SportsWrath

Jerry Palmieri

hlb37

I know this guy was discussed in preseason in light of injuries but what really frost's my lemons is the way we give up points right before halftime. EVERY WEEK.

I don't get it. Maybe it is just magnified in my mind and it happens to every team all the time but it sure seems to happen to us a lot.

Hell they gave up 10 of Philly's 16 right before half last week.**

are our guys properly conditioned? is this a mental thing?

**This sequence was set up by the brilliant play of Travis Beckum of course but the D did not in any way pick him up.

I usually see these injury situations as luck. Good luck when the team survive them and bad when they can't.

It happens to every team, it happened to Green Bay last year.

yes. I am more interested in the way we collapse every week right before half time. This would, on the surface anyway, raise questions about conditioning.

I don't think it can be cured with a visit to Nas's Yoga group either.

yes. I am more interested in the way we collapse every week right before half time. This would, on the surface anyway, raise questions about conditioning.

I don't think it can be cured with a visit to Nas's Yoga group either.

Correct, my yoga group would limit the number of pulled hamis, quads, groins and pectoral injuries. Conditioning on the other hand and shying away from aggressive defensive posture are whole other issues.

Correct, my yoga group would limit the number of pulled hamis, quads, groins and pectoral injuries. Conditioning on the other hand and shying away from aggressive defensive posture are whole other issues.

haven't you had recent struggles with an achilles and a knee though??

Maybe you need to score a new One of these.

yogi_bear-5308.jpg

haven't you had recent struggles with an achilles and a knee though??

Don't understand the dig but ok.. I'll bite:

My knee issue is hardly recent... torn miniscus is from overuse. For a small guy I'm overly agressive and didn't have surgery till 3 years after the pain started.. and became unbearable... of course you can also credit the doctors who would recommend an x-ray and see nothing. I had to insist on an MRI.. and that's what showed multiple tares in my left knee... had the surgery back in 2004.. wasn't myself for a year.

The Achilles was a bitch of an injury.. I've always wanted to incorporate yoga into my regimen but when you work 8 am to 6 pm on average.. and have daily migraines.. not to mention the gym offered one class at 6 pm.. it made it that much more difficult.. as in.. I'm not a professional athlete.. I need my full time job to pay my bills.. for players in pro-sport IT IS THEIR JOB to say fit and well conditioned.

ohh now I get it. You wouldn't have tendon and ligament issues if you just had the time to do yoga.

So this is more of a fixation then the informed opinion of a practitioner?

Seriously Nas, these are professional athletes, they do not need outside stretching consultants.

ohh now I get it. You wouldn't have tendon and ligament issues if you just had the time to do yoga.

Seriously Nas, these are professional athletes, they do not need outside stretching consultants.

Yea professional athletes who pull hammies and quads etc... they're young and lack that discipline to do so on their own.. Amani Toomer admitted to me personally he felt the need to change his regimen... but that's beyond the point..

Being a professional athlete, having an elite physical skill, is no guarantee that same person understands nutrition or how to care for their body.

For example, former top tennis player Andre Agassi famously declined to incorporate stretching into his training. (Until his late career surge in the rankings, that is.)

One would think that pro athletes would know all this, thats the common sense outlook... but professional athletes aren't known for their common sense.

Being a professional athlete, having an elite physical skill, is no guarantee that same person understands nutrition or how to care for their body.

For example, former top tennis player Andre Agassi famously declined to incorporate stretching into his training. (Until his late career surge in the rankings, that is.)

One would think that pro athletes would know all this, thats the common sense outlook... but professional athletes aren't known for their common sense.

Correct and blame it on age. A few years back I was ironman.. now I wake up.. wake up with something wrong.. and I'm not exactly that far removed from my "younger" years. For someone who didn't play at pro or even collegiate level (had a chance to start for the SJU soccer team but I needed my full time job to make ends meet), I can tell you I've suffered more sports injuries than all of my friends combined... serious ones too.. pulled hammies alone 4 times.. I've had 5 surgeries... 3 broken noses, 1 torn miniscus, and one torn Achellis... and god knows if they need to operate on my neck after my dumb ass tried (although successfully) to tackle a guy 2.5 my size running full speed with the football.

So yes, H, I don't understand the dig.

So yes, H, I don't understand the dig.

I think it is beyond ridiculous to suggest that a couple of yoga sessions at the Y would eliminate knee injuries in the NFL.

Not only does this notion strike me as patently absurd, but some anectdotal tale about Andre Agasi fails to change my mind.

Proper and effective weight training and isometric exorcise at the hands of professionals yes. Yoga? no.

I think it is beyond ridiculous to suggest that a couple of yoga sessions at the Y would eliminate knee injuries in the NFL.

Not only does this notion strike me as patently absurd, but some anectdotal tale about Andre Agasi fails to change my mind.

