SportsWrath

First Cuts must be made today by 4:00PM

BleedinBlue

First cuts are coming today and boy do we have a lot to choose from.

From True Blue:

"The roster will shrink to 80 by 4 p.m. today as teams make their first rounds of league-mandated cuts.

The Giants have a bit of a head start, given CB Terrell Thomas (ACL) is on injured reserve and DT Marvin Austin (torn pectoral) likely is headed there. That would theoretically leave them with eight cuts to make.

But it doesn’t get any easier, as the 53-man rosters have to be set by Saturday afternoon.

And in between, the Giants will have two light workouts before traveling to New England to face the Patriots Thursday night in their final preseason game".

Hopefully by Saturday afternoon when all teams are down to 53, there'll be a decent TE and a decent kick returner available and a true gunner. I can't believe the Giants are going to sit pat with our TE and ST situation.

The Giants only have to cut 7 players. If they move Austin to IR, then only 6 players.

My guess: Todd Watkins (WR), Christian Hopkins (TE), Craig Marshall (DE), Ibrahim Abdulai (DT), Chris White (OC), Derrick Martin (S)

If they decide to not IR Marvin Austin yet, I suggest Jerrel Jernigan but my guess will be Brant Clouser (OG).

I would also be happy with cutting Lawrence Tynes. Just a suggestion, TC.

The Giants only have to cut 7 players. If they move Austin to IR, then only 6 players.

My guess: Todd Watkins (WR), Christian Hopkins (TE), Craig Marshall (DE), Ibrahim Abdulai (DT), Chris White (OC), Derrick Martin (S)

If they decide to not IR Marvin Austin yet, I suggest Jerrel Jernigan but my guess will be Brant Clouser (OG).

I would also be happy with cutting Lawrence Tynes. Just a suggestion, TC.

This cut should be relatively easy and names most people never even heard of. Saturday is going be completely different and there will be some jaws dropping. And if we pick up a couple of vets that were cut, we'll have to get rid of even more to make room.

I wish during the strike, the owners demanded to have a larger practice squad allowing several (3 or 4) plaayers marked as untouchable under certain conditions. Since projects take a year or two, it doesn't seem right that a team invests money and time training a player to get into NFL shape, only to see him get scooped off the squad by another team just as the guy is almost ready to step up to the big team. Seen that too many times.

This cut should be relatively easy and names most people never even heard of. Saturday is going be completely different and there will be some jaws dropping. And if we pick up a couple of vets that were cut, we'll have to get rid of even more to make room.

I wish during the strike, the owners demanded to have a larger practice squad allowing several (3 or 4) plaayers marked as untouchable under certain conditions. Since projects take a year or two, it doesn't seem right that a team invests money and time training a player to get into NFL shape, only to see him get scooped off the squad by another team just as the guy is almost ready to step up to the big team. Seen that too many times.

Yea I couldn't agree more

Come on Bleeding...dont' die with a secret...who do you think gets cut on Saturday?

Do you think Sash sticks?

C. Wagon

Come on Bleeding...dont' die with a secret...who do you think gets cut on Saturday?

Do you think Sash sticks?

C. Wagon

Yeah....I think Sash will make the team. He's shown flashes in preseason and hasn't made any really bonehead plays.

I couldn't begin to figure out all the cuts that will be made Saturday, but for a lot of guys, it's the end of the road. As far as "surprises" go.....I think Sintim might be a surprise cut. I will be surprised and not surprised if they cut Jernigan. Whenever they've cut a guy they drafted, it's rare and usually a last round reach. Jernigan was such a high draft pick I think they will have a hard time figuring out what to do. On the other hand....sometimes it's best to cut your losses early.

Giants don't have to pare down to 80 today after given a reprieve from the NFL:

From TrueBlue.com "Despite an NFL-mandated first round of roster cuts paring teams down to 80 players, both the Giants and the Jets received permission to keep 85 until Friday afternoon, thanks to a memo from Commissioner Roger Goodell.

The extra three days were given due to the postponement of the Giants-Jets preseason game to Monday caused by Hurricane Irene. The 48-hour delay will force both teams to play two games in four days".

Yeah....I think Sash will make the team. He's shown flashes in preseason and hasn't made any really bonehead plays.

I couldn't begin to figure out all the cuts that will be made Saturday, but for a lot of guys, it's the end of the road. As far as "surprises" go.....I think Sintim might be a surprise cut. I will be surprised and not surprised if they cut Jernigan. Whenever they've cut a guy they drafted, it's rare and usually a last round reach. Jernigan was such a high draft pick I think they will have a hard time figuring out what to do. On the other hand....sometimes it's best to cut your losses early.

I hope so....I really thought he'd be more of a impact guy on Special Teams....haven't seen that yet. Maybe on Thursday. Thanks Bleeding.

C>W agon.

Notable cuts on Saturday are going to be Andre Brown, Adrian Tracy, Phillip Dillard, Darius Reynaud, and possibly Sage Rosenfels... but I'm hoping they will trade Rosenfels just prior to Saturday.

I called that when we drafted him. :cool:

Adrian Tracy will make the team. Dave Tollenson will not...

I disagree......respectfully though :rolleyes: .

Tollefson has been with the Giants since 2007, knows the system, knows his role, and plays a very solid backup. Tracy missed most of last year with that dislocated elbow and I haven't read much about him playing well. Although, I certainly don't know everything that goes on in camp or how the coaches think.

Anyway.....I think Tollefson is more endeared to the coaches than Tracy.

Might not have to cut Rosenfels thanks to the third QB rule to come out of the CBA.

Notable cuts on Saturday are going to be Andre Brown, Adrian Tracy, Phillip Dillard, Darius Reynaud, and possibly Sage Rosenfels... but I'm hoping they will trade Rosenfels just prior to Saturday.

Might not have to cut Rosenfels thanks to the third QB rule to come out of the CBA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Tempest, but doesn't the third QB rule pertain to game days, allowing a 3rd QB to dress (effectively allowing a 46th man to be active), just in the case the top 2 QB's get hurt?

It doesn't affect the roster limit of 53, from what I could tell. So what I'm saying is that as it pertains to the 53 man roster, I don't believe the Giants will take up one of those spots for a 3rd QB, as they have not in the past couple of seasons.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Tempest, but doesn't the third QB rule pertain to game days, allowing a 3rd QB to dress (effectively allowing a 46th man to be active), just in the case the top 2 QB's get hurt?

It doesn't affect the roster limit of 53, from what I could tell. So what I'm saying is that as it pertains to the 53 man roster, I don't believe the Giants will take up one of those spots for a 3rd QB, as they have not in the past couple of seasons.

Also paying $4 million for 2 backup QBs seems untenable especially when Eli doesn't get hurt much. One of those 2 are getting cut/traded.