SportsWrath

Giants searching for CB - Lito Sheppard?

BleedinBlue

From Mike Garafolo:

Giants to work out cornerbacks on Wednesday, report says

The Giants aren't wasting time looking for candidates to help fill the void created by the loss of Terrell Thomas.

And they're trying not to waste any money, either.

The team will bring in some veteran cornerbacks on Wednesday, according to Jason LaCanfora of the NFL Network. But LaCanfora notes a key aspect of the Giants' search is the team is looking for players willing to sign for the veteran minimum, which has already scared off former Colts corner Kevin Hayden.

Now, with that being said, who could possibly fit the profile? Well, none other than former Eagles, Jets and Vikings cornerback Lito Sheppard.

This morning, I updated my blog entry on Prince Amukamara to add a note about Drew Rosenhaus' including Sheppard on his list of players willing to play for the veteran minimum. Rosenhaus sent said list to all 32 teams before the start of free agency. Defensive tackle Gabe Watson was also on there, so the Giants brought him in and signed him.

Sheppard, 30, is a two-time Pro Bowl selection who has lost some of the twinkle in his star since being traded from the Eagles to the Jets after Philly signed Asante Samuel. He's started only 11 games combined in the past two seasons for the Jets and Vikings. Still, for a minimum salary benefit, Sheppard could wind up being a solid addition.

Given the Giants' needs and their approach to a potential signing - combined with Rosenhaus' saying Sheppard would play for the minimum - I'd be stunned if Sheppard doesn't at least come in for a workout.

you dont think Lito knows a bit about how Andy Reid thinks?

it's been awhile since he played there. Jim Johnson was the DC when Sheppard was there. I guess it couldn't hurt, we need depth now in the worst way. I wish we were going after Kelvin Hayden, he is still young and knows the Tampa 2. Apparently he won't play for vet minimum, so Reese won't pay him, anything other then that.

We are about 4.8M under the cap according to the last figures I saw. I believe they want some room to make Osi happy and keep a couple of our other players who will be free agents. Therefore, they want minimum wage free agent vets to fill backup holes. I believe that the cap number only sums the top 50 players, so basically, a min wage vet wouldn't count against the cap.

if we get rid of sage thats another 3 mil off the cap.

yep, Manningham is a free agent, at years end, we cannot let him walk. McKenzie is in a contract year and is making 4.3 million. I would guess we draft a OT in next years draft, we have too. I still think we are fine even with injuries and players lost, this year.

We have 5 healthy CBs on our roster.

2 were our SB corners. 1 has looked good in pre season. The other 2 are no names. I dont see how this could not be a good move. I hope we sign Lito.

If you are bringing in Lito Sheppard at this stage of the game you are beyond desperate.

If you are bringing in Lito Sheppard at this stage of the game you are beyond desperate.

For a 3rd string fill in, not really.; You must be thinkin of your team. Thats a boatload to worry about itself. Lito would IMPROVE your secondary.