SportsWrath

What We Learned from the Jets Game

Allstarjim

1. We learned Antrel Rolle is indeed going to be the nickel corner. Deon Grant fills the FS role in that set.

2. We learned that even though the Giants struggled to get pressure at times, the defense is still very stout. The Jets struggled to make first downs in the first half.

3. Eli has major timing and decision making issues to work through.

4. Jernigan only makes this team by the grace of TC.

6. As good as Carr can look at times, he can also make you :facepalm:

7. DJ Ware is going to be the 3rd string RB again, and he should.

8. Ahmad Bradshaw gave the offense a big lift, and he is in midseason form... Ready to go!

9. Aaron Ross is ready to step up. He played another big game.

10. Tyler Sash can bring it.

11. Clint Sintim is actually going to make this team. He played well.

12. Giants went to a 2 RB set at times with Jacobs/Ware and Bradshaw/Ware on the field at the same time tonight. I don't remember seeing that before. Gilbride looks like he's going to use this set likely to offset the lack of good option at TE.

Position battle breakdown:

I think Ware locked the job down as 3rd RB. Rolle is definitley the nickel. Sintim makes the team as Kiwi's primary backup. Weatherford/Dodge=PUSH. Devin Thomas didn't do himself any favors by muffing the kickoff but redeemed himself on a beautiful 1st down catch where he fought for yardage on 3rd and long.

I'm glad to read a thread that focuses on the positives because there were so many negatives to worry about last night.

I agree on your assessment of Carr. Last week I was so impressed....this week, nope. What was that little shuttle pass thing to the ground all about? He just looked like a Rugby player wanting to get rid of the ball.

I was impressed with Ross' play. I also thought Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Ware look like an awesome tandem of RB's. Safeties and LB'rs look the most solid I've seen in a long time.

I'm glad to read a thread that focuses on the positives because there were so many negatives to worry about last night.

I agree on your assessment of Carr. Last week I was so impressed....this week, nope. What was that little shuttle pass thing to the ground all about? He just looked like a Rugby player wanting to get rid of the ball.

I was impressed with Ross' play. I also thought Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Ware look like an awesome tandem of RB's. Safeties and LB'rs look the most solid I've seen in a long time.

Eli threw 2 interceptions :smartass:

2. We learned that even though the Giants struggled to get pressure at times, the defense is still very stout. The Jets struggled to make first downs in the first half.

:unsure:

Ummm....are you talking about the 1st team D??? Because if you are, you were watching a totally different game. They didnt struggle to get pressure at all. They were puttin pressure on Sanchez constantly.

Eli threw 2 interceptions :smartass:

That's as big a worry to me as the horrible special teams play. These mental lapses where Eli just shuts down all brain power and tries to throw a pass into an obvious potential interception is a huge problem. Why he doesn't throw the ball away when there's no good option to throw to is beyond me. He really needs to get his head in the game and step up big time.

:unsure:

Ummm....are you talking about the 1st team D??? Because if you are, you were watching a totally different game. They didnt struggle to get pressure at all. They were puttin pressure on Sanchez constantly.

I'm going to refer you to the first Jets drive of the second half. Plus I said, "at times". At times, the Jets gave Sanchez some time. But there was a good deal of hurries, if not sacks.

If Da’Rel Scott played, it had to be on special teams because he wasn't part of the offense from all I could tell. If he slipped in towards the end, he never got a touch.

He did not. Andre Brown got the late game carries. I expect to see a lot of Da'Rell Scott next game, though.

Also a positive.....the timing issues Eli and the R corp are having are not unique to them. I've watched a good deal of Pre-season and without exception this is an issue for all NFL teams to one degree or another...which means the first part of the season is going to be dominated by the run game...and we got a pretty good one with what I think are three pretty strong backs.

C. Wagon

1. We learned Antrel Rolle is indeed going to be the nickel corner. Deon Grant fills the FS role in that set.

There was pressure, just no sacks to show for it. I see real signs from JPP... he plays with pace, he's definitely trying to learn to set up his pass rush moves. I feel pretty good about that part of the D.

Rolle got dropped from CB because he lacked the quicks for it... I feel less good about him playing nickel.

3. Eli has major timing and decision making issues to work through.

4. Jernigan only makes this team by the grace of TC.

Eli will be okay... he doesn't get focused for meaningless snaps.

Jernigan better save the tape from last night's game because that will be the last time he's in an NFL uniform.

6. As good as Carr can look at times, he can also make you :facepalm:

7. DJ Ware is going to be the 3rd string RB again, and he should.

I think you were right about Ware. I still don't like a lot of his choices (the goal line run was especially pathetic, he left his feet comically early), but he does run with good balance in traffic and generally goes north-south. Unfortunately Andre Brown didn't do anything to distinguish himself. He looked like a 3rd stringer playing with 3rd stringers.

