done in two full years in the NFL (Beckum: 171 total yards / 2 TDs) and Beckum can't block. I see Eli throwing to Ballard more and more in the future cuz he catches the damn ball!

I love watching this guy play. He has definitely earned the starting TE position. He's done more in the first 5 games for the Giants than Beckum has done in two full years in the NFL (Beckum: 171 total yards / 2 TDs) and Beckum can't block. I see Eli throwing to Ballard more and more in the future cuz he catches the damn ball!

Must your bring up Beckum??

They should really and truly cut him right now. He's just an awful awful player. Just awful. You can feel the life getting sucked out of a play when it involves him.

:puke:

I don't care who they fill the spot with, but Beckum is useless.

-Z

What are you guys talking about? Beckum was a force out there yesterday. a FORCE.

As you know, I love the guy so I had my I on him all game.

I can recall zero receptions although he did have 1 pass thrown his way.

I can recall zero blocks.

Beckum did make a tackle on ST though which brought his total for the season up to exactly 1.

I wish this guy would do us all a favor, get back in the trainers tub and get the FUCK of the field. I just have no idea why he is still on this team. They should cut him tomorrow and let Seubert come back and work on his rehab with the trainers.

I think I mentioned on the game day thread... Ballard has as good a feel for running routes through zone coverage as any player I can think of. He finds the gap, and runs to it...

(...and Eli really seems to like receivers who run to that exact point dead center of a gap in zone coverage... funny how passes to guys like that seem to be more 'accurate'.)

Defenders kinda hope the play is over before Ballard can get open. Why run with him downfield when you can catchup to him when you need to.

-Z

Defenders kinda hope the play is over before Ballard can get open. Why run with him downfield when you can catchup to him when you need to.

Sure if the defense doesn't mind giving up 20 yards on a play. So far Ballard has 10 receptions averaging 19.2 yds per catch.

Nicks with 28 receptions is averaging 14.7 yds per catch. Manningham has 13 receptions and is averaging 13.2 yds per catch.

I think there's a little more to it than the defense letting him catch the ball because they know they can run him down. Ballard may not act like a quick change jackrabbit and squirt around like a 5'6" 150 lb RB, but he is deceptively shifty or he wouldn't be getting open the way he has. And he catches the ball and he's a load to bring down.

I've admired Witten (begrudgingly so) as he has single-handedly wreaked havoc on Giants' defenses over the last few years and he isn't fast or makes incredible moves to get open. And yeah....we can catch up with Witten after he catches the ball.....but he's already got a first down by the time we do. BTW, Witten (one of the best TE's in the NFL) has a lifetime average of 11.4 yds per carry and although he has soft hands and catches the ball consistently, he goes down a lot easier than Ballard.

I think we have a gem of a TE on our hands and the more comfortable Eli gets with him, the more action he's going to see. I do think the announcer's comparison to Bavaro yesterday was a little over the top. Bavaro did those things year in and year out and carried the Giants on his back many times.

He (Ballard) made the game winning catch against AZ

When are you going to come to realize Nicks, Cruz and Ballard have become one of the top 5 receiving corp in the NFL..............Manningham has become #4

If Cruz started yesterday we would have won by a landslide

When are you going to come to realize Nicks, Cruz and Ballard have become one of the top 5 receiving corp in the NFL..............Manningham has become #4

Jack whatever it is you're smoking, it's awfully good.

-Z

well Cruz does about 8 catches and 160 yds per game

Manningham 8 catches in 4 games

There is no comparison.............as Eli would say they are not in the same league

I was referring more to your insinuation that Manningham is less of a receiving threat than Ballard.

-Z

well Cruz does about 8 catches and 160 yds per game

Manningham 8 catches in 4 games

There is no comparison.............as Eli would say they are not in the same league

Cruz has 19 receptions thus far, 386 total yds, and averages 20.3 yds per catch.

Cruz has stepped up and been a player for sure. But Manningham is no slouch. He hasn't had as many ball thrown his way this year as has Cruz. It could be that defenses are aware of the danger Mario can be and he draws tougher defenders whereas Cruz is an unknown and he gets played a little softer.

Regardless.....we have a very good receiving corps.

Once again I never said we didn't have a top end receiving corp.

Jack you really need to learn how to read other peoples posts.

Or is the Jack logic something along the lines of "Oh he made a post obviously he must of stated an opinion that doesnt agree with mine, I'm going to make 150 threads about it"

Or are you just looking for attention?

Once again I never said we didn't have a top end receiving corp.

Jack you really need to learn how to read other peoples posts.

Or is the Jack logic something along the lines of "Oh he made a post obviously he must of stated an opinion that doesnt agree with mine, I'm going to make 150 threads about it"

Or are you just looking for attention?

BINGO!!

Manningham does not get the ball thrown his way because he cannot get open, can not run precise routes, and drops a lot of them

The fact Manningham has been the starter for a few years is irrelevant............Cruz was not there then.......he was injured last year

Now he's there.....................PLAY HIM

Napoleon said it best........... "If you have a Cannon...... USE IT" :confused:

Waiting until we are 10-14 points down to open up Cruz is madness

Manningham does not get the ball thrown his way because he cannot get open, can not run precise routes, and drops a lot of them

The fact Manningham has been the starter for a few years is irrelevant............Cruz was not there then.......he was injured last year

Now he's there.....................PLAY HIM

ivers

Napoleon said it best........... "If you have a Cannon...... USE IT" :confused:

Waiting until we are 10-14 points down to open up Cruz is madness

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but Cruz's mistakes not only allowed Seattle to grab a field goal and pull within 3, but another of his mistakes completely made it impossible for us to win.

Man, with receivers like that, who needs CBs?

you presumptious offisious mean spirited little man

You think Cruz slipping and reaching for a ball thrown into 3 man coverage...........way out of his reach from a QB 5 yds away was strictly Victors problem????????????

Gilbride and the man who threw the pass bear the brunt of the blame

the play never should have been called............the pass never thrown............Cruz almost caught it despite all the tomfoolery :confused:

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but Cruz's mistakes not only allowed Seattle to grab a field goal and pull within 3, but another of his mistakes completely made it impossible for us to win.

Man, with receivers like that, who needs CBs?

The man is nearly leading the NFL in recieving......... carries a 21 yds per reception number and is a part time player............back off