SportsWrath

So the Cruz fumble....

Zelmo

It was a fumble. I don't believe the whistle had blown. He was not touched down. Had he gone feet first, I'd understand the whole 'he was giving himself up' argument. He went head first HOPING and EXPECTING to be touched. He wasn't. Play was still live.

I'll take the W too, but we definitely got away with one there. On to the Seahawks.

He gave himself up, the Cardinals players didn't even try to touch him down. Called down because he gave himself up. As Pdouble posted, it's in the rule book. Right application of a bad rule (depending on who it favors, I guess, it is a good rule for us).

Via Pdouble:

On key NYG play, pg 35 of rulebook "Official shall declare ball dead...when runner declares himself down by falling to ground or kneeling & making no effort to advance." Rule 7, Section 2, Article 1 (e), page 35 of NFL Rule Book

I saw it applied once before in another Giants game...it was either during the mid 80's or early 90's Giants. A Giant was getting tackled and being twisted into an agonizing pretzel and just laid the ball down to protect himself. Either Markbreit, Seaman or the big Southerner who would yell "THAT'S A FIRST DOWN" was refereeing the game and made the call that the player was giving himself up.

It wasn't a fumble. He never lost control of the ball, he lay on top of it for a few seconds then got up. The Cardinals players didn't touch him because they were trying to extend the play and run time off the clock.

It was stupid, he should have waited for a whistle, but it wasn't a fumble. I think the ref made the right call.

Ayup

It was a fumble. I don't believe the whistle had blown. He was not touched down. Had he gone feet first, I'd understand the whole 'he was giving himself up' argument. He went head first HOPING and EXPECTING to be touched. He wasn't. Play was still live.

I'll take the W too, but we definitely got away with one there. On to the Seahawks.

It was blown, play was called dead. Even the defenders stopped.