SportsWrath

So the Cruz fumble....

Zelmo

The guy fell on the ball. There were no Cardinals trying to vie for the ball in the vicinity. If he thought he had fumbled it, he would have gone ahead and grabbed it again. The Cardinals had not stripped Cruz of the ball, nor did they try to wrest possession of the ball from him. Cruz fell, left the ball and walked away for the next play. Since the whistle had not been blown, the Cardinals thought they had a shot. I think using human common sense (which isnt so common) its obvious, Cruz of his own accord left the ball. The Cardinals tried to use the rules to see if it was possible for them to get possession because of Cruz's oversight when they knew that they hadnt done anything worthy enough to have 'taken' possession of the ball.

The guy fell on the ball. There were no Cardinals trying to vie for the ball in the vicinity. If he thought he had fumbled it, he would have gone ahead and grabbed it again. The Cardinals had not stripped Cruz of the ball, nor did they try to wrest possession of the ball from him. Cruz fell, left the ball and walked away for the next play. Since the whistle had not been blown, the Cardinals thought they had a shot. I think using human common sense (which isnt so common) its obvious, Cruz of his own accord left the ball. The Cardinals tried to use the rules to see if it was possible for them to get possession because of Cruz's oversight when they knew that they hadn't done anything worthy enough to have 'taken' possession of the ball.

:clap:

Exactly. The Giants didn't get lucky because he made a play and obviously thought he was either touched, 2 Cardinal defenders right next to him, or he had given himself up. If that had gone as a fumble it would have been very lucky for the Cardinals. Also a big fuck you to Sunday Night football acting like the Giants got lucky with the touchdown by catching the Cardinals off guard. The refs reviewed the play as unchallengeable and then Nicks scored.

You have to tell it like it is. I'm really impressed with Cruz. He is making play after play and has really made a lot of strides in his route running and reads since the preseason. He is a legitimate weapon now. But he fucked up there. There's no two ways around it. I guarantee he was spoken to about that and the point was driven home, that he does not let go of that ball until he's touched down. That very easily could have gone against us, and I have seen similar plays to that go the other way. I won't call it luck because I believe the rule was used correctly. But I also won't say that Cruz didn't have a mental lapse on the play, he most assuredly did and it could've cost us the game. It didn't, we won, and I'm glad for that.

1- he was pushed from behind made another step and then went down.....he was touched, just not when he went down voluntarily

2- The Cardinal shit their pants in the 4th Qtr and did not deserve to win on a technicality- Eli, Nicks and Cruz owned them

3- Makes up for the offensive interference non call in the infamous SFO game in 2003..........we was robbed.....but you know what the way we played that 4th Qtr WE deserved it

4- the ref declared he had given himself up and rolled the ball on the ground as he was getting up......purposely the play was over, admitededly he should have handed it to the ref but the Giants were trying to reassemble for the hurry up

5- Enough of the Cards whinning.......they had a chance to stop Cruz, prevent the pass reception........they just stood there like clowns

6- Ref had robbed us of a time out shortly before that.......perhaps it was a make up call

On to the Seahawks, who are not push overs

Good Call.

Bad rule.

come to think of it.. it's a good rule... AZ was trying to run some time off the clock.. Cruz gave up on the play after he went down.. it was obvious.. Of course I wouldn't recommend he lets go with the ball like he did because the refs could have gotten it wrong.. but it's a good rule..

Plax does this all the time, just lays down to end the play.

Cruz was touched right before goin down, and if you look at the replay in slo mo....it looks like he was touched again right before letting the ball go and on one knee. If there would have been a challenge, we would have won it, he was down.

You have to tell it like it is. I'm really impressed with Cruz. He is making play after play and has really made a lot of strides in his route running and reads since the preseason. He is a legitimate weapon now. But he fucked up there. There's no two ways around it. I guarantee he was spoken to about that and the point was driven home, that he does not let go of that ball until he's touched down THE WHISTLE BLOWS. That very easily could have gone against us, and I have seen similar plays to that go the other way. I won't call it luck because I believe the rule was used correctly. But I also won't say that Cruz didn't have a mental lapse on the play, he most assuredly did and it could've cost us the game. It didn't, we won, and I'm glad for that.

Zelmo- It was not a fumble

Fumbles happen when you get hit by another player or the ball slips out of your hand

The play was over and he rolled the ball on the ground while getting up to go back to the huddle

get yourself an NFL official rulebook

Unless your name is Eli Manning and you slide face first onto the turf and the ball comes loose :P

:clap:

Exactly. The Giants didn't get lucky because he made a play and obviously thought he was either touched, 2 Cardinal defenders right next to him, or he had given himself up. If that had gone as a fumble it would have been very lucky for the Cardinals. Also a big fuck you to Sunday Night football acting like the Giants got lucky with the touchdown by catching the Cardinals off guard. The refs reviewed the play as unchallengeable and then Nicks scored.

