SportsWrath

Dodge or Weatherford - who wins the job?

BleedinBlue

One man's (Ed Valentine) view:

"Weatherford may have gained the upper hand. He had two punts for a 37.5-yard average, with one downed inside the 20. Dodge had two punts for a 44-yard average. The difference? When Dodge was asked to drop a punt around the 10-yard line he blasted one into the end zone. Sure, he got a bad snap from Zak DeOssie, but that is the kind of pressure situation the Giants need Dodge to be able to handle. Weatherford, on the other hand, dropped a perfect kick on the 10-yard line that spun back to the coverage team when he was placed in the same situation.

Weatherford has also been the holder on placekicks the past two weeks with Sage Rosenfels out. We know Dodge is a disaster as a holder, and with Rosenfels seemingly in danger of losing his roster spot that would be another advantage for the veteran Weatherford".

Personally, I'm pulling for Dodge because I think he has a hell of future. But come Saturday....one will be out of work.

"Weatherford may have gained the upper hand. He had two punts for a 37.5-yard average, with one downed inside the 20. Dodge had two punts for a 44-yard average. The difference? When Dodge was asked to drop a punt around the 10-yard line he blasted one into the end zone. Sure, he got a bad snap from Zak DeOssie, but that is the kind of pressure situation the Giants need Dodge to be able to handle. Weatherford, on the other hand, dropped a perfect kick on the 10-yard line that spun back to the coverage team when he was placed in the same situation.

Weatherford has also been the holder on placekicks the past two weeks with Sage Rosenfels out. We know Dodge is a disaster as a holder, and with Rosenfels seemingly in danger of losing his roster spot that would be another advantage for the veteran Weatherford".

Personally, I'm pulling for Dodge because I think he has a hell of future. But come Saturday....one will be out of work.

Didn't Dodge's hit around the 5 and bounce in, while Weatherford's bounced back out to near the 20 before it was downed? That's a pretty low percentage play and there's no way you can consistently get it to bounce favourably. The kick is used by Aussie Rules players; kicking the nose of the ball to get power + backspin. Getting it down inside the 10 only works if your Gunner makes it there in time to make the play. Pretty dumb argument IMO.

The kick I'm surprised they don't use is the "torpedo"; drop the ball on about a 20o angle to get to spiralling for max distance. It's the perfect kick for sideline plays.

Didn't Dodge's hit around the 5 and bounce in, while Weatherford's bounced back out to near the 20 before it was downed? That's a pretty low percentage play and there's no way you can consistently get it to bounce favourably. The kick is used by Aussie Rules players; kicking the nose of the ball to get power + backspin. Getting it down inside the 10 only works if your Gunner makes it there in time to make the play. Pretty dumb argument IMO.

The kick I'm surprised they don't use is the "torpedo"; drop the ball on about a 20o angle to get to spiralling for max distance. It's the perfect kick for sideline plays.

I think that's the type of kick what they use for coffin corner punts, don't they? I could be wrong.

And I don't understand why the two punters kicked the ball like they have been, anyway. Maybe I'm just so used to Feagles, but I thought the goal of pinning the opponent inside the 20 was accomplished by kicking it directionally to a sideline and aiming it to go out of bounds as near the goalline as possible. Landing it on the 5 and hoping it either bounces or someone downs it is a pretty passive way to try to pin the opponent with bad field position, IMO.

I think that's the type of kick what they use for coffin corner punts, don't they? I could be wrong.

And I don't understand why the two punters kicked the ball like they have been, anyway. Maybe I'm just so used to Feagles, but I thought the goal of pinning the opponent inside the 20 was accomplished by kicking it directionally to a sideline and aiming it to go out of bounds as near the goalline as possible. Landing it on the 5 and hoping it either bounces or someone downs it is a pretty passive way to try to pin the opponent with bad field position, IMO.

