SportsWrath

Um, joemorrisforprez...

ksm7

two QBs playing tonight on opening night = elite

eli manning = something that resembles the foul smelling brown stain on the bottom of your underpants...

the dog looks forward to another year of eli's consistently inconsistent brand of adequate football...enjoy.

eli manning = something that resembles the foul smelling brown stain on the bottom of your underpants...

the dog looks forward to another year of eli's consistently inconsistent brand of adequate football...enjoy.

Eli is an above average QB. Has yet to miss a game.. and his stats speak for themselves. What's this obsessions with Eli anyway? Mark Sanchez can't hold his jock strap yet he's treated with kid gloves...

Lots of extraordinary defense being played as well.

These two teams couldn't stop a fucking nose bleed.

It's not like you can pass rush either one of these guys.....lol. They both release the ball within like 2 seconds. And if you get pressure on Rodgers, he's going to avoid it 90% of the time. Neither team can cover the amount of good receivers either team has. It's not bad defense, it's amazing offense. Neither team could run the ball.

But hell, let's add 4 or 5 more pass rushers to the detriment of our linebackers, DTs, and corners and see if we can even remain competitive against a team like GB. Oh wait, we already tried that once and got completely picked apart.

I shall reserve comment pending the results of the Giants-Washington game.

Until then, my good man.

p.s....Please stop sniffing my underpants.

au contraire

GB punished Brees made him run backwards like kerry collins

New Orleans could not get near Rogers

Jack - Brees still threw for 419 yards and three TD's... yeah, they got him once in awhile... and one of those stops is the difference in the game, but Brees still has a chance to tie the game at the very end if Payton doesn't take the ball right out of his hands after he drove them 80 yards in 1 minute with no timeouts.

Storm has a very good point. If you don't have the corners to cover those wideouts, you can't beat the Packers, and probably not the Saints either.

au contraire

GB punished Brees made him run backwards like kerry collins

New Orleans could not get near Rogers

They didn't get near him because he's quick and decisive with where he wants to throw it. And he rarely, rarely checks down. He's the Anti-Eli.

There was one time last night where James Starks missed a block on a blitz, Rodgers calmly sidestepped the blitzer, and completed the pass.

And Brees had an amazing game, too.

Jack - Brees still threw for 419 yards and three TD's... yeah, they got him once in awhile... and one of those stops is the difference in the game, but Brees still has a chance to tie the game at the very end if Payton doesn't take the ball right out of his hands after he drove them 80 yards in 1 minute with no timeouts.

Storm has a very good point. If you don't have the corners to cover those wideouts, you can't beat the Packers, and probably not the Saints either.

And don't just take my word for it. There's a body of evidence from last year against our very own team. If our guys can't get to Rodgers within 2 seconds, he's going to get the pass out. And no one wants to play press coverage against the Packers because they will be beat deep. You can't play physical against wideouts anymore either, so what are the options, really?

The way the NFL is any more, teams like GB and NO are going to have a lot of success because they are evolving with the NFL. A bruising running game and a pass rush aren't enough to win games anymore.

Eli is an above average QB. Has yet to miss a game.. and his stats speak for themselves. What's this obsessions with Eli anyway? Mark Sanchez can't hold his jock strap yet he's treated with kid gloves...

the dog is uncomfortable with the fact that you mentioned Mark Sanchez, the holding of Eli Manning's jock strap, and kid gloves all in one sentence...

They didn't get near him because he's quick and decisive with where he wants to throw it. And he rarely, rarely checks down. He's the Anti-Eli.

There was one time last night where James Starks missed a block on a blitz, Rodgers calmly sidestepped the blitzer, and completed the pass.

And Brees had an amazing game, too.

this is 100% key to this point (although the dog would argue he is not only decisive and quick with the ball, but also extremely and CONSISTENTLY accurate), which is again the difference between QBs like last night and most of the league, including eli. It has also been said (the dog can't recall which coach made the statement last year) that Brees and Peyton Manning are one in the same when it comes to preparation, understanding the offense, dissecting defenses during pre-snap reads, and delivering the ball on time and accurately. Rodgers is just plain great...

this is 100% key to this point (although the dog would argue he is not only decisive and quick with the ball, but also extremely and CONSISTENTLY accurate), which is again the difference between QBs like last night and most of the league, including eli. It has also been said (the dog can't recall which coach made the statement last year) that Brees and Peyton Manning are one in the same when it comes to preparation, understanding the offense, dissecting defenses during pre-snap reads, and delivering the ball on time and accurately. Rodgers is just plain great...