Cruz purposely fell down on the ball...and in his mind he wanted to end the play there. No one with half a braincell would walk away leaving a doubtful ball behind. The refs called it right....sometimes rules can suck. Rules are meant to be bent or broken. Rules can fuck you in the ass. At such times common sense should prevail. Its obvious he made the catch...fell on his own and walked. Next play....thats it...to hell with the rules. If the Cardinal defenders were in a melee with Cruz Id say wrong. But this case....it was obvious. Similar to the tuck rule - yeah the rule might be whatever, but everyone and their grandmothers knew Brady was not letting the ball go and was tucking it in at that instant. The rule fucked the raiders and the rest is history.

Tree, thanks for the correction.

Ice... I agree the rule was applied correctly. However, the whistle had not yet blown when Cruz let go of the ball. In the post game comments, Cruz admitted he thought he was touched down, and he said he was "a little scared" that the play was going to be ruled a fumble.

Yes, he gave himself up and fell down on purpose. Yes, it was a good call. And yes, Cruz fucked up because he didn't play to the whistle and the refs very well could've called that the other way. Coughlin, Eli, everyone in that locker room knows that Cruz had a mental lapse there and it could've cost us. Glad it didn't, glad the rule was called correct, but if it was ruled a fumble, the refs probably wouldn't take a lot of heat for that call, either. It was a judgement call... and you can't leave the outcome of a game to a judgement call by a ref. #1 rule in football... PLAY TO THE WHISTLE. Period.

And I'll take the win... 3-1! We are in a good spot, got to keep the momentum going.

Unless your name is Eli Manning and you slide face first onto the turf and the ball comes loose :P

Good point... wasn't Eli giving himself up in that game? Shouldn't he have just been called down? I guess it's different if you lose the ball WHILE you're giving yourself up, lol.

Giants vs. Cardinals: NFL okay with no fumble call on Victor Cruz

GLENDALE, Ariz. — Mike Pereira might not have agreed with the call on Victor Cruz's non-fumble in the Giants' 31-27 victory against the Arizona Cardinals, but his successor did.

Carl Johnson, the NFL's vice president of officiating, agreed with the call made on the field when Cruz was ruled to have declared himself down, according to someone informed of Johnson's review of the play. The person requested anonymity because the league didn't release any information on Johnson's review of the play.

Pereira, the former of head of officiating who's now an analyst for Fox, said the play should have been ruled a fumble that was recovered by the Cardinals, saying the officials shouldn't have protected Cruz from his own "stupidity." Cruz released the ball because he believed he had been touched down.

By rule, the play could not be challenged because it's a judgment call. The Giants scored the game-winning touchdown on the next play.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/10/giants_vs_cardinals_vp_of_offi.html

Good point... wasn't Eli giving himself up in that game? Shouldn't he have just been called down? I guess it's different if you lose the ball WHILE you're giving yourself up, lol.

It was too goofy for the Giants to argue at the time I guess.. lol. Probably no one thought "hey he gave himself up" which in fact he did.

unless you have a time machine handy its a moot point Nas...........was the ugliest play by a NY Giant EVER..........he deserved to lose

rivals Tony Romo fumbling the FG snap...........that made Parcells snap

Not trying to reverse history.. just merely giving my self props for bringing up that play in this discussion lol

That's actually exactly why it was a fumble by Eli. He lost possesion going down, Cruz never lost possesion he just wasn't touched and left the ball there. This is actually kinda similar to the distinction between the Victor Cruz play last week against the Eagles and the Calvin Johnson play, Victor Cruz didn't have to maintian possesion going to the ground because he had already established possesion.

Darn Cruz making the refs work the rulebook.

-Z

That's actually exactly why it was a fumble by Eli. He lost possesion going down, Cruz never lost possesion he just wasn't touched and left the ball there. This is actually kinda similar to the distinction between the Victor Cruz play last week against the Eagles and the Calvin Johnson play, Victor Cruz didn't have to maintian possesion going to the ground because he had already established possesion.

Darn Cruz making the refs work the rulebook.

-Z

Right on, Z.

Right on, Z.

I think Eli lost possession when he hit the ground untouched.......he was scrambling, and did not slide so he was a runner......whatever......it was the ugliest play since 40 yrs ago when Garo Yupremian a kicker tried to toss a forward pass like a girl.