I think the "coffin corner" punters like Feagles are a dieing breed, more coaches want their punters to have range to get them out of a bad situation then accuracy.

Dodge should get some props for fielding that terrible snap absolutely cleanly from DeOssie....and there's no way adjusting to the terrible snap didn't throw him off a bit on the kick...

Once you're fielding a one hop snap you're not thinking coffin corner punt you're thinking just get this darn punt off...and rightfully so...

-Z

Dodge should get some props for fielding that terrible snap absolutely cleanly from DeOssie....and there's no way adjusting to the terrible snap didn't throw him off a bit on the kick...

Once you're fielding a one hop snap you're not thinking coffin corner punt you're thinking just get this darn punt off...and rightfully so...

-Z

Yea I agree, I think it was bigblue01 who was

Knocking dodge for that punt but I pointed out that the snap was terrible. ( rare for DeOssie )

I like Dodge, and had him winning this battle, but Valentine brought up a key point... Weatherford can hold for the kicker. Rosenfels isn't going to make this team in my opinion. I simply makes no sense since Carr is at least as good an option as Rosenfels (maybe better) and Carr makes $1 mil compared to Sage's $3 mil. Seeing as Carr isn't a holder, you have to believe that Weatherford's ability to be the holder makes him the obvious choice.

100% agreed.

It spun back to the 20 yd line....you forgot to addd that.......hardly a pooch punt

Dodge has the stronger leg

I dont know

Either guy will do fine

least of our worries

our bigger issue is stoping kick returns...........they miss Blackburn for sure

Yea I agree, I think it was bigblue01 who was

Knocking dodge for that punt but I pointed out that the snap was terrible. ( rare for DeOssie )

The kick would have been terrible, regardless if it one hopped to him (which aren't that difficult for a pro punter who spends entire practices fielding snaps and punting).

Dodge is so bad. If he's out on your own 20 you have to be worried because his line drive 60 yard punt will be returned 30 yards at least. If he's out on the opponents 40, he'll boom one, center of the field, into the end zone instead of aiming for the sidelines, anyway.

It will be a travesty if Steve Weatherford doesn't win the job.

Guest StrahansGap

You know what's really sad? A thread regarding which punter we should take is still atop the Giants section with 17 posts. A thread like this would have lasted an hour a few years ago when we had an offense. Especially the offense we had before our star WR shot himself in the leg. Now, I feel a genuine fear growing amongst us Sportswrathians in regards to our beloved blue. What a goddamn shame......

You know what's really sad? A thread regarding which punter we should take is still atop the Giants section with 17 posts. A thread like this would have lasted an hour a few years ago when we had an offense. Especially the offense we had before our star WR shot himself in the leg. Now, I feel a genuine fear growing amongst us Sportswrathians in regards to our beloved blue. What a goddamn shame......

No fear here.

Nicks is/will be the beat WR to ever play for the Giants, Manningham will probly end up 3rd best. Got shiploads of young talent at WR and one or two of them will rise up and do a great job for us ( Hixon and Thomas? Barden? Week 14 JJ? )

TE is a joke but Beckum is a good receiving TE.

RBs are as good as ever same with the OL ( Beatty really impressed me in the Jets game)

Punter is being discussed because it involves Matt Dodge.

"Growing" fear? Did you go to the bathroom during all the ST plays last year? I sense relief more than fear.

Plus a top 5 D

Osi, I love you man, but you're getting your Stretch Armstrong on here. Our secondary is in tatters... the middle of our DL and LBs are still a ?.... the last couple years, our D NEVER came up with the big stop. the track record simply is not there for a top 5 D. Top 10? maybe I could agree.... but prob not. i really think we are middle of the pack at the moment

Guest StrahansGap

Plus a top 5 D so having a good

Punter helps the Big Blue Wrecking Crew out.

Our pass defense is going to be among the worst in the NFL this year. Nobody will run on us. But when we face an opponent with an accurate QB and fast WR's....we're done!