SportsWrath

Mets' Insider Rumours

Blue Jeans

Florida Just say no ... fire sale

Apr 17 - Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria has no plans to trade Dontrelle Willis or Miguel Cabrera, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports. Loria told several media outlets April 14 that speculation about either player going the way of their former high-salaried teammates is unfounded.

"I feel good about that," Cabrera told the newspaper. "I don't want to leave this team. I want to be on this team for a long time because they gave me my first opportunity in the big leagues. I've never thought that next year I'm going to arbitration and I'm going to make a lot of money. I just have to keep playing baseball the way I have to play."

Both Willis and Cabrera will be arbitration-eligible after the season and should command upward of $6.5 million apiece. That would account for a significant payroll increase from this year's $15 million on-field outlay. Willis is making $4.35 million and Cabrera is at $372,000.

This should put a stop to FOX News Sports guy for saying we may be going after Willis.

Jeremy Affeldt

Royals Mets? Shea hello?

Apr 17 - According to the Newark Star-Ledger, the Mets are on the lookout for bullpen help, and they've remained in contact with the Royals about Jeremy Affeldt and Mike MacDougal -- two pitchers who interested them in the offseason.

Lenny Harris

Marlins Phillies?

Mets?

Angels? The waiting game

Apr 12 - Lenny Harris remains unemployed but continues to hold out hope he'll land on his feet in the majors, the Miami Herald reports. He has had contact with the Angels, Mets and Phillies.

"I'm still working out," Harris told the newspaper.

Cliff Floyd

Mets No-worries approach

Apr 13 - Cliff Floyd is in the walk year of his contract with the Mets, but he insists that's not a concern right now, Newsday reports. "I just want to play good because I know this team is going to win," Floyd told the newspaper. "The biggest question I've been getting lately from my friends is, 'Are you worried about your contract?' I made $50 million in this game, why would I worry about money? I made more money than I ever thought I would after breaking my wrist in 20 different places."

Barry Zito

Athletics

Mets?

Yankees?

Focus on the present

Apr 19 - According to the Contra Costa Times, Barry Zito doesn't mind hearing his name pop up in trade talks. "It doesn't bother me," Zito told the newspaper. "It's a moot point unless something happens."

Newsday reported that A's GM Billy Beane was "investigating" possibilities for a deal, though he said he didn't believe there was a right fit.

Zito hasn't thought about which team might sign him if the A's let him walk after his option season. Both New York teams likely will be the top bidders. "It's so far away," he said. "It takes your thoughts off what's going on here."

Victor Zambrano

Mets Sour Apple ... of their eye

Apr 19 - Victor Zambrano's days with the Mets might be numbered if his struggles continue, The New York Daily News reports. The team's fans already have turned on the right-hander, and the booing may only get louder, to the point where the Mets have their own Jeff Weaver situation. Yankee fans ran Weaver out of town a few years ago, booing him with such ferocity that the ballclub felt it had no choice but to trade him.

Jeremy Affeldt? Yuck. I don't really like that one.

I even see Florida breaking the bank to bring Cabrera back. He's the face of their franchise and it'll stay that way for a while. Willis is another story. They got prospects coming up at pitching and they may only be able to keep one of those two if they are lucky. And they have to keep Miguel.

Jeremy Affeldt? Yuck. I don't really like that one.

I even see Florida breaking the bank to bring Cabrera back. He's the face of their franchise and it'll stay that way for a while. Willis is another story. They got prospects coming up at pitching and they may only be able to keep one of those two if they are lucky. And they have to keep Miguel.

The trade would really be for Mike MacDougal.