SportsWrath

Giants sign WR

Lughead

Jeez, how many drops does Cruz have in his NFL career? 1. Can we give the guy more than one pass before we crucify him?

Wasn't it just last pre-season (before his injury) when people were practically anointing him the next Jerry Rice?

How about he just sucks, and the clock struck midnight over a year ago for the kid.

When he was injured in the preseason of his rookie year...after being named the preseason standout player? I think he deserves more than one pass attempt to determine if he's got a future.

I dont recall Moss having the droppsies eihter

what I do recall is Coughlin never using the guy

Why do you guys protect Coughlin so much????? Is he that good

Should we be bronzing him in Canton?

Yeah and Moss blossomed into a star after we finally cut him loose, right?

And Jack, no coach is ever going to be perfect. I've been irritated with every coach the Giants have had in my lifetime at some point during almost every game I've watched in my lifetime. Second guessed every one of them. But you have to step back and balance things without the anger and emotion.

Does TC piss me off sometimes? Yeah...but on balance, I still think he's a pretty good coach. He's coaching a rebuilt, wounded team right now (the lockout could not have come in a worse year for us). You just don't lose Smith, Boss, Goff, T Thomas and all the DB depth, then throw Osi & Tuck injuries into the mix, along with a new Oline and expect to operate without missing a beat right out of the box. It's hard to be creative when your team isn't executing and you're losing too many one on one match ups. I think it will get better - the Oline will jell (gel?), receiver situation will work itself out, Dline will get healthy, Prince gets healthy and DB's will get on same page - but I think it will be too late. As Fish pointed out, the 2nd half schedule is brutal. I'm seeing 6-10.

And I know you like Gruden. Ever heard what he has to say about TC? Worships him. Said he wishes his son could play for him. Also, a former Giant who played for TC lives in my town and I know him through little league and other stuff (message me if you want to know who but don't feel right quoting him publicly). He swears to me that TC is a great coach. Not good. Great. These are people who know a little more than I do, so I try to remember that when I'm cursing at TC during the game.

And Jack, no coach is ever going to be perfect. I've been irritated with every coach the Giants have had in my lifetime at some point during almost every game I've watched in my lifetime. Second guessed every one of them. But you have to step back and balance things without the anger and emotion.

Does TC piss me off sometimes? Yeah...but on balance, I still think he's a pretty good coach. He's coaching a rebuilt, wounded team right now (the lockout could not have come in a worse year for us). You just don't lose Smith, Boss, Goff, T Thomas and all the DB depth, then throw Osi & Tuck injuries into the mix, along with a new Oline and expect to operate without missing a beat right out of the box. It's hard to be creative when your team isn't executing and you're losing too many one on one match ups. I think it will get better - the Oline will jell (gel?), receiver situation will work itself out, Dline will get healthy, Prince gets healthy and DB's will get on same page - but I think it will be too late. As Fish pointed out, the 2nd half schedule is brutal. I'm seeing 6-10.

And I know you like Gruden. Ever heard what he has to say about TC? Worships him. Said he wishes his son could play for him. Also, a former Giant who played for TC lives in my town and I know him through little league and other stuff (message me if you want to know who but don't feel right quoting him publicly). He swears to me that TC is a great coach. Not good. Great. These are people who know a little more than I do, so I try to remember that when I'm cursing at TC during the game.

Gruden was pulling your leg

Tom is old and tired and the team is not responding to his tirades anymore

Yes we lost people, but the ones left standing were sleep walking last sunday

I'm not down on Coughlin. I like Coughlin. I think he is a good coach. But he chose iffy coordinators. HE has to fix the fact that his defensive coordinator's repeated game plan of playing soft zone is the equivalent of say, Dwight Howard stepping aside when Kobe is driving for a dunk, and just hoping he misses. This defense HAS to take chances. What I saw in that game is a defensive line that was getting pretty good pressure, but a back 7 that didn't play up on the receivers, and just let the QB throw quick slants and out routes. You have to get up on that man and make the QB and receiver earn it. Take away the short stuff and risk getting beat deep sometimes. Because by the time these guys finish their double move and are open, JPP is already in the QB's face. But the back 7 has to allow that to happen by taking away the short high percentage throws. That's not happening, and it's how we got beat by the Redskins week 1, AND how we got destroyed by the Packers and Colts last year.

what do you like about Coughlin most?

- game preparation

- player motivation

- player/coach relations

- in game adjustments

- halftime adjustments

- press relations

- strength and conditioning co-ordination

- ability to anticipate trick plays

- sideline composure

- ability to select and direct assistants

I'd really like people to assess Coughlin in all of the above catagories and score his performance say Vs Bellicheck, Reid, or Parcells, Spags

In my opinion he's a very very average head coach........in some areas like adjustments he's downright poor

Is he really a great Head Coach, an average one, or in decline?

I'm no longer down on TC (except for his sideline antics but I guess that's his personality).. As Jim said though.. our Coordinators are atrocious.. we have a ton of talent and horrible coordinators.