8. Ahmad Bradshaw gave the offense a big lift, and he is in midseason form... Ready to go!

9. Aaron Ross is ready to step up. He played another big game.

10. Tyler Sash can bring it.

11. Clint Sintim is actually going to make this team. He played well.

And no fumbles from Bradshaw either, so thats BETTER than mid-season form!

Agreed on Ross, Sash, and... maybe Sintim. I don't know, I saw him recover a fumble, and he didn't crap the bed out there when Kiwi went out, so thats good. I had high hopes for him that I'd all but written off.

12. Giants went to a 2 RB set at times with Jacobs/Ware and Bradshaw/Ware on the field at the same time tonight. I don't remember seeing that before. Gilbride looks like he's going to use this set likely to offset the lack of good option at TE.

Position battle breakdown:

I think Ware locked the job down as 3rd RB. Rolle is definitley the nickel. Sintim makes the team as Kiwi's primary backup. Weatherford/Dodge=PUSH. Devin Thomas didn't do himself any favors by muffing the kickoff but redeemed himself on a beautiful 1st down catch where he fought for yardage on 3rd and long.

Argh, stupid internet pirate feed... I didn't realize the 2 back set was absent a fullback. Interesting, but players from both teams said after the game that they were trying to keep everything secret, so I don't know if we can read into that formation or anything else the Jets or Giants did last night.

I like the way Devin Thomas runs... I can forgive the muffed kickoff, everyone gets one. Jergens though, that guy.... I feel bad for him, but if he's choking in a pre-season game I'll never be able to trust him in the post-season.

A rugby player would never do that.

Jim was dead on about Rolle at nickel :WS: Makes sense with the depth we have at Safety. I'm very happy with Ross too, hope he and Spiderman stay healthy.

I'm not sure any of the WRs helped their cause last night, though that was more on the QBs and some very good coverage by the Jets.

A rugby player would never do that.

Jim was dead on about Rolle at nickel :WS: Makes sense with the depth we have at Safety. I'm very happy with Ross too, hope he and Spiderman stay healthy.

I'm not sure any of the WRs helped their cause last night, though that was more on the QBs and some very good coverage by the Jets.

I've only witnessed two rugby games and I watched them because my son was on the team. He was 19 years old, weighed about 190 lbs and wasn't nearly as big as the players on his team, most of which were the boys from Watertown, NY who were members of the 10th Mountain Division and built like bulldozers....I mean 250-300 lbs of solid muscle. When my son had the ball, I'd yell, "get rid of it Stephen, get rid of it now". Sometimes he did, sometimes he didn't.....mostly didn't. I can't believe he didn't get injured more often as he was constantly at the bottom of scrums.

Probably not a good example of rugby as you know it....certainly not professional rugby.

Still, the way Carr flipped the ball off to the right on the ground was the worst QB pass I have ever seen.....it that was supposed to be a pass.

I've only witnessed two rugby games and I watched them because my son was on the team. He was 19 years old, weighed about 190 lbs and wasn't nearly as big as the players on his team, most of which were the boys from Watertown, NY who were members of the 10th Mountain Division and built like bulldozers....I mean 250-300 lbs of solid muscle. When my son had the ball, I'd yell, "get rid of it Stephen, get rid of it now". Sometimes he did, sometimes he didn't.....mostly didn't. I can't believe he didn't get injured more often as he was constantly at the bottom of scrums.

Probably not a good example of rugby as you know it....certainly not professional rugby.

Still, the way Carr flipped the ball off to the right on the ground was the worst QB pass I have ever seen.....it that was supposed to be a pass.

True, but a rugby player would pass it backwards. Throwing it forward is a penalty.

True, but a rugby player would pass it backwards. Throwing it forward is a penalty.

Oh....I wasn't aware. When I watched my son in rugby games all I cared about was his safety as he was so outweighed and playing a game in which he was in over his head. When the rugby team came through my son's funeral line and shook my hand, it was like shaking hands with the paw of a bear attached to an oak tree. Those guys were tough guys. They were also very kind to my son and took him under their wings like one of their own. To this day, I have no idea how my kid ever ended up on that rugby team. It was something he got into himself while traveling around the state. It was my only experience with rugby and it looked really dangerous for my son.

jernigan will not be cut.

Coughlin quote:

"We try to do the best we can during the preseason to stay away from (Hixon returning punts), because of the obvious," Coughlin said, "but obviously we're going to have to rethink that a little bit."

From Ralph V's article on The Blue Screen.

Not sure why he's not considering Thomas in that role. I know Thomas had that one flub, but other than that one he's been pretty damn good. If he can return kicks why not punts?