Proper and effective weight training and isometric exorcise at the hands of professionals yes. Yoga? no.

But that's not what I said. You changed what I said to fit your argument. And not once did I mention "knee injuries"... it's a fact that the more flexible a person is the lesser the chance of him/her suffering a MUSCLE injury of any sort... I specifically named Hamstring, Quads, Groin, and Pectoral..

Yoga IS a form of exorcize that stress flexibility of the muscle.. it's a disciplined form of stretching.. something younger people don't pay attention because in our minds we're ironmen.. till we fucking pull a hamstring.

Says the guy with 6000 posts to the guy with the 37,000 posts.

Says the guy with 6000 posts to the guy with the 37,000 posts.

LOL.

Hey Nas it appears you are in good company on your bizarre Yoga theory.

My favorite guy on the team, break out Offensive force Travis Beckum, is right there with you.

he had this to say about his hammy issues earlier this year.

"I'm questioning where all this is coming from," Beckum said.

Beckum didn't sound all that certain about suiting up against the Redskins, either.

"I'm just hoping for the best," Beckum said. "I've got to get in the pool or do yoga or something. I've got to get my hamstrings right."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/some_good_tuck_for_giant_opener_swhjKR5wdzbCLkj9fEeJfK#ixzz1ZRGzTtLf

LOL

LOL.

Hey Nas it appears you are in good company on your bizarre Yoga theory.

My favorite guy on the team, break out Offensive force Travis Beckum, is right there with you.

he had this to say about his hammy issues earlier this year.

"I'm questioning where all this is coming from," Beckum said.

Beckum didn't sound all that certain about suiting up against the Redskins, either.

"I'm just hoping for the best," Beckum said. "I've got to get in the pool or do yoga or something. I've got to get my hamstrings right."

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...K#ixzz1ZRGzTtLf

LOL

LOL... I saw that too. And I wonder if he's been in the pool or done any yoga yet.

You can call it whatever you want... yoga?...hell, the important part is the stretching combined with the breathing techniques, you can throw all the philosophy and metaphysical shit out the window.

Just watch the Giants during pre-game stretches and warm ups... they and most other if not all NFL teams, are doing the exact same shit to prepare that everyone one of us probably did back in pee wee up to high school football. I'm sure its better than nothing, but I've seen people get better results from different techniques.

Sometimes the way its always been done isn't the best way. I'm reminded of the transition in the '70s and '80s for football players to begin anaerobic weight training... before that time, weight training was looked down on in the football community. There were a couple linemen on the 'Skins (Dave Butz, I'm 100% positive was one of them... one of the strongest men in the NFL in his time) during the 80s that famously derided weight lifting... something you would NEVER hear from a top lineman 30 years later. But he was a professional, wasn't he? Shouldn't he know what he's talking about?

I have to say that I'm unconvinced by the premise of this thread - I don't think the Giants are any more injured than the average team, I don't think they're conditioning is any worse than the average team - I do think those issues tend to loom large in our minds because we're fans of the team.

But just for the sake of argument, lets say the Giants are getting injured because of some unknown flaw in the way they're being trained by Jerry Palmieri. What is it they're doing in there, anyway? "Proper and effective weight training and isometric exercise"? Wait... doesn't that sound familiar?

Logically, the unknown flaw that this thread implies... by process of elimination, must be that the team's training is lacking something other than weight training and isometrics.

I know, we joke about this shit, but yoga techniques have their place for top athletes. Isometrics are a big part of yoga techniques. As is something else very suitable to professional football players - balance. Sometimes you're stretching while working another muscle group isometrically while balancing yourself while getting a cardiovascular workout... it applies very, very well to football. Make fun all you want, it works.

I can see it now CD. We come roaring out of the tunnel before a hypothetical big game. 53 guys run to mid field. Roll out some snazzy new line of Reebok / NFL Branded Yoga Mats and immediately go into Dog Licking Balls.

It would certainly unnerve that days opponent.

I can see it now CD. We come roaring out of the tunnel before a hypothetical big game. 53 guys run to mid field. Roll out some snazzy new line of Reebok / NFL Branded Yoga Mats and immediately go into Dog Licking Balls.

:facepalm: You're doing a great job at missing the point. But ok.

LOL.... whatever gets the Giants a Lombardi Trophy, I'm all for.

I hope you're having fun at willfully missing the point, hlb. I get you though, if you haven't been exposed to it I can see where intensive flexibility training might seem out of place in a football context. Don't expect or care if you take my word for it, I just think it would be something beneficial for the Giants and other NFL teams to consider.

That is... if they aren't already. I'm not seeing yoga mats pregame (not that I would ever expect do, but shit wouldn't that be funny!), but that doesn't mean it isn't happening behind closed doors.

Although evidently Beckham wasn't partaking.