I'm not down on Coughlin. I like Coughlin. I think he is a good coach. But he chose iffy coordinators. HE has to fix the fact that his defensive coordinator's repeated game plan of playing soft zone is the equivalent of say, Dwight Howard stepping aside when Kobe is driving for a dunk, and just hoping he misses. This defense HAS to take chances. What I saw in that game is a defensive line that was getting pretty good pressure, but a back 7 that didn't play up on the receivers, and just let the QB throw quick slants and out routes. You have to get up on that man and make the QB and receiver earn it. Take away the short stuff and risk getting beat deep sometimes. Because by the time these guys finish their double move and are open, JPP is already in the QB's face. But the back 7 has to allow that to happen by taking away the short high percentage throws. That's not happening, and it's how we got beat by the Redskins week 1, AND how we got destroyed by the Packers and Colts last year.

I hear you on this, Jim. When I saw our DBs dropping back 8 yards back into zone coverage on 4th & 5, the whole neighborhood heard me. I think what it came down to Sunday and in the Packer & Colt games you cite, is Fewell, rightly or wrongly, did not have confidence in his match ups. Rogers and esp P Manning are deadly at anticipating the blitz and finding the most vulnerable one on one match up. Sunday, it wasn't the QB but our depleted DB corps that made Fewell overly cautious. As has been mentioned here many times, A Ross is not T Thomas.

Be that as it may, I agree that sooner or later, you have to take the training wheels off and challenge the DBs to play tight man....or at least pick your spots to do so. We might then be cursing them for getting beat but giving the opposing QBs a steady diet of drop back zone makes the underneath and seam stuff ridiculously easy - candy from a baby.

Here is Sinorice Moss career stats (he also plays for the Eagles now.......I guess they are as dopey as us huh?)

Notice his average yds per catch, and only 1 fumble in his 3 yr career

Apologies are in order I believe

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7793

Sinorice problem was entrenched WRs in front of him, Coughlin refused to use him, and he was hurt a few times

They kept him around for a reason.......they thought he had potential

Here is Sinorice Moss career stats (he also plays for the Eagles now.......I guess they are as dopey as us huh?)

Sinorice problem was entrenched WRs in front of him, Coughlin refused to use him, and he was hurt a few times

10.8 yards/catch, 39 receptions in three years. Woopie!

No Jack. He was cut by the Eagles. What are you gaining from his 39 career receptions, and 11.4 average, 3 yard average after the catch? The only time this guy did anything was in garbage time. Oh yeah, he muffed punts, too... was good at that. And he was a hurt a few times? Try almost ALL the time.

Again, the Eagles cut him after one preseason. We kept him far too long. Most players would've worked their way up the depth chart by their performance Jack. And Moss was with us from 2006 to 2009. You're incorrect that receivers were entrenched above him. We had Plaxico and Toomer in 2006-07. Both left the Giants within the time that Moss played for us. Both players had their last season with us in 2008. Plax wasn't even with the team for much of 2008.

FACT... Domenik Hixon was starting over Moss. Hixon, Jack. Steve Smith missed most of last year. Both Nicks and Manningham were drafted after Moss had been with the team at least 2 seasons, Steve Smith was also drafted a season after Moss. You would think that the Giants using 2 third round picks, a 2nd round pick, and a first rounder on WR in the subsequent years after drafting Moss in the second round is a tacit admission that they swung and missed on Moss, big time.

No Jack. He was cut by the Eagles. What are you gaining from his 39 career receptions, and 11.4 average, 3 yard average after the catch? The only time this guy did anything was in garbage time. Oh yeah, he muffed punts, too... was good at that. And he was a hurt a few times? Try almost ALL the time.

Again, the Eagles cut him after one preseason. We kept him far too long. Most players would've worked their way up the depth chart by their performance Jack. And Moss was with us from 2006 to 2009. You're incorrect that receivers were entrenched above him. We had Plaxico and Toomer in 2006-07. Both left the Giants within the time that Moss played for us. Both players had their last season with us in 2008. Plax wasn't even with the team for much of 2008.

FACT... Domenik Hixon was starting over Moss. Hixon, Jack. Steve Smith missed most of last year. Both Nicks and Manningham were drafted after Moss had been with the team at least 2 seasons, Steve Smith was also drafted a season after Moss. You would think that the Giants using 2 third round picks, a 2nd round pick, and a first rounder on WR in the subsequent years after drafting Moss in the second round is a tacit admission that they swung and missed on Moss, big time.

This post was so emphatic, it was like it had audio, too.

you guys are hillarious

Eli can throw 4 picks in a game but hes a great QB

Couhglin can pick some fool off his assistant's staff and declare him a DC and hes a great head coach

meanwhile guys who have had 3 passes thrown their way in their entire careers buy mr inaccurate are inherently bad receivers

you have to give guys a chance to develop

Cruz needs some real reps in games before you brand him for life