SportsWrath

So the Cruz fumble....

Zelmo

I don't feel guilty about this for two reasons. Number one because, well because a W is a W, and that basically squashed whatever feelings of guilt were stirring. And number two is because it's not like the refs messed up on some play where the Cardinals stripped one of our guys or something, or made a nice play against us, causing a fumble, and then the refs screwed up. It was in fact us that had just made an excellent play, and as unbelievable as the call was by the refs, all it did was take away what would have been an equally unbelievable brain fart and assinine mistake by Cruz.

Being that Cruz shouldn't have done what he did in a million years, and had they ruled it a fumble it would have been one of the most head shaking ridiculously stupid things I've ever ever witnessed, I don't feel too bad about the refs giving it to us. To me it's a lot different than the refs screwing up a big call concerning actual football competition, as opposed to just reversing Cruz's idiocy.

-Z

It's this game's equivalent of the "tuck rule."

The right call of a bad rule.

You thought it was properly applied? When the play happened I thought Cruz kinda just dove down, what they're calling "giving himself up", but on the replay it looked kinda like he tripped. I gotta check it out again.

-Z

You thought it was properly applied? When the play happened I thought Cruz kinda just dove down, what they're calling "giving himself up", but on the replay it looked kinda like he tripped. I gotta check it out again.

-Z

He gave himself up, the Cardinals players didn't even try to touch him down. Called down because he gave himself up. As Pdouble posted, it's in the rule book. Right application of a bad rule (depending on who it favors, I guess, it is a good rule for us).

Via Pdouble:

On key NYG play, pg 35 of rulebook "Official shall declare ball dead...when runner declares himself down by falling to ground or kneeling & making no effort to advance." Rule 7, Section 2, Article 1 (e), page 35 of NFL Rule Book

He gave himself up, the Cardinals players didn't even try to touch him down. Called down because he gave himself up. As Pdouble posted, it's in the rule book. Right application of a bad rule (depending on who it favors, I guess, it is a good rule for us).

Via Pdouble:

On key NYG play, pg 35 of rulebook "Official shall declare ball dead...when runner declares himself down by falling to ground or kneeling & making no effort to advance." Rule 7, Section 2, Article 1 (e), page 35 of NFL Rule Book

I understand the rule...I'm not one of these guys who thinks refs are like supposed to be judicial activists or something and not call by the rulebook. The refs should definitely call what's in the rulebook, as weird as the rules may be.

Just on second watch wasn't sure if he had given himself up or not.

-Z

He was within the rules..........if the runner goes down and does not try to advance the ball afterwards, the play is OVER

now YOU get over it

The Giants got held a thousand times tonight..........and were cheap shoted on the call for holding on Grant

We were lucky to get out of AZ with the Refs and the setting against us

Classic Trap Game overcome with panache.

Victor Cruz is AMAZING

He was within the rules..........if the runner goes down and does not try to advance the ball afterwards, the play is OVER

now YOU get over it

The Giants got held a thousand times tonight..........and were cheap shoted on the call for holding on Grant

We were lucky to get out of AZ with the Refs and the setting against us

Classic Trap Game overcome with panache.

Victor Cruz is AMAZING

You are right about that... the holding was atrocious... right in the middle of the play many times.

Via Pdouble:

Fact is, he went to the ground, and then got up without the ball. At no time was the ball outside of his control. So, I can understand why the refs would see it that way.

Still, really hope the coaches instruct the players to give the ball directly to the refs after the play is over. This isn't the first time I'm see a very casual attitude regarding the ball.

It was a fumble.....

Cruz Got Lucky

The Refs really Sucked this game... I complain about them a lot but they were truly Atrocious this game. Both the cardinals and the giants should file formal complaints to the league office about the officiating tonight

It was a shitty call.. It was a fumble, IMO.

I think we dodged one.. I thought it was a fumble all the way but the rule says if the player is not trying to advance the ball then the play is dead.. which is exactly how it went down... I was still shocked the refs gave us the ball.. I'll take it.

It was a shitty call.. It was a fumble, IMO.

Yeah, to be honest it looked like he went down, thought he was touched and left the ball on the ground. Lucky for him he went backwards to the line and didn't try and advance the ball.

Random question...Let's say Cruz had been ruled down by a contact, and they were reviewing that...the play was whistled dead, so how could they give the Cardinals possesion?

-Z

I believe there is a rule that would award possession of the ball to the defense if it was obviously recovered by the defense, but there would be no forward progress. Possession would take place at the site of the fumble recovery.

It was a fumble.....

Cruz Got Lucky

The Refs really Sucked this game... I complain about them a lot but they were truly Atrocious this game. Both the cardinals and the giants should file formal complaints to the league office about the officiating tonight

I agree. when it occurred i was tearing my hair out and was shocked when the review went our way.

FWIW: kudos to Coughlin for trying so hard to get a play off in front of a challenge flag.

I suspect TC saw it the same way I did.

Still, at the end of the day, every other year or so, there is a game that you always swear that the refs stole. Well this was the one they gave back to some extent.

Why do I say "to some extent"? Because it is fine AND HELPFUL to get lucky but they pay you to fucking execute!!

When luck came our way? we executed. which is why we won the game/.

It wasn't a fumble. He never lost control of the ball, he lay on top of it for a few seconds then got up. The Cardinals players didn't touch him because they were trying to extend the play and run time off the clock.

It was stupid, he should have waited for a whistle, but it wasn't a fumble. I think the ref made the right call.

It wasn't a fumble. He never lost control of the ball, he lay on top of it for a few seconds then got up. The Cardinals players didn't touch him because they were trying to extend the play and run time off the clock.

It was stupid, he should have waited for a whistle, but it wasn't a fumble. I think the ref made the right call.

I agree with you.

That is EXACTLY how I saw it, as well.

Im trying to find video of it, because from where I was in thestands, it didnt look lie a fumble. I was kinda up there though.....but to us, it didnt look like a fumble.

Well, it wasn't so much of "was it a fumble?" He intentionally left the football on the ground....but the question was whether or not he gave himself up as down, which, in my opinion, he most certainly did. A boneheaded play, nonetheless.

Well, it wasn't so much of "was it a fumble?" He intentionally left the football on the ground....but the question was whether or not he gave himself up as down, which, in my opinion, he most certainly did. A boneheaded play, nonetheless.

I just saw it on the blitz on ESPN......he was down. He clearly gave himself up, and was proceeding to the next play. From up in the stands, it looked like he was just lightly tackled....lol