SportsWrath

Giants sign WR

Lughead

Solid signing. He was a tough dude, unafraid of going over the middle in his prime. Unfortunately, his prime was like 4 or 5 seasons ago.....and he doesn't bring in anything that Devin Thomas and Domenik Hixon (possibly even Victor Cruz) don't already bring better.....

Sounds like a fresh body signing. We're starting early this season, boys!

So do we grade Reese based on him getting a veteran receiver or for just another receiver?

I realize the money isn't there to go shopping, but must we start from the bottom and work our way up?

That seems to be the state our franchise is in....unfortunately.

I'd say the 07-10 era where we were contenders every year, talent-wise, is over....

Who got cut?

The Giants added veteran receiver Brandon Stokley to likely compete for the slot spot.

Stokley, 35, had 31 receptions for 354 yards in 11 games with the Seahawks.

His best season came with Peyton Manning in 2004 when he had 68 catches for 1,077 yards and 10 touchdowns. Giants fans might remember Stokley from the 2000 Super Bowl when he had three catches for 52 yards and one touchdown for Baltimore against the Giants.

Domenik Hixon and Victor Cruz have been auditioning for the third wide receiver spot as the team looks to replace the void left by Steve Smith. NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reported that the Giants worked out T.J. Houshmandzadeh and former Jet David Clowney along with Stokley on Wednesday.

“I like it,” Hixon said of playing the slot. “Working inside, watching Steve do it for a long time and do it well. I’m waiting for my opportunity.”

“Just kind of navigate through some of the junk [on the field],” Hixon added of what playing in the slot requires. “You got a lot more junk in [there]. Linebackers trying to put their hands on you, DBs, little things like that. Just traffic.”

Cruz got the first crack at the slot on Sunday but dropped a pass on a 3rd-and-8 on the team’s first drive. Cruz was only targeted twice the entire game. Hixon finished with two catches for 21 yards as the team employed some four-wide sets.

With Stokley, the Giants have seven wide receivers. It remains to be seen what the team will do to make room for Stokley on Thursday. They did add defensive end Justin Trattou to the roster off the practice squad last week to provide depth with Justin Tuck out.

Tuck could play this week against the Rams. Stay tuned.

Stokley is one of the best slot receivers in the history of the NFL. And I know some will say that is hyperbole. But he hasn't stuck around this long for no reason. Yes, he's old. But he's sure handed, and he is a terrific route runner that will pick up the offense quickly. We have personnel that is more athletic. I think right now the brass wants a guy that will know what to do without thinking so damn much, run precise routes, and haul the pass in. Obviously athleticism and elusiveness is not a premium for now. In that respect, it's a short term solution and a solid signing. I hope they will give Devin Thomas a chance at some point. Every thing the guy has done in games has shown he is a more than capable receiver and has upside in the playmaking department.

Stokley is one of the best slot receivers in the history of the NFL. And I know some will say that is hyperbole. But he hasn't stuck around this long for no reason. Yes, he's old. But he's sure handed, and he is a terrific route runner that will pick up the offense quickly. We have personnel that is more athletic. I think right now the brass wants a guy that will know what to do without thinking so damn much, run precise routes, and haul the pass in. Obviously athleticism and elusiveness is not a premium for now. In that respect, it's a short term solution and a solid signing. I hope they will give Devin Thomas a chance at some point. Every thing the guy has done in games has shown he is a more than capable receiver and has upside in the playmaking department.

I'm still from Missouri.

Solid signing. He was a tough dude, unafraid of going over the middle in his prime. Unfortunately, his prime was like 4 or 5 seasons ago.....and he doesn't bring in anything that Devin Thomas and Domenik Hixon (possibly even Victor Cruz) don't already bring better.....

Sounds like a fresh body signing. We're starting early this season, boys!

I am guessing Joe Jurevicus wasn't available