SportsWrath

Per Ralph V

Allstarjim

Boley is the SAM backed up by Williams and Paysinger.

Kiwi is the WILL backed up by Herzlich

Jones is the MIKE and has no backup as of yet

Here's a link to the updated depth chart: link

I'm pretty sure they have the WILLs and SAMs backwards.

Or maybe I've just been completely fucking up the terminology for the last ten years, and not a one of you has ever called me on it.

Or maybe I've just been completely fucking up the terminology for the last ten years, and not a one of you has ever called me on it.

In the past, maybe a season or two ago, they said that it is backwards. I really don't care what they call the linebacker spots. You might as well just call the SAM and WIL the same thing, outside linebackers. It's semantics. I just call Boley the WIL because athletically and traditionally, that is what he is. Meaning Boley is a coverage linebacker (traditionally the WIL), and Kiwi is the run-stopping linebacker (traditionally the SAM). They might do it backwards, in fact I'm sure on some plays they do and some plays not. The weakside is the side the TE is not lined up on. As everyone knows, a TE can line up on either side of the OL, then go in motion to the other side, so it really doesn't matter.

In the past, maybe a season or two ago, they said that it is backwards. I really don't care what they call the linebacker spots. You might as well just call the SAM and WIL the same thing, outside linebackers. It's semantics. I just call Boley the WIL because athletically and traditionally, that is what he is. Meaning Boley is a coverage linebacker (traditionally the WIL), and Kiwi is the run-stopping linebacker (traditionally the SAM). They might do it backwards, in fact I'm sure on some plays they do and some plays not. The weakside is the side the TE is not lined up on. As everyone knows, a TE can line up on either side of the OL, then go in motion to the other side, so it really doesn't matter.

Thats how I always thought it worked too.

The Giants and their wacky backwards terminology. Maybe thats why they suck in the "Green" Zone.

this is what I thought, Boley is the Will backed up by Paysinger and Williams at WLB.