SportsWrath

Smith ready to go for Eagles

Treehugger

Now an Eagle, Smith says Coughlin miscaluated comeback

NFL.com

Former Giants receiver Steve Smith didn't play in his return to New Meadowlands Stadium for the Eagles' preseason finale against the New York Jets, but he expects to be ready to face his old team when they visit Philadelphia on Sept. 25.

"It felt good wearing that green," he told the New York Daily News on Thursday night. "I'm an Eagle now."

Smith signed with Philadelphia on Aug. 10 and practiced for the first time on Aug. 27 after undergoing microfracture surgery on his left knee during the offseason. He hopes to play in the Sept. 11 regular-season opener against the St. Louis Rams.

Smith's recovery took less than the four to six weeks predicted by Giants coach Tom Coughlin during the offseason.

"I didn't know what coach Coughlin was talking about," Smith told the newspaper. "I expected to be ready, if not all the way, at least to participate. I did quite a bit in practice. (Thursday), we pushed it a lot. I did everything. It felt good."

Smith, who will return to the Meadowlands on Nov. 20 to play the Giants, said the team's offer to keep him wasn't good enough.

"It was tough but that's the business of the game. I got injured and that's what happened," Smith said. "I don't think the Giants thought other teams were going to want me. Who knows? But the Eagles seemed more eager to have me."

The 26-year-old Smith was considered one of the best slot receivers in the game before his injury. He caught 107 passes for 1,220 yards and seven touchdowns in 2009. Last season, he caught 48 passes for 529 yards and three touchdowns before his knee injury in December.

LOL....fuck Steve Smith. He'll get injured quickly, and Ill laugh.

I certainly won't feel bad for him.

I still think Reese fucked the pooch on this one....but Smith and his agent are the ones who a) rejected a big offer last season before he got injured and b) Jumped at the Eagles offer without giving the Giants a chance to match.

So, fuck Smith.

I still think Reese fucked the pooch on this one....but Smith and his agent are the ones who a) rejected a big offer last season before he got injured and b) Jumped at the Eagles offer without giving the Giants a chance to match.

So, fuck Smith.

Me either Joe, and I dont give a shit if its classy or not, fuck Steve Smith.

So, fuck Smith.

+1

Yeah lets laugh at other people getting hurt.

Classy.

the dog can't understand wishing injury on others...seems like the childish response when someone does something you don't want them to do. and this all because he went and got himself the best deal he could at the time. some people are so pathetically small in this world...

Maybe I'm just being a homer, but I think the Giants are more conservative about injuries than the Eagles are....and as a result, they act in a manner that is more protective of the long-term careers of the players.

Again, maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe I'm just being a homer, but I think the Giants are more conservative about injuries than the Eagles are....and as a result, they act in a manner that is more protective of the long-term careers of the players.

Again, maybe I'm wrong.

+1

Except in Sintims case.

So he went with the team, that said we will play you right away, even though you are not ready and when you get hurt again, your career will be over. Instead of the team, that said, We will let you rest the knee and then figure out a longer contract after this year. Way to go Steve. :rolleyes: Fuck him anyway.

So he went with the team, that said we will play you right away, even though you are not ready and when you get hurt again, your career will be over. Instead of the team, that said, We will let you rest the knee and then figure out a longer contract after this year. Way to go Steve. :rolleyes: Fuck him anyway.

or...take less of a deal smith, we will let you rest away half the season, then work out a cheaper long term deal if you survive the season...the dog doesn't get the issue...if your smith, you take the best deal you can get now. that's the bottom line. giants didn't have it, so he left. such bitterness for no reason...

or...take less of a deal smith, we will let you rest away half the season, then work out a cheaper long term deal if you survive the season...the dog doesn't get the issue...if your smith, you take the best deal you can get now. that's the bottom line. giants didn't have it, so he left. such bitterness for no reason...

they never said less of a deal, they said they would of matched what Philadelphia offered. They even offered Smith a deal, last year before the injury, that would of made him one of the highest paid WR's in the NFL. He turned it down to test the market. If he stayed healthy the Giants would of offered him, a lucrative long term deal at year's end. The Giants were trying to do him a favor, instead he is gonna reinjure himself and his career will be over. He will be paid nothing next year, by nobody.

Someone just needs to step up that's all. Smith made a business decision, and while I hate the Eagles more than any team in sports, I know that we the fans take the rivalries and loyalties way more serious than the players do. Either way, it's an opportunity for the guys behind Nicks and Manningham to carve out a defined role on this team. At the end of the day We still have one of the best receiving duos in the league. Hell, if Hakeem and Mario take another step forward they could be the best.

IF STEVE CAN PUT ON ABOUT 200 LBS AD PLAY TACKLE GUARD OR CENTER IT MIGHT MATTER

As things stand Vick will be running for his life before Smith can get into his short pass route

Will he make a difference against the teams with a pass rush like us......probably not

Also I cannot remember anyone coming back from microfracture surgery and being anything but a shell of themselves the 1st year.

Again, maybe I'm wrong.

They are definitely more concerned with a player's long-term health. They cut Bavaro in the hopes he would retire because of his knee deterioration, and the Eagles snapped him up.

And before anyone here has a stroke, Smith has had one practice, about 4 weeks after the signing. He's nowhere near playing shape.