Very true. And even with lower percentage pass plays, like the back shoulder throw, he's pinpoint.

your right

I don't deny any of that

However, we are a running team that passes not a passing team that cannot run

A Giants vs either of those teams game would look very very different.........to be honest the team that looks the most like us is cough cough...........the JETS........except Eli for all his shortcomings is still far far better than Mr GQ

but for a few stupid turnovers last year we would have beaten the Packers by a hair......

Our corners are fine........they are the starting 2007 SB Champ corners with better LBers and Safteys, and D Line

I'd say you can still win with the run pass balance we have but you have to be very very good at running and you have to have the passing game too

• 1 month later...

And so, Dog, here we are, at the midpoint of the season.

I believe a sufficient passage of time, and accumulation of statistics, allow a more accurate assessment of Eli's performance this season.

In fact, many other critics have modifed their opinion of Eli Manning. I have even heard the term "elite" bandied about.

And so, please consider this a "truth and reconciliation moment".....your opportunity to revise your opening comments.

I believe a sufficient passage of time, and accumulation of statistics, allow a more accurate assessment of Eli's performance this season.

In fact, many other critics have modifed their opinion of Eli Manning. I have even heard the term "elite" bandied about.

And so, please consider this a "truth and reconciliation moment".....your opportunity to revise your opening comments.

well, joe, the dog would certainly admit that little eli is having an excellent season to date. but as you know, 8 games does not a season make, and does not erase 7 years of inconsistency. how the season plays out for him remains to be seen, but he has to date overcome one key thing that has plagued him in his career, and that is taking care of the football. however, the dog is not nearly ready to offer him that label of elite just yet. why? here is one reason:

Team Total Defense Ranking Passing Defense Ranking

Eagles (3-5) 12 9

Redskins (3-5) 13 11

Rams (1-7) 24 12

Seahawks (2-6) 16 18

Bills (5-3) 26 25

Dolphins (1-7) 24 27

Cards (2-6) 28 29

Pats (5-3) 32 32

5 of the 8 teams they have played rank in the bottom half of the league in pass defense, and 6 of the 8 rank in the bottom half in total defense. In fact, 4 of the teams rank in the bottom quarter of the league in pass defense, and 5 rank in the bottom quarter of the league in total defense. The teams on their schedule combine for a 22-42 record overall to date. This is not to take a shot at manning or the giants, this is just the facts of the case to date. Let's see how the year plays out, shall we?

Hmmmm...the "critics"...

The same critics Giants fans ridicule every year for picking their team and their QB to be average...

The same critics that jump the gun on almost every judgment...partially because it is their job...

Let's see what these critics are saying in Dec and Jan when, some numbnuts safety on a Patriots team that is not even in the playoffs is not around to obliterate a covered WR at the 1 yardline to whom, our "elite" QB admits that he was not even looking to hook up with -- our "elite" QB was actually throwing the ball away...

I'm sure there will be plenty of people "revising" their comments by year's end. I don't think I will be one of them.

The house of cards will fall. And I'm not talking about Arizona.

Hmmmm...the "critics"...

The same critics Giants fans ridicule every year for picking their team and their QB to be average...

The same critics that jump the gun on almost every judgment...partially because it is their job...

Let's see what these critics are saying in Dec and Jan when, some numbnuts safety on a Patriots team that is not even in the playoffs is not around to obliterate a covered WR at the 1 yardline to whom, our "elite" QB admits that he was not even looking to hook up with -- our "elite" QB was actually throwing the ball away...

I'm sure there will be plenty of people "revising" their comments by year's end. I don't think I will be one of them.

The house of cards will fall. And I'm not talking about Arizona.

Say what you will Egg but you just can't go against an overall QB rating of 98. And you just can't question not one but TWO td drives in the final minutes of that game.

Say what you will Egg but you just can't go against an overall QB rating of 98. And you just can't question not one but TWO td drives in the final minutes of that game.

You can't take away the TEAM win. A win is a win. But to elevate this to anything more is just silly.

I had the Cowboys as an 8-8, 9-7 type team at the beginning of the year. The most disappointing thing about their loss to the Patriots is not that they lost to the Patriots, is that they lost to an average team.

That's what the 2011 Patriots are. Average. By year's end, they may be a joke.

The Patriots are smoke and mirrors and their coach and QB deserve tons of credit for what they are doing.

Average to below average defense (actually statistically ranked dead last in the NFL).

No running game.

No deep threat.

Nothing.

At best, the Patriots are one and done in the playoffs.

Take it for what it's worth. One more step in the ladder that the Giants need to make a run.

But if you are labeling anything or anyone elite at this point you are fooling yourself.

And you're smarter than that.

The rest of the season will prove me right.