SportsWrath

Osi Umenyiora Has Arthroscopic Knee Surgery

Mr. P

The Giants have announced that DE Osi Umenyiora is undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his troublesome right knee this morning. The procedure is being performed by team physician Dr. Russell Warren at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan.

“It is a simple debridement,” said Ronnie Barnes, the team’s Vice President of Medical Services, who estimated Umenyiora’s recovery time to be approximately three-to-four weeks.

“Osi called me at the end of the day yesterday to let me know that he wanted to have the surgery now,” said General Manager Jerry Reese. “After practicing for three days he had some swelling in the knee, and it was clear that we were going to have to adjust his practice routine to every other day to maintain his knee.

Umenyiora, who has been in a contract dispute with the Giants, had sought a second opinion on his bothersome knee from an Atlanta-based orthopedic surgeon who reportedly believed that Umenyiora’s knee could be managed and surgery delayed.

However, after experiencing swelling in the joint despite trying to increase his activity and get back on the field, Umenyiora apparently felt it would be in everyone’s best interest if he got the problem resolved sooner than later.

“It was better to do it now as opposed to mid season,” Umenyiora said in a statement released by the team. “It was going to have to be done – the only question was when. If I’m going to miss a little while, I would prefer it be now than at the crucial part of our season. It’s the best decision for the team and myself.”

Head coach Tom Coughlin said he has not ruled Umenyiora out for the team’s September 11 opener against Washington.

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/2646?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Annoying, but at least he shouldn't miss much time.

smart move on his part but why didn't he do this n the off season......I had it done

its 90 days to recover and 1 year to full strength

because he wanted to do it AFTER he got a bigger contract.

smart move on his part but why didn't he do this n the off season......I had it done

its 90 days to recover and 1 year to full strength

If this is true. Then Osi just screwed us again. Freaking guy can't/won't be ever playing 100% for us. This really piss me off. Thinking of burning his jersey!!

If this is true. Then Osi just screwed us again. Freaking guy can't/won't be ever playing 100% for us. This really piss me off. Thinking of burning his jersey!!

It's not true. It's a clean out from the last surgery, not a new reconstruction. It won't take long to heal and won't have any effect on the knee's strength.

And that's why I doubt he will be a Giant beyond this season. This is Jermey Shockey all over again.

This is absolutely NOTHING like Shockey. Shockey never held out, never demanded a contract reworking, never asked to be traded and never said shit to the media until AFTER he was traded to the Saints.

This is absolutely NOTHING like Shockey. Shockey never held out, never demanded a contract reworking, never asked to be traded and never said shit to the media until AFTER he was traded to the Saints.

The end result is what I meant... the dude is a head case and the Giants are not in the mood.

The end result is what I meant... the dude is a head case and the Giants are not in the mood.

I don't think that's true either. Reese just didn't think he was worth his contract in our system, especially when the Saints were offering a 2nd and 5th for him.

I don't think that's true either. Reese just didn't think he was worth his contract in our system, especially when the Saints were offering a 2nd and 5th for him.

Would you take a 2nd and a 5th for Osi?